[GoL]The new System Shock is looking quite impressive with the latest artwork - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GoL]The new System Shock is looking quite impressive with the latest artwork

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
[GoL]The new System Shock is looking quite impressive with the latest artwork

The new System Shock is looking quite impressive with the latest artwork
Quote:
I'm very interested in seeing the final game, Nightdive Studios have done some pretty good work reviving older games and System Shock is clearly a labour of love for them. It's using Unreal Engine, so I do hope they're getting plenty of Linux testing done closer to release since many developers have had issue with it.

Nightdive has been releasing some overlooked gems from the golden age of PC gaming during the transition to 3D in the 90's. This looks interesting because the environment is as claustrophobic as the original with a very similar cold color pallet

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
System Shock was a great game back in the day. I played the enhanced graphics VESA(?) version. The user interface was kinda clunky, but the story and game design more than made up for that.

System Shock 2 was also good, but I never liked the endlessly re-spawning mutants. I dealt w/that by hacking security systems then spawning turrets at key points where mutants would annoyingly and regularly re-spawn.

Is Warren Spector involved in this project?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Long Time Lurker

Rep: 56 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Is Warren Spector involved in this project?
Not as far as I know. He is, however, working on SS3.

I initially thought this was a good thing, but Underworld Ascendant turned out so bad that I've lost a lot of faith in OtherSide.

Aspire 2.0
(11 items)
CPU
Core i5 7400
Motherboard
MSI B150M Pro-D
GPU
ASUS Turbo GTX 1070
RAM
16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
PNY CS1111 240GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair TX 850
Case
Acer Aspire TC-780
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Corsair Glaive
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
The 2 fingers over sledge looks plain weird, should have full glove on.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 588 (Unique: 329)
Quote: Originally Posted by x-apoc View Post
The 2 fingers over sledge looks plain weird, should have full glove on.
lol the other fingers are just sledge textured.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
This must be a nostalgia game. The textures might be higher quality, but I didn't see anything in that trailer that sets this game apart from Quake 2, half life, or other 3d shooters from the 90's. Without knowing it's a remake, I immediately compared it to other games made in the 90's.

I often praise older games for their focus on story telling and game mechanics. A lot of newer games use graphics as their crutch selling point, without actually making an enjoyable game. Sadly, that preview showcased only the updated graphics, which aren't that impressive by today's standards.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 1Kaz View Post
This must be a nostalgia game. The textures might be higher quality, but I didn't see anything in that trailer that sets this game apart from Quake 2, half life, or other 3d shooters from the 90's. Without knowing it's a remake, I immediately compared it to other games made in the 90's.

I often praise older games for their focus on story telling and game mechanics. A lot of newer games use graphics as their crutch selling point, without actually making an enjoyable game. Sadly, that preview showcased only the updated graphics, which aren't that impressive by today's standards.
The original System Shock had a much more developed back story than even Half Life. The Quake 2 story line isn't even comparable. The original System Shock even had a timed difficulty mode where you had to finish the entire game (i.e. defeat Shodan) within a certain amount of time or Shodan would wipe out most of earth's population. One of the harder difficulty modes removed the re-spawn chambers. I'm not sure if you could quick save in the original System Shock either. The user interface of the original game was klunky in the extreme. It was a revolutionary game for its time, but obviously not anymore.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Long Time Lurker

Rep: 56 (Unique: 44)
The user interface of the original game was klunky in the extreme. It was a revolutionary game for its time, but obviously not anymore.
This has been (more or less) fixed in more recent releases of the game that add proper mouselook.

Aspire 2.0
(11 items)
CPU
Core i5 7400
Motherboard
MSI B150M Pro-D
GPU
ASUS Turbo GTX 1070
RAM
16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
PNY CS1111 240GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair TX 850
Case
Acer Aspire TC-780
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Corsair Glaive
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 398 (Unique: 284)
The original System Shock had a much more developed back story than even Half Life. The Quake 2 story line isn't even comparable. The original System Shock even had a timed difficulty mode where you had to finish the entire game (i.e. defeat Shodan) within a certain amount of time or Shodan would wipe out most of earth's population. One of the harder difficulty modes removed the re-spawn chambers. I'm not sure if you could quick save in the original System Shock either. The user interface of the original game was klunky in the extreme. It was a revolutionary game for its time, but obviously not anymore.
System Shock 1 used a more advanced version of the Ultima Underworld 2 Engine, as far as I remember.
Yes you could save anywhere. Games back then had unlimited saves.

Also, you did NOT have a time limit on the easy and normal difficulty levels. ONLY on hard difficulty (and the one above hard) was there a time limit (7 hours).
Obviously, this wasn't intended for new players.
I also don't remember if this time limit could be extended by hacking.
Pretty sure the highest difficulty level removed respawning, so it was time limit and no chambers.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
System Shock 1 used a more advanced version of the Ultima Underworld 2 Engine, as far as I remember.
Yes you could save anywhere. Games back then had unlimited saves.

Also, you did NOT have a time limit on the easy and normal difficulty levels. ONLY on hard difficulty (and the one above hard) was there a time limit (7 hours).
Obviously, this wasn't intended for new players.
I also don't remember if this time limit could be extended by hacking.
Pretty sure the highest difficulty level removed respawning, so it was time limit and no chambers.
Did you ever play on that difficulty setting? I never did.

I seem to remember the original System Shock had a lot more voice acting than any FPS game to that point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in