[TechCrunch]Epic Games, The Creators of Fortnite, Banked $3 Billion Profit in 2018. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechCrunch]Epic Games, The Creators of Fortnite, Banked $3 Billion Profit in 2018.

post #21 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:25 AM
Sunday League Jibber

Rep: 641 (Unique: 200)
I don't care for the game at all, but this is truly an impressive feat. I knew it would get some play on the back of Pubg's success, but it really took off.

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 1440p 144Hz DP-Adaptive Sync w/ LFC
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
40" Vizio HDTV
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 AM
Not new to overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 101)
I will never buy a skin or the battle pass. I will continue to just play a free game for free. I really hate it when some 13 year old kid,whos balls haven't dropped yet, calling me a no skin.

On the flip side. If you wanna support the game and buy 1 skin. Go ahead. But considering how popular this game is and the fact that the average person probably spends like $100 on skins. No wonder they are making so much $$$.
post #23 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 139)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
<$$$> / <$$$>
.........(
.......(----)

This is a bad omen and represents the worst of what's to come. These companies are seeing what kind of green they can make with little effort. Has the dumbing down of gaming plateaued? Not on your life!

Many have warned against the blatant dumbing down of gaming in order to reach the uncritical/superficial masses and hey I can't blame them if the gaming companies have sold out and have no more self respect in order to squeeze out the last lemming from his money.

Our favorite companies were bought and killed by big publishers when they failed to sell proven concepts based on the publishers new (dumbed down) visions. Now they are also taking what is left of our favorite games and turning them into mobile Chinese games. The only concepts these publishers have brought to the scene is how to butcher a complete game into itty bitty piece meals to squeeze out the most profit.

Oh well, will these publishers go down with the sinking ships? I hope so!
I don't know when this trend of calling newer games "dumbed down" started, but it is incredibly cringey.

I played Fortnite for about a season and a half. The biggest reason I stopped playing was because I sucked at building, and didn't want to take the time to set up a bunch of keybindings and grind practicing at it day in and day out. It's not simple. The skill gap is massive with the building alone. Then factor in all the items and guns you have to learn how to use...

It's a hard game. Kids have lots of time to play and practice. Just because they beat you at it doesn't mean it's dumbed down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 AM
mfw

Rep: 359 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultracarpet View Post
I don't know when this trend of calling newer games "dumbed down" started, but it is incredibly cringey.

I played Fortnite for about a season and a half. The biggest reason I stopped playing was because I sucked at building, and didn't want to take the time to set up a bunch of keybindings and grind practicing at it day in and day out. It's not simple. The skill gap is massive with the building alone. Then factor in all the items and guns you have to learn how to use...

It's a hard game. Kids have lots of time to play and practice. Just because they beat you at it doesn't mean it's dumbed down.
I mean, a single highlight video from Nick Eh 30, Ninja, Tfue, and even Aydan who plays with a controller, is enough for the unbiased, discerning viewer to assess that the skill ceiling is absolutely massive in Fortnite. At this point, anyone saying Fortnite is a casual, dumbed down game that only appeals to kids has an emotional stake in the conversation or simple intellectual dishonesty.

I dislike Fortnite and I will never play it because its mechanics and style simply don't appeal to me. However, it's almost dizzying to watch what some of the best players can do in that game. I find myself laughing sometimes.

Aside from the skill argument, it's great that a single game got so popular that it drove PC sales up by itself. You'd think people were happy about that on OCN, especially PC players, but I guess not. It's much easier to pretend you're cool for not having played popular BR games than it is to admit you suck at them or that you lack the time and/or patience to get better at them.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 12-29-2018 at 09:05 AM.
post #25 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 139)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I mean, a single highlight video from Nick Eh 30, Ninja, Tfue, and even Aydan who plays with a controller, is enough for the unbiased, discerning viewer to assess that the skill ceiling is absolutely massive in Fortnite. At this point, anyone saying Fortnite is a casual, dumbed down game that only appeals to kids has an emotional stake in the conversation or simple intellectual dishonesty.

I dislike Fortnite and I will never play it because its mechanics and style simply don't appeal to me. However, it's almost dizzying to watch what some of the best players can do in that game. I find myself laughing sometimes.

Aside from the skill argument, it's great that a single game got so popular that it drove PC sales up by itself. You'd think people were happy about that on OCN, especially PC players, but I guess not. It's much easier to pretend you're cool for not having played popular BR games than it is to admit you suck at them or that you lack the time and/or patience to get better at them.
Amen.

post #26 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
GPU Enthusiast

Rep: 185 (Unique: 140)
I'll never understand the appeal of the fortnite/battle royal genre. It's hard to believe so many people toss money out the window for cosmetic items and other stuff in these games.

Really sad state of gaming. The various game of the year and awards for games in 2018 made me chuckle. Here's to Cyberpunk and Exodus hopefully being actually good games.

post #27 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by kd5151 View Post
I will never buy a skin or the battle pass. I will continue to just play a free game for free. I really hate it when some 13 year old kid,whos balls haven't dropped yet, calling me a no skin.

On the flip side. If you wanna support the game and buy 1 skin. Go ahead. But considering how popular this game is and the fact that the average person probably spends like $100 on skins. No wonder they are making so much $$$.
"no skin" is an insult?
Don't know why but that is incredible funny in a way.

post #28 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1536 (Unique: 924)
what..what does people like about fortnite? is it because it is f2p? how the people moved from "e-sports"/fast paced shooters (cs go) to this?
post #29 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:09 AM
mfw

Rep: 359 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post
what..what does people like about fortnite? is it because it is f2p? how the people moved from "e-sports"/fast paced shooters (cs go) to this?
What do you like about the games you like?

Also, what is fast paced about CS:GO or any installment of the franchise? I could see the argument if you were talking about Quake or something. Counter-Strike has never been relatively fast paced.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:18 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1536 (Unique: 924)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
What do you like about the games you like?

Also, what is fast paced about CS:GO or any installment of the franchise? I could see the argument if you were talking about Quake or something. Counter-Strike has never been relatively fast paced.
I mean it is much faster than most shooters, in comparison R6S is slow, the point is the person moved from one genre to other, I dont see the appeal for this game, even the most played game in steam seems to be PUBG and not CS GO anymore, why people like battle royale ? this genre isnt nothing new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in