[Phoronix]Valve Releases Artifact As Its Cross-Platform, Vulkan-Powered Digital Card Game - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phoronix]Valve Releases Artifact As Its Cross-Platform, Vulkan-Powered Digital Card Game

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 39)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
They are actually selling it? Well that's gonna get old soon.

You have to remember that the people who made good old Blizzard and one Valve games are long either retired, dead, or in other companies, long moved away from the jobs they once did at a small company with at least some freedom to create.
Yeah. I think their target audience is shifting toward platforms where money is more easily made, and trash is tolerated widely.
Not to say the era of PC gaming is over, far from it. You can't expect these old names who made it big at the beginning would last forever, or be the only ones.
I must say 90% of the games I play these days can fall safely into the indie dev category. And it's great.
There is more cool games out there than I can even possibly handle.
I think people are programmed to look at the brand names and tie them heavily to product quality. I think that is in our biology.
I know some guys who will only play Blizzard, Bethesda, and Valve games. They sneer when I talk about indie games.
Pretty soon they will either have to stop playing PC games or see it my way lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 AM
#!/bin/bash

Rep: 107 (Unique: 96)
Artifact is challenging and fun. As I want to go it hard it will cost me more money, a choice I make. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't.

I would also love some more Half Life... and if it comes, great. Valve doesn't owe me anything. But they will have my money if they bring a product I desire, and if not, then they won't. Brand loyalty is an error consumers make and business exploits (if they are clever).

I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Mainframe. My format: Guardian; to mend and defend. To defend my new-found friends, their hopes and dreams. To defend them from their enemies. They say the user lives outside the net and inputs games for pleasure. No one knows for sure, but I intend to find out. Reboot!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:40 AM
It Just Works

Stay tuned for Left 4 Dead as a battle royale, Team Fortress as an MMORPG, and a pinball game titled Half Life 3.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Wait cross-platform? Vulkan? Ohhh MacOS, Linux, and Windows... thats not cross platform, but cross OS. They could all run the exact same hardware with the same architecture... just changing out the operating system. Such a terrible article.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 452 (Unique: 373)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Valve can kick rocks. All faith in them as a game developer that cares about its fan base is long, long gone. This game just further solidifies that hard truth. What's next, Portal 3 as a iOS exclusive? Actually even if they did that, it would probably be a prequel to portal 1 and not 3 because we all know...
No lol, They've never done a 3rd of anything, it stops at 2.

Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Half Life Episode 2, Left 4 Dead 2
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post
No lol, They've never done a 3rd of anything, it stops at 2.

Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Half Life Episode 2, Left 4 Dead 2
To be fair, what possible explanation for the G-Man could exist that wouldn't be torn to shreds by at least half of the fanbase? It's kind of like the ending to LOST, I LOVED the last episode and how it ended, but then I had been a fan of Jack since episode 1. The loud people in all types of media ALL hated it.

So what would satisfy the hordes looking for answers about the G-Man? Is he an auditor/agent for an intergalactic holding company? Is he a shape shifting alien of a species that is an enemy to the Combine? Is he using an arcade game to recruit pilots out of trailer parks to fight against Zur and the Khodan Armada?

And that's just ONE question. How do you have Gordon and Alyx take down an entire alien army that's had a decade to dig in on Earth? SO yeah, I would have to say that it seems likely that Valve has trouble holding on to it's writing staff long enough to finish trilogies. Left4Dead and TeamFortress only get a new game with a new Half Life release, but then they are multiplayer only. Portal really needs to be combined with Half Life for HL3, if they ever do either game.

As for Artifact, I don't play card games. I am totally on board with the game being OS neutral, and using Vulkan especially. Thing is, the number of people that actually know what they are doing with Vulkan is still pretty small, although I have a feeling that it's going to go up once Sony finally releases the specs for the PS5. Little games like this build up experience at any studio.

Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Stay tuned for Left 4 Dead as a battle royale, Team Fortress as an MMORPG, and a pinball game titled Half Life 3.
Maybe a team based Battle Royale? Like with half a dozen different teams per match?

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 PM
#!/bin/bash

Rep: 107 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
Wait cross-platform?
True, there is only one platform *cough*pcmasterrace*cough*...

I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place: Mainframe. My format: Guardian; to mend and defend. To defend my new-found friends, their hopes and dreams. To defend them from their enemies. They say the user lives outside the net and inputs games for pleasure. No one knows for sure, but I intend to find out. Reboot!

Last edited by thenailedone; 11-30-2018 at 09:36 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by thenailedone View Post
True, there is only one platform *cough*pcmasterrace*cough*...
You know... Steam is the only "developer" who I feel actually would believe that having it run on Linux, MacOS, and Windows would considered that cross-platform.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 367 (Unique: 181)
Flash in the pan. Pointlessly difficult learning curve, incredibly obtuse to the viewer for streaming, not necessarily improved competitive aspects. It'll come, and it'll go, and eventually someone will talk about it and Gwent as the saviors of the genre that never were.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)

Wait, the game is pay to win... so it's just like a real collectible card game then?

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 12-04-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in