[DTOID] Star Control: Origins delisted from GOG and Steam - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[DTOID] Star Control: Origins delisted from GOG and Steam

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
in da freezing hell
termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about

[DTOID] Star Control: Origins delisted from GOG and Steam

https://www.destructoid.com/-update-...e-537555.phtml

"Just a few days ago before 2019 officially started, Star Control: Origins was delisted from both Steam and GOG.com. Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III, two of the designers behind the original Star Control series, had issued a DMCA takedown notice to Stardock about its "unofficial" game in the series. This is the latest development in a prolonged legal battle over who owns the rights to use the Star Control name or not."

Sorry, can't seem to be able to post something more fancy than simple links/quotes

On the topic, I find it appaling the plaintiffs have waited until the game shipped and had good success to axe it this way ...
By following the steam link, one can end up on the Stardock version of the story ...
Really fishy.

PS: game still works for those owning it already. It also is still purchaseable from stardock's site, which apparently provides ... steam keys ...

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core
Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about Mand12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by termathor View Post
https://www.destructoid.com/-update-...e-537555.phtml

"Just a few days ago before 2019 officially started, Star Control: Origins was delisted from both Steam and GOG.com. Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III, two of the designers behind the original Star Control series, had issued a DMCA takedown notice to Stardock about its "unofficial" game in the series. This is the latest development in a prolonged legal battle over who owns the rights to use the Star Control name or not."

Sorry, can't seem to be able to post something more fancy than simple links/quotes

On the topic, I find it appaling the plaintiffs have waited until the game shipped and had good success to axe it this way ...
By following the steam link, one can end up on the Stardock version of the story ...
Really fishy.
Sometimes you need to show damages in order to have standing. disclaimer: not a lawyer.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
in da freezing hell
termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about termathor has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Sometimes you need to show damages in order to have standing. disclaimer: not a lawyer.
Sure, I get that. I spent 8 years in full damage mode with my ex-wife before prevailling
However, not a lawyer myself either, and even less of a trademark lawyer, but having read all of Stardock's side of the story, it would seem to me they did nothing really wrong and this was an overkill blown.

Anyway, I'm sure some fine folks here may prove this wrong ...

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

They probably forgot to read the fine print of what they bought or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by termathor View Post
Sure, I get that. I spent 8 years in full damage mode with my ex-wife before prevailling
However, not a lawyer myself either, and even less of a trademark lawyer, but having read all of Stardock's side of the story, it would seem to me they did nothing really wrong and this was an overkill blown.

Anyway, I'm sure some fine folks here may prove this wrong ...
I've been following this story for year, ever since Fred emailed me awhile back when I begged him to make a new star control, but he emailed me back saying he wanted to do it too but their contract with Skylanders and Toys for Bob (Activision?) prevented them from doing that at the time.

Fred and Paul are not in the wrong here. If they did anything wrong, it was simply not being proactive enough to protect their IP which reverted back to them after they were not paid royalties by Accolade for 3 years.
you really need to read the text of the original license agreement. F&P posted it. Even the judge mentioned it.

Plus not only was the license (the universe and aliens and storyline and plot) supposed to COMPLETELY REVERT back to F&P when Accolade breached their end of the license agreement by not playing royalties, the bankruptcy of Atari, after Accolade was bought by atari, apparently invalidated the entire TRADEMARK being sold, because apparently, F&P were supposed to have been consulted before this happened, but that's for the judge to determine. But that's ONLY for the name "Star Control"--whether F&P can legally make Ghost of the Precursors "Star Control: Ghost of the Precursors."

Brad simply didn't understand what he was buying from the bankrupt Atari.

Brad ONLY bought the NAME trademark "Star Control" **AND** the ORIGINAL materials that were developed for STAR CONTROL III ONLY.
In fact, the original SALE of the IP actually said "Star Control III."

You again have to read the license agreement.
F&P allowed Accolade to make SC3 and to use the aliens from star control 2, AS LONG AND F&P WERE PAID FOR IT.
The original storyline and new aliens and hyperspace mode and other things that were NEW to star control 3 were purely Accolade's properly.
Any lore that was from SC2 or aliens or other devices required F&P to be paid for it.

Brad bought the ORIGINAL materials and the trademark for Star control 3 and the name "Star Control" -ONLY.
But then he started acting like F&P didn't have the legal rights nor did they actually develop Star Control 1 and 2.

And the judge when denying the injunction request from Stardock, said directly that it was YOUR fault you chose to market and release Origins while being involved in a court case. Meaning: Stardock shat the bed and now has to sleep in it.

Just look at this:

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/

And you can even find the full release of the injunction denial PDF over on the star control reddit. This situation is NOT looking good for Brad at all.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in