[Gadgets360] Civilization VI Steam EULA Changed to Allow for Data Collection - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Gadgets360] Civilization VI Steam EULA Changed to Allow for Data Collection

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
In other words some corporate paper pusher saw that they could sell data for a large sum and decided to add data collection to a product they are responsible for. If a program is connecting to the internet, such as a single player game... it's very safe to say that the online connection is used for data collection and tracking.

All that can be done at this point is the way of laws and regulation, requirements and forcing fines on companies who do not respect it.
Not everyone wants to be a free test subject, games nowadays often launch at high price only for an incomplete beta version that barely works and collects all data possible. Long gone are the days when a game launched and it was actually finished are fairly in working order because it was getting burned onto hard media which obviously are hard to "patch" next week with an update.

I have nothing against people giving negative reviews on products that in some way disappoint them, be it in gameplay, quality or changes to licenses and other things. Companies are too used to getting 5/5 stars for "trying and not delivering".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
Steam data collects for the express purpose of keeping track of your hardware.

How do you think they compile the usage chart that are user accessible? They didn't get that with a wild guess. They got it by tracking every aspect of their customers hardware usage.

It's nothing new. Shoot if you're using Windows 10 this shouldn't alarm you. Steam also tracks your OS to segment for the results as well. Linux, Apple iOS, Windows... whichever you use will be displayed as they are compiled. I wouldn't sweat this either.

~Ceadder
Except you can choose not to participate in the steam survey. I don't participate because the steam survey sends a list of every program installed. Want to know my hardware so you can suggest games that run on it? Sure. Want to know every thing I use my computer for? No thanks.

I also don't use windows 10....
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
This seems like something that should be a much bigger story. This is really the tip of the iceberg if it this means it's going to be, or already is the default for all of Take Two's games. This needs a larger lens focused on it. Gaming publishers should not be in the commercial data mining business. It's one thing if they collect some anonymous data for their own internal purposes to help support their games, but this is clearly just data mining and selling for a standard data mining profit.

Perhaps we need to call on the digital distrobutors to ban this kind of behavior on their platforms. If there were one store that needed to gain traction (like the epic store) and decided to ban data mining practices on their platform, that would definitely make me wan't to use it.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
I wonder if this is added to Red Dead Redemption 2 as well, if it's already added to GTA V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid go_quote.gif

Yeah, let me just go flood my walls with water and go find myself a microdolphin to pull my cables for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK go_quote.gif

Good news, 6950 is legacy so you wont get drivers anyway.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
its 2019, every company is collecting data.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
^ What gets measured gets managed.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
This seems like something that should be a much bigger story. This is really the tip of the iceberg if it this means it's going to be, or already is the default for all of Take Two's games. This needs a larger lens focused on it. Gaming publishers should not be in the commercial data mining business. It's one thing if they collect some anonymous data for their own internal purposes to help support their games, but this is clearly just data mining and selling for a standard data mining profit.

Perhaps we need to call on the digital distrobutors to ban this kind of behavior on their platforms. If there were one store that needed to gain traction (like the epic store) and decided to ban data mining practices on their platform, that would definitely make me wan't to use it.
Everyone wants to be in the information industry, because today, that is where the big money is right now.
The big developers for PC/consoles, have started to feel that the market revenue is starting to slow down for the last 5 years. So they need more sources of income in order to increase their own revenue outside of just creating games, which can take years to develop.

So moving into information, it adds another source of income, and another layer. One of the applications I see in those data mining, is inputing real ads into games. Think of a coca cola "old fashion" commercial in RDR2, or a virtual commercial in cyberpunk, targeting your favourite drink or energy drink, etc. And connecting personal data from a game with data gathered from facebook, google, etc, they can really target all sort of ads to you.
This also adds up with other options. Think about the option of the main character in his home, making coffee as the story progress, making its favourite brand of your country's local brand, talking how good it is, or drink tea if you personally prefer tea over coffee. It can be developed pretty easy but it can impact game story and your awareness very directly.

So while you don't like it (neither do I), they are in the business of making more money, and that is another layer of money, which can basically be more profitable with very little work to be had in terms of development.

Last edited by Defoler; 02-19-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 117)
Age, gender, location, and hardware configuration - Ok, I can see that. If they were just getting that so they can get a better idea on the demographics of their user base over multiple games that becomes handy information so they can better fine tune a game for whatever the target audience is.

Not saying I'm happy about it, but I can live with it.

The rest of that info has nothing to do with improving their products and is absolutely just to sell to the highest bidder and is completely crossing the line. Just because I bought your game doesn't mean you can browse through my personal pictures then call me to tell me which one is your favorite...

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM
mfw

Rep: 360 (Unique: 189)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Age, gender, location, and hardware configuration - Ok, I can see that.
Yeah, it's not really problematic. It's just one more layer than the old ASL chats on IRC.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Was on the verge of buying Civ VI soon, for I heard positive things about the new addon (gameplay wise). Now I won't. Take note, 2K/Take Two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in