[Epic]Announcing the Epic Games Store - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Epic]Announcing the Epic Games Store

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 98)
Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
You're mad at them for focusing on a product making an infinite more amount of money than UT ever would?
Why not. No different than Valve not making Half-Life 3. You know they can afford it, and there's no shortage of capable developers out there, so there is NO dichotomy in those situations.

I'm mad that fans are treated like crap, that HL has ended on a cliffhanger 11 years ago. Why should I not be mad? Really, it's funny if I were to ask this of any company and any fanboys were to see it, they would complain that I am being "entitled" and that company X is making money and blah blah etc.

Funny how customers aren't allowed to have thoughts of their own and corporations are entitled to not being criticized. This isn't reductio ad absurdum, it's literally how the minds of some people are.

So personally I don't care about UT, but Half Life, I do. I don't have to kiss Valve's rear. I can dislike anything I want and say it. I honestly don't get why someone would be upset that a corporation is getting dissed. I think someone like that has affection and emotional issues LOL.

With that said I hate Epic and Fortnite for other reasons, but I can understand why someone would be mad over that series, UT3 also came out in 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by clerick View Post
I'm a huge UT fan since times old but considering how much money fortnite is bringing in I cant blame them at all for making such a smart financial decision. Fortnite in its one iteration has reached and impacted more people than UT ever will, it's just a different time now. I do hope they bring back some people to work on UT4 with the excess money they have though.
Same here. I was a pre-pre-alpha .zip build tester for UT4 before the epic launcher even existed and you had to manually install .zips from the forums. I am a HUGE UT fan and would have rather gotten UT4 than any other game possible. Fortnite is easy money though, and blew up way more than they expected so you can't fault them for moving resources to it. Would have been insane NOT to.

I'm just hoping that as Fortnite dies down, some of that money and resources trickles back into UT4. I wanna launch Redeemers from the top of Torlan again but in glorious UE4 HD.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Gamer

Rep: 67 (Unique: 57)
They cancelled Paragon as well, 7 million users were registered at the time of closing. The Paragon community was super pissed, as the Unreal Tournament community was. (was one of them, started playing the alpha in 2014)

swah

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 303 (Unique: 242)
Quote: Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post
Why not. No different than Valve not making Half-Life 3. You know they can afford it, and there's no shortage of capable developers out there, so there is NO dichotomy in those situations.
First off buddy, your avatar freaks me the heck out.

TBH, if I were GabeN, I'd probably not want to make a HL3 either. No way in heck it will live up to the fans expectations, tons of people will be mad about so many things in it (think the force awakens/the last jedi).

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 48)
Signed up to play in the paragon testing...
Now I get an email once a week saying someone is trying to log into my account, and you think I'm gonna trust you with my CC?

Get out of here.

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post
They cancelled Paragon as well, 7 million users were registered at the time of closing. The Paragon community was super pissed, as the Unreal Tournament community was. (was one of them, started playing the alpha in 2014)
While Paragon had a lot of users, the game was making them nothing and deviated FAR from their vision. Yeah, they scrapped it as a failure while it was in alpha/beta. Blizzard did the same with Project Titan to push forward with Overwatch. UT is still in development, it's just an alpha and has come a LONG way from when it started.

UT had its prime. It was massive. But the market is completely different where that style of an FPS is more of a niche community.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
I've had the launcher since it came out, I always assumed it would be a store. This isn't news to me.

While I'm not happy with Fortnite for many reasons, I can't blame them for making it their priority for now. It's easy money and will likely help fund many of their other projects. UT is legacy and they won't give up on it. There are so many games coming out these days, I'm ok waiting.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Not very happy with this company right now. Epic essentially killed/throttled the development of Unreal Tournament because of Fortnite. Until they give UT more love, I know a perfect location for their store.

I feel ya, but lets face it, UT it not very popular anymore except for us long time players (look at QC) and the honestly if they can make money from Fornite and put it towards UT to make it better im all for it.

Heatware: Nineball | TT Core X9 | [email protected] (1.26v) | MSI GTX 1080Ti FE 2101Mhz on stock BIOS | 16 G.Skill Trident RGB | Asus Hero Max X | 2 x EK MLC 360 Core with CPU and GPU block | Corsair AX1200i PSU
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 48)
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:56 PM
GPU Enthusiast

Rep: 185 (Unique: 140)
Steam is enough tyvm, Blizzard is lucky enough I have their app installed.

I know I'm probably one of few, but this is a one way ticket to make me never buy certain games. I do not want or need 30 different applications/storefronts to "rent" games from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in