[TheVerge] Counter-Strike: GO adds new battle royale mode and goes free-to-play - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TheVerge] Counter-Strike: GO adds new battle royale mode and goes free-to-play

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 359 (Unique: 236)
[TheVerge] Counter-Strike: GO adds new battle royale mode and goes free-to-play

Quote:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has now gone free-to-play, and with that change developers Valve and Hidden Path Entertainment have added a new battle royal game mode. The new mode is called Danger Zone and you can enter into a match with up to 18 other players, with the last one standing deemed the victor.

The Danger Zone battle royale mode starts off like other games in the genre, like Fortnite or PUBG, where you’re dropped into an .ever-shrinking map — CS:Go calls it the Blacksite — and need to hunt for guns and equipment. Drones also send down packages that can benefit your gameplay, similar to the supply drops of competing BR games. But in addition to fighting each other to the death, you can also take on missions and rescue hostages on your way around the map to earn a cash bonus when the game is over.

THE NEW UPDATE MIGHT ATTRACT PLAYERS TO RETURN TO THE GAME
Danger Zone matches each last about 10 minutes and you can participate by yourself or in teams of two or three. Each player also gets a bit more health, so they’re more able to tank attacks than they are in standard CS:GO matches, which is similar to how Call of Duty handles health in its BR mode Blackout in the recently released Black Ops 4.

CS:GO used to cost $15, so the new lack of a price tag might make the game appeal to people looking for a free-to-play first-person shooter to pick up. For players who already own the game, they’ll get a free upgrade to Prime Status, which is CS:GO’s premium tier that ordinarily costs an additional $15. (Prime Status players are also now able to earn a souvenir submachine gun to celebrate the launch.) While it’s unlikely that these new perks will knock Fortnite off its battle royale throne, they could entice quite a few lapsed CS:GO players to come back.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/1...play-expansion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Gamer

Rep: 67 (Unique: 57)
The game should have went free to play when skins first caught on. Kinda like what they did with TF2 when they started releasing all those hats.

About time though! I just finished playing the new BR mode.. It's okay, definitely leaves something to be desired.

swah

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Was tough..Could Camp one of those Towers and could kill everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 92)
Lol I never thought I would look back at the way CS:GO was at launch in envy. I remember I bought it right when it came out being the CS fan that I was and was shocked at how unpolished the game was. The UI/UX of the main menu felt like it was designed for a controller, the way stats/ranks were implemented looked like an early 2k console game, etc. The bar is so low now that it makes that look like the good old days.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
thier battle royal mode is pretty meh imo, only 16 players plus now they are giving the game away for free so all the hackers now can have unlimited accounts. yes there is "prime" version, however they say you are upgraded to prime for free if you reach rank 21 and add a phone number.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Lol I never thought I would look back at the way CS:GO was at launch in envy. I remember I bought it right when it came out being the CS fan that I was and was shocked at how unpolished the game was. The UI/UX of the main menu felt like it was designed for a controller, the way stats/ranks were implemented looked like an early 2k console game, etc. The bar is so low now that it makes that look like the good old days.
I think CS:GO was designed for the console too. The PC server files are setup way different than any previous multiplayer game i have setup before.
I'm still holding out hope the government will lay the smack down on Valve, for it's gambling loot crate system. Gabe Newell has no morals, when he sees nothing wrong with getting young kids addicted to gambling.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:54 PM
mfw

Rep: 359 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by buttface420 View Post
thier battle royal mode is pretty meh imo, only 16 players plus now they are giving the game away for free so all the hackers now can have unlimited accounts. yes there is "prime" version, however they say you are upgraded to prime for free if you reach rank 21 and add a phone number.
Well, the phone number is as much as deterrent as $10 is. You only have so many different ones at hand, and it'll probably cost you more to get another one.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MSim View Post
I think CS:GO was designed for the console too. The PC server files are setup way different than any previous multiplayer game i have setup before.
It doesn't really get better than the standard browser/list system perfected when CS was a mod. They re-invented the wheel with some matchmaking system that took them a few years to perfect which still sucked when it was done, only then to ruin the spirit of the game with loot boxes/micro transaction.

It reminds me of the actions a desperate junkie would take. Game starts out as traditional one time cost model, goes over to micro transactions and then finally in a desperate bid to farm every last dollar they release the thing as free to play hopping to get a few hundred thousand more hits from the influx of new players all while the existing player base/game play suffers from the downsides of having a free to play game.

now they are giving the game away for free so all the hackers now can have unlimited accounts.
There's that which is a problem that plagues all free games.

yes there is "prime" version, however they say you are upgraded to prime for free if you reach rank 21 and add a phone number.
Lol shows the state of the industry right there, add a phone number, for real... What could that possibly be used for.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:36 AM
mfw

Rep: 359 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Lol shows the state of the industry right there, add a phone number, for real... What could that possibly be used for.
Deterrent and account security/confirmation.

Don't worry, they don't call you.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Deterrent and account security/confirmation.

Don't worry, they don't call you.

They might as well be using your MSN or ICQ# then because that does little in terms of deterrent/security especially if your goal is to somehow avoid repeat hackers/cheaters re-registering. You can basically buy as many phone numbers as you want today using various services.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in