[PCGN]PC is developers’ favorite platform, and its lead is growing - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCGN]PC is developers’ favorite platform, and its lead is growing

post #51 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Sunday League Jibber

Rep: 642 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Nostalgia is one heck of a drug. As someone who lived through the "good old days that never existed", I remember that they were full of all kinds of issues and annoyances. It's too easy to remember the good times while taking everything we have for granted. PC gaming now is stronger and better than ever. We still have more backward compatibility than ever other video game platform in history. We still have the most mods, the highest visual fidelity, the best exclusives (IMO), the biggest selection of peripherals, and genres that just don't work anywhere else. We're not the elitist club that we used to be, but that's not the end of the world.

I'm inclined to agree, and there's certainly no replacement for things like EVE which means consoles are no threat to my custom any time soon.

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
3x Dell D2719HGF 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
@PC Gaming is dead

Depends what you consider "PC Gaming"... When I think of PC gaming I think of the 2003-2008 golden era. Game comes in a cardboard box for $25 at Bestbuy or you go on the warez forums and get 65 rapidshare download links and put it together with a crack. Going on the forums spending more time talking about the game than playing it, downloading mods, remember those? Full conversion games for free made by the community, must have been on a dozen mod/gamer forums at it's height. Downloading the patches, then going on the forums when they didn't work and somebody told you to edit this .ini file and put X in your registry and then it worked. We had X-Fire friend lists, Teamspeak, mumble, clan forums, running servers out of my apartment for COD1:UO, games came with mod tools, games had more than 1yr life cycles. The internet was a nicer place back then too before the social media invasion of idiots and casuals, you needed a thick skin, every server was a bunch of angry dudes yelling profanity and all sorts of terrible slurs at each other for lulz and you just took it like a champ, not the new censored all inclusive gamersphere we have today. Before all the over marketed gamer crap too, a gaming PC would just look like a high end desktop, you would have a high end graphic artist optical mouse and a comfort curve keyboard if you were hardcore but not all this lame RGB crap, star trek enterprise chairs and all this crap marketed "GAMER" shoved in your face everywhere.

The games were cutting edge, the developers actually used the extra horsepower of desktop PC's to improve game play and do things that had not been done before. Consoles always had to employ many tricks to have nice visuals on limited hardware, e.g. limiting FOV, running lower frame rates, using "fog of war", making funnel style maps where the draw distance is relatively short, etc... PC games of that era the sky was the limit, even today with more powerful consoles things are severely limited.

If you compare it to that, PC gaming is still very much dead. Today you basically have casual noobified walled garden app store ecosystem style gaming where everything is overly monetized, micro transactions, pay to win, Madden NFL every year model gaming. Today's PC gaming is a console with a keyboard and mouse.
****, MAN. PREACH IT.

Gaming nowadays isn't what it used to be, and you encapsulated all the reasons why it isn't as fun as before.

I remember downloading a bunch of mods and skins from GameBanana. Now with stuff like Denuvo, which is getting more and more common, we won't see so many mods as before, if any.
post #53 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by senileoldman View Post
****, MAN. PREACH IT.

Gaming nowadays isn't what it used to be, and you encapsulated all the reasons why it isn't as fun as before.

I remember downloading a bunch of mods and skins from GameBanana. Now with stuff like Denuvo, which is getting more and more common, we won't see so many mods as before, if any.
The only difference is now you download mods direct from the Steam Workshop and no longer loose your time to read where each file is supposed to go. NeverWinter Nights came as remastered on Steam and it is a lot better to play !

As for Denuvo, it always was useless, but it's less intrusive than others. They removed it from Hitman 2, days ago, and I didn't notice any difference.

