[PCGN]PC is developers’ favorite platform, and its lead is growing - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCGN]PC is developers’ favorite platform, and its lead is growing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Clocknut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,471
Rep: 101 (Unique: 60)
yes.

Now we just need to bury Steam into ground, make sure Epic games failed. Only GOG survive. DRM Free game > all

Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work/Web Rig
(12 items)
CPU
i5-2500K @4.1GHz stock volt OC
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU
Zotac GTX 1660Ti AMP
RAM
Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4
Hard Drive
Kingston UV500 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm
Cooling
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Case
Silverstone Ps06
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz
CPU
Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
GPU
Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC
RAM
Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
FSP Hyper K 600w 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
LianLi PS05
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050
▲ hide details ▲
Clocknut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
m4fox90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 439
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
The only real reason I have a playstation any more is to play MLB The Show and watch Blu-rays. Wonder how The Show would do on PC, as I've never had great luck getting a Dualshock to work perfectly...

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition/Hydro Copper
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
EK PE360 + Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
m4fox90 is offline  
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,424
Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
The only real reason I have a playstation any more is to play MLB The Show and watch Blu-rays. Wonder how The Show would do on PC, as I've never had great luck getting a Dualshock to work perfectly...
http://ds4windows.com

If you haven't already, give this a try. Works as seamlessly for me on windows as an Xbox controller.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?


speed_demon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
prjindigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,707
Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
... consoles are PCs.

Mobile is fast becoming old pcs...
prjindigo is offline  
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Imouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,975
Rep: 223 (Unique: 105)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
http://ds4windows.com

If you haven't already, give this a try. Works as seamlessly for me on windows as an Xbox controller.
Running Steam in the background nets the same result and it also works with Linux.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
Imouto is offline  
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Old to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,060
Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
@PC Gaming is dead

Depends what you consider "PC Gaming"... When I think of PC gaming I think of the 2003-2008 golden era. Game comes in a cardboard box for $25 at Bestbuy or you go on the warez forums and get 65 rapidshare download links and put it together with a crack. Going on the forums spending more time talking about the game than playing it, downloading mods, remember those? Full conversion games for free made by the community, must have been on a dozen mod/gamer forums at it's height. Downloading the patches, then going on the forums when they didn't work and somebody told you to edit this .ini file and put X in your registry and then it worked. We had X-Fire friend lists, Teamspeak, mumble, clan forums, running servers out of my apartment for COD1:UO, games came with mod tools, games had more than 1yr life cycles. The internet was a nicer place back then too before the social media invasion of idiots and casuals, you needed a thick skin, every server was a bunch of angry dudes yelling profanity and all sorts of terrible slurs at each other for lulz and you just took it like a champ, not the new censored all inclusive gamersphere we have today. Before all the over marketed gamer crap too, a gaming PC would just look like a high end desktop, you would have a high end graphic artist optical mouse and a comfort curve keyboard if you were hardcore but not all this lame RGB crap, star trek enterprise chairs and all this crap marketed "GAMER" shoved in your face everywhere.


The games were cutting edge, the developers actually used the extra horsepower of desktop PC's to improve game play and do things that had not been done before. Consoles always had to employ many tricks to have nice visuals on limited hardware, e.g. limiting FOV, running lower frame rates, using "fog of war", making funnel style maps where the draw distance is relatively short, etc... PC games of that era the sky was the limit, even today with more powerful consoles things are severely limited.

If you compare it to that, PC gaming is still very much dead. Today you basically have casual noobified walled garden app store ecosystem style gaming where everything is overly monetized, micro transactions, pay to win, Madden NFL every year model gaming. Today's PC gaming is a console with a keyboard and mouse.

362436
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲



Last edited by xJumper; 02-03-2019 at 11:48 AM.
xJumper is offline  
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Computers <3
 
Rakanoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 134
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
@PC Gaming is dead

Depends what you consider "PC Gaming"... When I think of PC gaming I think of the 2003-2008 golden era. Game comes in a cardboard box for $25 at Bestbuy or you go on the warez forums and get 65 rapidshare download links and put it together with a crack. Going on the forums spending more time talking about the game than playing it, downloading mods, remember those? Full conversion games for free made by the community, must have been on a dozen mod/gamer forums at it's height. Downloading the patches, then going on the forums when they didn't work and somebody told you to edit this .ini file and put X in your registry and then it worked. We had X-Fire friend lists, Teamspeak, mumble, clan forums, running servers out of my apartment for COD1:UO, games came with mod tools, games had more than 1yr life cycles. The internet was a nicer place back then too before the social media invasion of idiots and casuals, you needed a thick skin, every server was a bunch of angry dudes yelling profanity and all sorts of terrible slurs at each other for lulz and you just took it like a champ, not the new censored all inclusive gamersphere we have today. Before all the over marketed gamer crap too, a gaming PC would just look like a high end desktop, you would have a high end graphic artist optical mouse and a comfort curve keyboard if you were hardcore but not all this lame RGB crap, star trek enterprise chairs and all this crap marketed "GAMER" shoved in your face everywhere.


The games were cutting edge, the developers actually used the extra horsepower of desktop PC's to improve game play and do things that had not been done before. Consoles always had to employ many tricks to have nice visuals on limited hardware, e.g. limiting FOV, running lower frame rates, using "fog of war", making funnel style maps where the draw distance is relatively short, etc... PC games of that era the sky was the limit, even today with more powerful consoles things are severely limited.

