[Kotaku] Command & Conquer Rivals Isn't What Fans Wanted, But It's Fun - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Kotaku] Command & Conquer Rivals Isn't What Fans Wanted, But It's Fun

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 14)
When EA bought Westwood it pretty much killed the C&C series. I remember reading most of the staff of Westwood studios left after EA acquired them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
When EA bought Westwood it pretty much killed the C&C series. I remember reading most of the staff of Westwood studios left after EA acquired them

They went and started Petroglyph Games. Their first game after that was Empire at War, which was fun for sure but not quite the same as Command and Conquer. It was actually quite disappointing how bad the land battles were in that game coming from the makers of C&C games. Then Universe at War and Grey Goo were well received but short lived. Their "8-bit" games they have made recently are fun for short periods too.

That actually got me thinking, it would be really great if EA were to outsource the remakes of these early C&C games they are doing to Petroglyph. Then the original creators could work on bringing their old games into modern times. Id trust Them to do it more than EA's in house studio.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 11-15-2018 at 07:57 AM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
When EA bought Westwood it pretty much killed the C&C series. I remember reading most of the staff of Westwood studios left after EA acquired them.

C&C went downhill from Generals. That was the turning point which signalled the demise of another franchise at the hands of EA.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
They went and started Petroglyph Games. Their first game after that was Empire at War, which was fun for sure but not quite the same as Command and Conquer. It was actually quite disappointing how bad the land battles were in that game coming from the makers of C&C games. Then Universe at War and Grey Goo were well received but short lived. Their "8-bit" games they have made recently are fun for short periods too.

That actually got me thinking, it would be really great if EA were to outsource the remakes of these early C&C games they are doing to Petroglyph. Then the original creators could work on bringing their old games into modern times. Id trust Them to do it more than EA's in house studio.
Empire At War was a great strategy game that had enough depth to play well. Their expansion, Force of Corruption, did some weird/unfavorable things with Galactic conquest, but for being such a tiny studio, I think they did a really great job.

I like most of Petro's games, looking to get Grey Goo soon to see if I like that as well.

EA is remaking the original Command and Conquer with input from fans. So we will have the old ones back soon with modern matchmaking and OS support. They already confirmed 0 microtransactions in the remake game.
Sauce pwease?

Quote: Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post
Apparently it's not too bad, which yes we know as fans isn't what we wanted but at least we're getting a new fun game in the series. Some mobiles games have worth.
It's sad that the game developers don't have to stay in touch with the gaming community at all. EA has left the "gaming community" for over 10 years and they continue to profit and rot from within.

Blizzard was the last hold out, but it seems a TON has changed over the last 3 years to yield Diablo: Immortals as a flagship launch at a PC gaming convention no less.

AMD Ryzen 2700X @ 4.15 Ghz | Dark Rock Pro TF | MSI B450M Mortar | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 Mhz @ 14-16-16-26 (2x8GB) | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini ITX | Corsair Force MP300 (480 Gb) | WD Black 2.0 TB (x2/RAID 0) | Corsair SF600 | CaseLabs BH-4 MicroATX Case
Orange Nitro Ryzen
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
MSI B450M Mortar
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Hard Drive
Corsair MP300
Power Supply
Corsair SF-600
Cooling
Arctic Freezer i11
Case
Case-Labs Bullet BH4
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional x64
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum
Mouse
Logitech G500S
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 AM
Tank destroyer and a god

Rep: 80 (Unique: 62)
If you want to make a new game for mobile platform, and you have a good idea for a gaming system, the best thing to do is to NOT reuse known franchise from PC. You would alienate original playerbase.

--- Building in progress * AMD Threadripper 1900x * Asrock X399M Taichi * Radeon VII * Gskill Xflare / Samsung B-die 3200 14-14-14-32 * Samsung 970 PRO 512gb * Fractal Design Node 804 * Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium *
--- Desktop * AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3,8GHz * ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 * Gigabyte R9 FuryX * A-Data XPG 2.0 / Elpida Hyper MNH 1866 @ 1600 6-6-6-18 * LSI 9211-8i / Raid 0 / 5x Corsair Force 3 GS * Creative Xfi Fatal1ty * Intel I210-T1 * Steelseries 6Gv2 * Logitech MX518 * Samsung U28E590D *
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by the1corrupted View Post
Sauce pwease?
https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandc...pdate_from_ea/

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Did I call that or what?

https://www.ea.com/news/details-comm...uer-remastered

Quote:
In addition to the excitement and support of this remaster initiative over the past month, there has also been a healthy skepticism that we can pull this off. How are we possibly going to remaster these titles while maintaining the authenticity of the original experiences? Bottom line, there is no better way to achieve this than to partner with some of the talented developers who brought these original games to life.
So, after years of the fans asking for their involvement, I am humbled to announce that EA is going to partner with Petroglyph Games to develop the C&C remastered collection

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
This was a really good short doco on the failings of C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkseid go_quote.gif
I could go on. And again, apologies if you're for teh realz, but putting "girl" in the title is like a dollar bill on a string, leading into a dark alley.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Garvani View Post
This was a really good short doco on the failings of C&C
The failings really started IMO with Generals. That was a turning point in the whole series where balance was shifted from equal D/O towards a more offense friendly design. Generals only leaned a bit more towards offense, Id say around 25%. But from all games past that the defensive parts were downplayed to greater extents with each game, becoming more and more about just masses of units with no concern for anything else. C&C 4 was the final step, where they even removed the majority of the bases itself and just made mobile unit creators and it was all about units entirely. This shift starting with generals is really what killed the games. Units only with no bases or defense concerns is not what RTS games are about, there needs to be a good balance of all aspects. Was Generals a fine game? Sure. Was C&C3 a fine game? Sure. But they weren't quite as good as the older games and things were starting to go downhill.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 11-16-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Quad Core? Quad Damage!

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
I'd rather they don't try to remaster the older games with the people who worked on C&C3 and RA3.

As someone who liked C&C1, Tiberian Sun and the Red Alerts (though Red Alert 2 was rather silly in many aspects) I was very disappointing on how they handled the sequels. They made some very questionable decisions when it came to design, story and gameplay and the whole games were dumbed down in order to try and move into the e-sports.

Long story short if they remake the classic C&C with people that don't 'get them' they might as well not do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in