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
... When I think of PC gaming I think of the 2003-2008 golden era. ...
Golden era? This begs the question, is the "Golden Era" relative to your age as you were experiencing it? I always thought the golden era was the mid to late 90's when you had a crazy number and variety of games, developers and publishers all pushing the envelope (at the time).
post #55 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 792 (Unique: 451)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aemonn View Post
Golden era? This begs the question, is the "Golden Era" relative to your age as you were experiencing it? I always thought the golden era was the mid to late 90's when you had a crazy number and variety of games, developers and publishers all pushing the envelope (at the time).
just from only reading your reply: it could very well be both; game devs were pushing the boundaries in 98 but it wasn't until 2003 that we had the hardware to run them all

didn't take about 7 years for both crysis and metro 2033 to be played at 60fps/1080p?

though TBH, i was drinking so much in those days . . 92-06 . . its all a blur.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #56 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Ya I wish they would do another for PC. I'm playing MLB 2K12 from 2K Sports still love the controls .... MVP Mods has helped in roster and graphics of game to keep updated but it is time for a new Baseball for PC. I know football is bigger fan base wise but come on its baseball. The sport games for PC all are out there & new ones too but no baseball.

AMD 2700X / Asus Crosshair VII Hero / Kingston 3K SSD / XSPC Liquid Cooling & EX240 Rad. / 16gig G. Skill Flare 3200 CL14 / CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case / EVGA Classified 980ti @ 1500 / CoolerMaster 1000 watt Silent PSU
post #57 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 PM
High Clocker

Rep: 188 (Unique: 162)
Too bad console and mobile are publishers favorite platform and they are the ones that pull the strings.

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

post #58 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM

RD

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Gives me new hope for Red Dead and Kingdom Hearts lol.
That is very interesting though, cool find.
Another vote for Red Dead on the PC.

Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #59 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 700 (Unique: 519)
@white _owl

You sir are the reason there is no longer a rating system embedded in OCN. Your first post in this thread would've received so many +1s' that the Admins would've had to scramble to keep this site up.

Sadly I have had to temper my RGB expectations... or rather lack thereof for my upcoming build. Don't get me wrong, as a modder I like lighting my case. But CCFL is thankfully dead. No more fugly blue boxes littering the inside of cases taking up case real estate that could be put to better use in my cases. No more CCFL requirements inside of reservoirs. No more!

I need light in my case but fans are where I would've drawn the line. I have 3 RGB Vardars in my PPCs order waiting on funds. Sadly since I want chipset cooling I am going with a monoblock that ties into the MB software of the MB I am picking up from the egg. What killed RGB for me was RAM. It's neat but doesn't do anything other than invte the rainbow unicorn in my home. I am a watercooling enthusiast. I don't need RGB on the MB. It doesn't require RGB to perform its function. And this RGB fad makes it hell getting a pair of performance oriented DDR4 RAM that I can skin and replace the heatsinks to tie my sticks into my full custom loop. I wish someone would slap Corsairs CEO for starting the whole RAM RGB craze. I have never liked where the Dominator line went past their DDR3 kit when they sent DDR4 Dominator to the lineup.

As far as keyboard goes? I am old and while I am an avid PC game player and started back when DOOM! first came around I still like playing in the dark. So when I cannot use my XBox controller I need a backlit keyboard. As a vet I became accustomed to Red lights that we used for sea operations at night. So laugh at me if you must, I have thick skin. But while I can touch type, on occasion I need to look at the board to re-center my fingers to avoid making mistakes. A backlit board gives me that ability in the dark. I am nearing the BIG NICKEL in life.

Chalk up another +1 for RDR2. iirc anyone can pick up RDR through Steam. Just not RDR2.

Edit... Oh an if anyone is within Arm's reach please slap Bill Gates for saying that Desktop is dead. Ever since then people have associated anything involving a desktop as dead. Sheep are easily influenced by things like that. PC gaming was never dead. And the developers were the biggest laziest sheep of the herd. Oddly they chose to do more work to port to consoles only to have to do more work to port back to PC. How mind numbingly obtuse can ya get?

~Ceadder

Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ceadderman; 02-16-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #60 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 PM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 30 (Unique: 30)
I like the new RGB craze for the most part for internals because it means that things are mostly black, white or silver and then you add your own colour... or just leave the leds off. No more piss yellow and black motherboards with red and black videocards and blue ram sticks.. And you can change the setup whenever you feel like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in