[Ars] Richard Garfield leaves Valve, puts Artifact’s future in question - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ars] Richard Garfield leaves Valve, puts Artifact’s future in question

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
I hadn't been to the game's page in a while. Wow.

19% positive recent reviews; 49% positive overall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Artifact - Steam store page, 15 Mar 2019.png
Views:	6
Size:	728.1 KB
ID:	259340
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artifact - Steam store page, 15 Mar 2019 2.png
Views:	6
Size:	732.6 KB
ID:	259342

Ever since they released Dota 2 in July of 2013, something changed. The vetting of quality games on the store started to go away, they lost focus with the Steam machines initiative and the controller and VR, having released a collection of VR demos / experiments for free in 2016 ("The Lab"). And that's it for the recent years until the Artifact disaster. I hope that they realized by now that VR isn't going anywhere anytime soon, not until hardware is meaningfully more powerful so that you can render both photo-realistic graphics and in high fps and also not until VR goggles are the size and weight of a pair of sunglasses.

They need to go back to making games and telling good stories. They have to realize that making tech statements with games isn't all that they have achieved and that telling a good story with good gameplay is worth it on its own. Also, diversifying game genres is good, but they seem too fixated on it ever since 2007's Orange Box, and the two reasons above combined are most probably the reason why they never finished Half-Life 2's episodic content.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Hello.

So, they're just like every single company in every single industry that pioneered something because of their ingenuity and sense of opportunity? Cool. I guess you really do make your own luck.

And that's EXACTLY the problem, one that I described in my previous post. They've never been anyone's friend. You romanticized the whole thing and now you're frustrated.
They tied a digital store to their game before anyone else did, and made it mandatory for all their games. I would not call that "pioneering", but credit where it's due. Steam is a good program, not saying it's not, but it's only so widely used because it was first. You want to give Valve a ton of credit as if they cured cancer or something, thats your purgative. They made a good business more some 15 years or so ago and have not been able to do much with all their money and IPs since. It's sad to see a once well liked game dev turn into nothing more than the maintenance team for a digital store.

And too your weak counter about my metaphone "Valve is like a good friend that feel off the wagon and is looking for a fix", since the metaphore clearly went way over your heard, I'll restate it more literally.

Valve is (literally) a game former game developer that used to be highly acclaimed and beloved by fans. Valve build 2-3 very strong story based IP's that fan's were very happy about and eagerly awaited the next promised entried for. Once Valve got exuberently rich off steam, they were no longer able to produce any games despite seemingly having everything going well for them. This can mean only one thing, poor leadership.

Now back to metaphors; it's like hearing a female super model that's rich and famous complain that it's hard to find guys to date. It's not a valid complaint considering the context of reality, and thus we roll our eyes at Valve.

It's not a mystery what happened with Half Life 3, there is a lot of info about what happened now. It saw at least 3 highly ambitious revisions that all got canned because GabeN could not realisitically hone in the ambitions for the game, and he burned out his development team. Many of them left Valve after the third Half Life 3 revision got canned, and there was likely never a 4th because of that.

Oh but Valve made Steam and Steam is the only digital store (that stuck up PC gamer will ever accept) so praise be to Valve and glory unto GabeN!

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 03-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
They tied a digital store to their game before anyone else did, and made it mandatory for all their games. I would not call that "pioneering", but credit where it's due. Steam is a good program, not saying it's not, but it's only so widely used because it was first. You want to give Valve a ton of credit as if they cured cancer or something, thats your purgative. They made a good business more some 15 years or so ago and have not been able to do much with all their money and IPs since. It's sad to see a once well liked game dev turn into nothing more than the maintenance team for a digital store.

And too your weak counter about my metaphone "Valve is like a good friend that feel off the wagon and is looking for a fix", since the metaphore clearly went way over your heard, I'll restate it more literally.

Valve is (literally) a game former game developer that used to be highly acclaimed and beloved by fans. Valve build 2-3 very strong story based IP's that fan's were very happy about and eagerly awaited the next promised entried for. Once Valve got exuberently rich off steam, they were no longer able to produce any games despite seemingly having everything going well for them. This can mean only one thing, poor leadership.

Now back to metaphors; it's like hearing a female super model that's rich and famous complain that it's hard to find guys to date. It's not a valid complaint considering the context of reality, and thus we roll our eyes at Valve.

It's not a mystery what happened with Half Life 3, there is a lot of info about what happened now. It saw at least 3 highly ambitious revisions that all got canned because GabeN could not realisitically hone in the ambitions for the game, and he burned out his development team. Many of them left Valve after the third Half Life 3 revision got canned, and there was likely never a 4th because of that.

