[TechCrunch]Epic Games, The Creators of Fortnite, Banked $3 Billion Profit in 2018. - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechCrunch]Epic Games, The Creators of Fortnite, Banked $3 Billion Profit in 2018.

post #121 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM
mfw

Rep: 393 (Unique: 205)
Quote: Originally Posted by ErOR View Post
Where did they even make this kind of money from, just sales or are there in game purchases?
Season passes and in-game items.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Z-80 > i9

Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvi View Post
LOL and what does it prove? Facts are Facts, pubg and fortnite are highly popular games that both broke world records in terms of players playing at the same time and profits. There is no need to be elitist about "Im NoT pLaYiNg PoPuLaR gAmEs LoOk HoW eLiTiSt I aM"
Because they aren't really that great as games. They're designed for profitability before all else and nearly always come at the expense of something that more serious gamers would enjoy just for the sake of profits. (Nearly always for a company that...wasn't having any problems staying in the black prior.)

I wouldn't care about Fortnite in the slightest if I knew we were still going to get a UT aimed at the market that likes more serious gamers (Especially as Epic absolutely has the cash to do both) but the second a trend takes off, everyone follows it and the rest of us suffer...and I'd say that gamers are getting sick of it given the increasing amount of resentment you see with AAA games these days. Take GTA V for example: We were meant to get two expansion sized DLC packs for it but Rockstar cancelled them and released the completed work as "free" DLC for Online. (Including the now famous $80 Delorean)

...That and these markets tend to be trend based, the gamers don't tend to complain about the stuff they dislike as much as people who are genuine fans of the series' (eg. I'm very hard on GTA Online because it's a pile of crap...and because I love GTA as a series and find it to be extremely disappointing) which leads to devs/publishers being out of touch with their customers...and what do you think caused the video game crash in the 80s? Devs were being forced to crap out games as fast as possible for publishers who wanted to capitalise on profitable names and the like (eg. ET) which lead to consumers just getting sick of being ripped off constantly...We've had the first two consistently get worse for the past two decades and the amount of people upset about the poor value of modern games increases every day.

It's not guaranteed to happen but if the publishers don't smarten up in the next few years, they're going to screw themselves over much like Activision has already managed with Guitar Hero the second they had a bit of pressure and competition from Rock Band. It's easy to give up some value during a tight time, it's much harder to get it back. (especially if times weren't ever actually tight despite the PR releases we get saying so. These are often public companies and you can see they're making a lot of money)
Heck, it might not even be gamers that do it...According to my friend who works at a retail game shop (Still very popular for console titles in Australia) nearly all Fortnite related sales are parents buying some vbucks while buying another game or something for their kid. There's a lot of adult gamers who play it for sure (I know of at least 6 myself) but I'd wager a lot of its profits aren't from that market given the fact that one of those six has actually purchased anything in it.

And sorry, but I don't consider "We're making more money!" to be that big of an achievement for a company. It's easy to make more money in the short term, it's another thing to do so without endangering your entire business model by constantly expecting more from the consumer. They can brag about it in PR statements and my reaction every time is "Uh...Cool, I guess? We're not really going to see benefits from it though, are we?"

Quote: Originally Posted by Seyumi View Post
It's OK I am too. I only 100% play single-player experiences on PC only. I guess I just don't like playing with other people. I play PC games to relax...not to work up a sweat, anxiety, adrenaline, and/or stress which is mostly what I experience when I used to play with other people (kids).
There's also the fact that MP games are easier to make "fun" than SP games simply because you're more likely to be playing with mates. I've played games that are unequivocally bad but still managed to have some fun because I was playing with my mates, or even just talking to them on chat while I play.

That's why I laugh whenever I hear someone say that GTA Online is a great game...It's not. I rarely hear of anyone who doesn't play exclusively with friends and says it's a boring grindfest without their mates there, meanwhile the fan made mods for GTA SA are still fun to this day to join a random server and just start playing usually.

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #123 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:00 AM
mfw

Rep: 393 (Unique: 205)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
I wouldn't care about Fortnite in the slightest if I knew we were still going to get a UT aimed at the market that likes more serious gamers
What defines a more serious gamer?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 88 (Unique: 76)
Epic found their WoW cash cow.

My thirst needs quenching.

post #125 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
What defines a more serious gamer?
For real... Games like Chess and Go are super duper serious games on the world tournament circuit. They come packaged with an OS for free. I think. I want Free Skii back dammit.

"wind tunnel cat is watching you reduce drag"

post #126 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 AM
News Fiend

I remember thinking the original non BR game mode looking interesting but looks like they gambled correctly.

Quote: Originally Posted by MasterBillyQuizBoy View Post
For real... Games like Chess and Go are super duper serious games on the world tournament circuit. They come packaged with an OS for free. I think. I want Free Skii back dammit.
Still free https://ski.ihoc.net/

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #127 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
I remember thinking the original non BR game mode looking interesting but looks like they gambled correctly.
People weren't buying it so they tried BR. Like you said, it paid off.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #128 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 84)
Ok i keep seeing this question about what makes fortnite not a gamer for serious gamers.

If you played fortnite for any period of time you know... Epic straight up hates its players. I mean they break the game before every tournament. And they arent hosted by esports or whatever because how bad they are with that. They constantly change ballistics and drop new items specifically to undermine their community. My friend who never stopped playing and is good has kept me in the loop even after i quit a year ago. Any competition organized without epic gets sabotaged.

Have you not seen the 200k tournament they busted with the sword release?

Its purely for these reasons... if you cant have consistent ballistics then how are you ever supposed to hit anything?

And theres a reason all the pros flip out when they do die. The game has alot of conflicts with its controlls and mechanics.

It comes back to what the one guy said about them taking every idiots advice and nerfing things.... they never stop messing with em...

And yeah the fact that its selling eclothes for 20$ an item just for profit. Doesnt help either

And yeah there really better be a reckoning with gaming in the next few years after all the companies crashed about 5 years ago. Nothing good has been made. And we are just getting graphic refreshes from AAA studios basically. I mean who buys CoD anymore? Its been the same game since mw2

I dunno fortnite is a cool game but once u start getting good its cracks become apparent. Definitely would not be as good a game without having ur buddies with you.

Problem is u grt emotionally invested and good n then u start losing more from glitches than other players skill.. theres just too much lottery

(If y'all) ain’t ready for the old murder, then what you gonna do with the new me?
post #129 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post

Still free https://ski.ihoc.net/
Oh my god my life is complete. Thank you!

"wind tunnel cat is watching you reduce drag"

post #130 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Laptop Gamer

Rep: 34 (Unique: 28)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Hopefully they take that money and hire more devs. So we can get an actual good game like Unreal Tournament.
This. Or, this....

Use all of your spare computing power for something worthwhile. Join the Overclock.net BOINC team!
If you have to ask, "Is it too hot?" Then, YES, it's too hot.
CPU
I7-7700k
Motherboard
Alienware/Dell
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960 M.2 pcie OEM
Optical Drive
DVD-RW
Power Supply
Aleinware/Dell
Cooling
Alienware
Case
Alienware Aurora R series
Monitor
AW 2518 G-Sync
CPU
Intel Core I7 6820HK
Motherboard
Alienware
GPU
GTX 1070
RAM
16GB DDR 4 @ 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960 NVMe PCIe 256GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin
Cooling
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
Other
AW 2518H
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Jayce1971; 01-10-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in