[metrothegame] Metro: Exodus to be an Epic Store exclusive - Page 21 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[metrothegame] Metro: Exodus to be an Epic Store exclusive

post #201 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Valve is a crappy company. They do nothing and everyone kisses their.. feet. The amount of gamer loyalty they maintain is completely undeserved. I would jump over to Epic and buy all my games there from now on if the epic store works well and seems to be stable. 30% is too high, Valve doesn't do anything to justify that cost, they just haven't had any real competition yet but as soon as they do, it's going to be a rude awakening to Valve when suddenly no devs want to use their overpriced store anymore. If steam were as great as people think, EA and Ubisoft wouldnt have made their own platforms to avoid being price gouged by valve.

Valve is a digital store, meaning they have no rent to pay for shops, they dont have to pay retail employee or any of that yet they still charge about as much as a retail store would just to sell things. Ebay is also a digital store, and they only take 10%. Valve should be more like Ebay. 30% fees for a digital store are just greedy and unjustified.

To me this is nothing but good news, and I hope more devs ditch steam for something like the Epic store that has a much more fair pricing structure.
I don't even know where to begin with ripping this BS appart...
To me, valve's super hands-off approach is one of the biggest reasons I like them...
No matter how many people shout for curation or some form of gate keeping they've almost never removed games from their store.
Everyone knows where we end up once we start setting arbitrary standards for what is allowed and what isn't.

Secondly Valve adjusted their 30% cut to a sliding scale model, granted it's not applicable for anything other than AAA games probably but still.
And it's not like valve offers nothing in return for their cut...
Here's a bunch of features developers can use at their will: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features
And I find it hilarious how before epic hardly anyone ever complained about steam's pricing but now suddenly it's a big issue.

Steam used to be a complete pile of horse dung but over they years they have improved and EARNED their customers' loyalty by not being anti-consumer pricks first and foremost.
Epic can't just step in, throw some money around on exclusivity and expect people to just accept it.
I don't see why epic couldn't just compete with steam by offering the game cheaper because that's literally all they can do to compete at the moment.
They haven't done the time to earn anyone's respect let alone loyalty... they have done quite the opposite in fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by Streetdragon View Post
I preorderd the hard case version. So i can play it without a launcher or something like that or? I hope so. I wanna enjoy Metro and dont wanna fight on the 15.02 with launchers and all that stuff... just wanna play Metro...

Has any hard copy version of a game in the last couple years actually contained the game? I havent seen one. They all just have an installer and a keycode that activates it on one of the online platforms and you have to go through that launcher.
Once you get your game, please post back with an update if Metro actually included the game on disk, or if you are still forced to go through one of these platforms.

post #203 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Has any hard copy version of a game in the last couple years actually contained the game? I havent seen one. [...]
It seems Witcher 3 could be installed with the discs and played without going online in GOG's launcher, but I'm not totally sure about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 223 (Unique: 105)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Has any hard copy version of a game in the last couple years actually contained the game? I havent seen one. They all just have an installer and a keycode that activates it on one of the online platforms and you have to go through that launcher.
Once you get your game, please post back with an update if Metro actually included the game on disk, or if you are still forced to go through one of these platforms.
Either that or contained an early version that didn't even work at launch requiring a 50 GB patch.

Never installed a game from a BD but it must be so fun to install a 100 GB game.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #205 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Desktop builder & OC

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
That was confirmed and it was only the one developer who said that. I'm pretty sure he faced some sort of action internally, he brought a lot of bad publicity to this.

Oh, yeah it is available to buy (or was) on Steam in Japan, but it's not available at all on the Epic Store. At least when I made that post, I haven't looked if it's available since I made that post though so it might have changed.
Ahh, OK got ya. I was only thinking about Steam. A simple slight misunderstanding. I haven't checked out Epic, but I'm sure you are correct.

And secondly, as of now it's not available at all on Steam. As far as I know it's only on Epic now (although maybe not in Japan?)
I just can't bring myself to check out that site. Very annoyed about this whole Metro Exodus debacle, and Epic with deep silver and koch seem to me, clearly to be the ones who made this unethical decision. As for A4? I guess they had no choice in the matter?

But yes, you are right, the game hasn't been available for two weeks now (Steam) and I have no direct idea of Epic. But I think you are correct.

i7 8086k de-lidded @ 5.20GHz. GTX1080ti ftw 3. Taichi z370.
Trident z cl15 2 x 8GB sticks. Acer XB270HU 1440p 144Hz IPS 27 inch G-Sync
post #206 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 93 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
PC PS5 gamers in 2020:

Spoiler!
It'll all be done through the PSN. FTFY.

Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
Either that or contained an early version that didn't even work at launch requiring a 50 GB patch.

Never installed a game from a BD but it must be so fun to install a 100 GB game.
Back in the day...

Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by iamjanco; 02-08-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #207 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Z-80 > i9

Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by amputate View Post
And I find it hilarious how before epic hardly anyone ever complained about steam's pricing but now suddenly it's a big issue.
Especially because half of the reason Steam took off like it did was due to it being cheaper for both end-users and developers/publishers than the old mainstay: retail.
I see devs complaining about the 30% cut as falling into one of two categories: Larger devs or publishers that will always complain about development costs and the like regardless of how small it is simply because they want constant growth (Hence why over 7mill BF:V copies sold was "Disappointing" to EA) and very small devs that may have a product that simply wouldn't have been viable in the slightest if it wasn't for Steam changing the PC marketplace in the first place. I also doubt we'll ever see much of a benefit from these lower prices.

I'll say the same thing I was saying when Origin came out: Not all competition is good and this is not good competition. Honestly, it's sad to see Epic where they are these days when you consider their history...It's like EA all over again.

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #208 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 223 (Unique: 105)
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
In my MSX days a cassette game could take up to 30 mins to just launch.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #209 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 93 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
In my MSX days a cassette game could take up to 30 mins to just launch.
Yeah, know what you mean. Commodore 64 was my first, back around '81 or so.

Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

post #210 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Well I will wait a year to have it on steam. Anyway, I have plenty of other games to fill the year. In addition to the subway, it will have new patches. For now, goodbye.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
VPN Nox AnyDesk

Last edited by jessiah; 03-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in