If you compare it to that, PC gaming is still very much dead. Today you basically have casual noobified walled garden app store ecosystem style gaming where everything is overly monetized, micro transactions, pay to win, Madden NFL every year model gaming. Today's PC gaming is a console with a keyboard and mouse.
ROFLMAO.

1.) Modding still exists.
2.) You can still pirate.
3.) No need to pirate nowadays because games get put on sale at 80% price reduction.
4.) Games still use a ton of extra horsepower the PC has. People play Fortnite or Rust because they can't afford a PC which run BF V.
5.) RGB is not a crap. It is a nice aesthetics.
6.) Gaming is a at some point marketing gimmick. Sometimes, it underlines important features of a product. You don't have to buy into it.
7.) Micro transactions are usually for cosmetics.

I can go on forever but your opinion doesn't matter much so why do I waste my time?


Last edited by Rakanoth; 02-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Rakanoth is offline  
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rakanoth View Post
ROFLMAO.

1.) Modding still exists.
2.) You can still pirate.
3.) No need to pirate nowadays because games get put on sale at 80% price reduction.
4.) Games still use a ton of extra horsepower the PC has. People play Fortnite or Rust because they can't afford a PC which run BF V.
5.) RGB is not a crap. It is a nice aesthetics.
6.) Gaming is a at some point marketing gimmick. Sometimes, it underlines important features of a product. You don't have to buy into it.
7.) Micro transactions are usually for cosmetics.

I can go on forever but your opinion doesn't matter much so why do I waste my time?
Modding does not exist at the same capacity it once did, not by a long shot.
You can always pirate games.
People play Fortnite or w/e becasue it's the game they want to play, same for any game. There are many games easier to run than Fortnite.
RGB reminds me of the people that like wide bodykits on stock FWD cars and it's very inconvenient to need to download some garbage software to turn off the RGB on your ram or mobo. Remember pointing and laughing at the guy with underglow? That's what people's PCs look like.

Gaming as a marketing tool is garbage, usually the better product for headphones and chairs has nothing to do with gaming.I also don't like having silly gamer lights and logos splattered all over keyboards and mice. Many of us prefer something that looks like it would fit into a nice home rather than something that screams "GAMING".

Microtransactions are often for cosmetics but there was a time when buying the game got you the entire game and all the content. Now people buy it which is fine as long as it doesn't detract from the actual game if you choose not to buy things. I have no issue with paid cosmetics but the rainbow people in FPS games as flipping stupid.


Your post seems to indicate that you have no idea what they were talking about on many levels.

Your opinion matters as little and as much as jumpers, the content is critical to having a forum and jumper usually has nuggets of gold in everything so I'd value their content over yours, especially since theirs was required for you to even make yours. That's how this works. Your failure to grasp that shows that you don't understand their post or how a forum works so why are you here?


Disagreeing with someone is critical to the forum but just insulting someone becasue you have a different opinion is pretty childish. I hope with time you'll mature and be able to have a normal conversation but the choice is totally yours. Have a fine day.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Computers <3
 
Rakanoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 134
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Modding does not exist at the same capacity it once did, not by a long shot.
You can always pirate games.
People play Fortnite or w/e becasue it's the game they want to play, same for any game. There are many games easier to run than Fortnite.
RGB reminds me of the people that like wide bodykits on stock FWD cars and it's very inconvenient to need to download some garbage software to turn off the RGB on your ram or mobo. Remember pointing and laughing at the guy with underglow? That's what people's PCs look like.

Gaming as a marketing tool is garbage, usually the better product for headphones and chairs has nothing to do with gaming.I also don't like having silly gamer lights and logos splattered all over keyboards and mice. Many of us prefer something that looks like it would fit into a nice home rather than something that screams "GAMING".

Microtransactions are often for cosmetics but there was a time when buying the game got you the entire game and all the content. Now people buy it which is fine as long as it doesn't detract from the actual game if you choose not to buy things. I have no issue with paid cosmetics but the rainbow people in FPS games as flipping stupid.


Your post seems to indicate that you have no idea what they were talking about on many levels.

Your opinion matters as little and as much as jumpers, the content is critical to having a forum and jumper usually has nuggets of gold in everything so I'd value their content over yours, especially since theirs was required for you to even make yours. That's how this works. Your failure to grasp that shows that you don't understand their post or how a forum works so why are you here?


Disagreeing with someone is critical to the forum but just insulting someone becasue you have a different opinion is pretty childish. I hope with time you'll mature and be able to have a normal conversation but the choice is totally yours. Have a fine day.
Yeah go play console. It's the best thing ever. /s

Rakanoth is offline  
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:49 PM
MegaTechPC
 
Majin SSJ Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA
Posts: 19,208
Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
The closer AMD manages to get the next gen consoles up to the performance levels of decently powerful PC's, the more the line between console gaming and PC gaming is going to blur. With the PS5's expected specs and performance levels we might finally be arriving at a point in time where there is functionally little to no difference between developing a game for a PC or a console (well, probably more so the next Xbox as its OS is already Win10 based). 2700X CPU performance and highly efficient 1070-1080-ish performance should be enough to play most any current game at high or even ultra settings on a console.


3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res


Majin SSJ Eric is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off