[YT] Star Citizen Full CitizenCon 2018 Presentation (4K) - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[YT] Star Citizen Full CitizenCon 2018 Presentation (4K)

post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
tiefox Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by 2Luke2 View Post
I believe what he's saying is that this is not just "graphics" or "fluff" this part of how the game will look and feel and is like nothing else out there currently. All this contributes to the living and breathing world they are trying to create which makes for much more immersive game play in a lot of people's opinions. Well at least in the opinions of at least some of the 500ish people that are working on the project currently and some of the 2.15 million Citizens backing it.
Exactly. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
toncij Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
Citizen "Con"? Con being the operative word?

lol

My GPUsWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
3dfx Voodoo, 2x3dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Creative Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 256, ATi Radeon 3D Rage Fury MAXX, GeForce 2 Ultra, ATi Radeon DDR 7500, ATi Radeon 8500, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, ATi Radeon 9800 XT, ATi Radeon X600 XT, ATi Radeon X850 XT, GeForce 8800GTX, ATi Radeon X1650 XT, GeForce GTX 280, ATi Radeon HD 2900XT, ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2, GeForce GTX 480, ATi Radeon HD 7970 (x2), GeForce GTX 780Ti, GeForce Titan Black (x4), GeForce 970 (x2), GeForce Titan X (x19), AMD RadeonProDuo (x2), GeForce 1080 (x2), Titan X (Pascal) (x2), EVGA FTW 1080 (x2), Quadro P6000 (x2), 1080Ti FE (x2), Titan Xp (x2), TITAN V+ 1080Ti (x2)
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
2Luke2 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
Citizen "Con"? Con being the operative word?
What do you know about Star Citizen being a "Con"?

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
"It’s not a bug in the game’s code, it’s a bug in your moral code."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net
MonarchX is an unknown quantity at this point MonarchX is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea behind Star Citizen is to keep people wanting it, developing JUST ENOUGH to keep people wanting it even more. All that desire = $$$. As long as they can pull it off, there never needs to be a release of anything. It's pretty good concept,, as long as you have the lawyers and all the necessary emergency exits in case top-level developers get caught off-guard (maybe drunk in a bar after another crunch) and (or say + show some evidence) that the game was never meant to be released and continue to be WIP for as long as its profitable!

The Machine
(17 items)
CPU
Core i7 8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus Hero X WiFi
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Classified Kingpin
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
LG WH12LS39 12x BD
Power Supply
Corsair 850W Gold
Cooling
Cryorig Universal R1 Dual Tower, 4x Noctua 140mm case fans
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809-17763
Monitor
LG 32GK850G-B
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
QcK
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX w/ UNi Xonar Low-latency drivers
Other
Xbox One Afterglow & Dual Shock 4 Controllers
Other
i1Display Pro colorimeter, i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer
▲ hide details ▲
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:38 PM
New to Overclock.net
ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
The idea behind Star Citizen is to keep people wanting it, developing JUST ENOUGH to keep people wanting it even more. All that desire = $$$. As long as they can pull it off, there never needs to be a release of anything. It's pretty good concept,, as long as you have the lawyers and all the necessary emergency exits in case top-level developers get caught off-guard (maybe drunk in a bar after another crunch) and (or say + show some evidence) that the game was never meant to be released and continue to be WIP for as long as its profitable!
Chris said on stage that there will be never be a "release date" of the Persistent Universe, no-one is hiding anything.

As long as AAA developers and their corporate overlords continue to rake in tens of billions of dollars and deliver the worst games in history there will be an unstoppable demand for Star Citizen.

That's the ironic thing, this is very much still a small project compared to many of the games put out by Ubisoft/EA/Activision, but in terms of new gameplay and game technology CIG is practically accomplishing infinitely more than any other developer in history.
Star Citizen exists because of a massive void in the gaming industry that has been ignored for so many years that people got tired of waiting and said "If I don't put my money down now, the game I want will never happen".
And it's not just backers putting money in, at this point we have a full "Circle of Life" with some people taking up a career in game development because of Star Citizen, and then being hired to work on the game that inspired them to take that career path in the first place.

Here's another interesting aspect of the success of Star Citizen. At this point just about anyone who would be interested in working on Star Citizen probably has a CIG studio nearby (Santa Monica CA and Austin Texas in the USA, Manchester in the U.K. and Frankfurt Germany).
Chris Roberts made poaching talent incredibly easy, and I have a feeling we're seeing some copy-cat behavior from major publishers now with new studios (Epic and Ubisoft) being opened in Stockholm resulting in large scale talent drain out of EA's DICE studio.
Watch enough developer interviews and you start to hear how "small" the game development industry really is. Good talent is in short supply, it just happened that Chris Roberts had a lot of good industry connections.
Actually being able to attract talented people will be key to the success of any ambitious game at this point, and CIG has done very well in this regard.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about EniGma1987 has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Good talent is in short supply, it just happened that Chris Roberts had a lot of good industry connections.

So THATS why almost every game sucks these days.

post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
elzhi Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post
As an aside from this, the basic package way back when at $40-45usd included current alpha/arena access along with Persistant Universe (PU, the mmo part), a basic ship and the single-player Squadron 42 campaign.

Ignoring the hubbub about how long it's taking to fully finish (heh) for $40 it was well worth what you got if you viewed it like a Steam early-access game. Arena dogfighting with a variety of ships (you could rent out ships with in-game credits instead of buying outright with real $$), a multiplayer first-person shooter mode that could easily be mistaken for a $20 good standalone title on Steam and constant access to the 'big' open universe part of the game as it was updated with new features.

I'll be honest, I've spent $40 on far worse things than the above. While i'm not a good pilot, I spent a good fun amount of hours in the FPS mode. Reminded me a lot of Shattered Horizon's gameplay almost a decade ago now.
Shattered Horizon, oh man that brings back memories, had almost 500 hours in that game, its a shame it was a flop, i guess the high graphics requirements and steep learning curve were just too much

Demerzel
(19 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370 PRO
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM
2 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 2tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 2tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Hard Drive
Sandisk 960GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Cooling
Noctua NH U12S
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Topre Realforce 88UB
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mouse
Perixx DX-2000
Audio
Grace Design m920
Audio
Genelec 8330
Other
Xbox Elite Controller
▲ hide details ▲
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
Sleuth

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
So THATS why almost every game sucks these days.

Duh, Chris roberts does everything right. Including that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in