Oh but Valve made Steam and Steam is the only digital store (that stuck up PC gamer will ever accept) so praise be to Valve and glory unto GabeN!
Well, I still think your analogies are really bad, but, sure, fair point. I don't stop and think much of what HL3 could have been or how I used to love Valve so much, so I'm not sure I can relate very much. They're a company to me; if they don't want to bring closure to one of the most well reviewed franchises, so be it. I have other games to play.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Well, I still think your analogies are really bad, but, sure, fair point. I don't stop and think much of what HL3 could have been or how I used to love Valve so much, so I'm not sure I can relate very much. They're a company to me; if they don't want to bring closure to one of the most well reviewed franchises, so be it. I have other games to play.
I've never been a big fan of Valve, but I've certainly seen them in a much more positive light just thinking of them as a company. I don't get into the fan faire of it, and if you were actually hearing what I'm saying you might get that.

What I have said repeatedly, its that it's shameful for a company to abandon the popular projects that made them successful just to focus on easy money, despite their fans. yea Steam is more profitable than any one game would have been, but its not like they couldn't do both. Half Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3... any of the projects that mode them popular being continued would be a sign that they care about more than easy money. I see no such signs from them and therefore, to me, they are a lazy company that stopped doing anything hard as soon as they didn't have to, even though any games they did would have added to their profits.

If/when a digital store that competes with steam even starts to reach the same level of acceptance as Steam, Valve will have very little to fall back on. No business should put all their eggs in one basket.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 03-18-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
They need to go F2P now or die forever.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Oh it's you again.
Portal 2 was their last big game and it came out in 2011.

Valve is like a good friend that fell off the wagon and is just looking for the next fix in the form of hats and skins for gambling, while keeping people distracted from their addiction with random side projects.
I just dont get why you spin everything as that Valve is supposed to do x or y and that anything is a failure.
They were this dev. They made a game, it got popular. They followed up. Games got bigger in that time. They did Portal which was sorta kewl. And that is that. Meanwhile Steam had happened. To me it seems natural this is how it went.

If you look at Halflife and Valve it is a lot of happy accidents (CS and mods etc.). And to me Half-life has always been overhyped. It is like Quake 2 with some crappy voice lines from scientists and grunts with a really anticlimactic ending (I can also admit I did not finish the game and used cheat codes to experience parts of it that is how unhooked I was on HL but I have always been like that with games expecting what we are only starting to get now, back then as far this type of game is concerned).

It is not super easy to follow up on, for any dev. For all we know they have bided their time to do the hype justice as games grew past them. I am pretty sure they could have done something passable quickly on top of HL2 but for a lot of people it'd most likely been underwhelming. Same if they rushed it in the period after that, then they'd bomb for sure. I feel like you are jumping the gun a bit if you think about it a bit more. They need to do some kinda That-Lost-Guy-Whatever his name is Abrams ? treatment on Half-life and reinvent it. It is not easy and maybe they dont wanna piss on it in the first place, and would rather not do anything at all.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by WindInSummer View Post
I just dont get why you spin everything as that Valve is supposed to do x or y and that anything is a failure.
They were this dev. They made a game, it got popular. They followed up. Games got bigger in that time. They did Portal which was sorta kewl. And that is that. Meanwhile Steam had happened. To me it seems natural this is how it went.

If you look at Halflife and Valve it is a lot of happy accidents (CS and mods etc.). And to me Half-life has always been overhyped. It is like Quake 2 with some crappy voice lines from scientists and grunts with a really anticlimactic ending (I can also admit I did not finish the game and used cheat codes to experience parts of it that is how unhooked I was on HL but I have always been like that with games expecting what we are only starting to get now, back then as far this type of game is concerned).

It is not super easy to follow up on, for any dev. For all we know they have bided their time to do the hype justice as games grew past them. I am pretty sure they could have done something passable quickly on top of HL2 but for a lot of people it'd most likely been underwhelming. Same if they rushed it in the period after that, then they'd bomb for sure. I feel like you are jumping the gun a bit if you think about it a bit more. They need to do some kinda That-Lost-Guy-Whatever his name is Abrams ? treatment on Half-life and reinvent it. It is not easy and maybe they dont wanna piss on it in the first place, and would rather not do anything at all.
I have a really hard time understanding how a dev who had the actual halo killer in their pocket decided to just give up on their intellectual properties. It is, perhaps, the biggest missed opportunity in gaming history. I blame Valve for all the sales they missed out on for not producing a game that would have sold like hot cakes if only the plot had carried it forward. If you guys want to keep pretending HL3 was just a small miss on Valves part, fine. Yes it's never going to be the make or break point for them but it does signify their descension into microtransaction greed. They gave up on the best gaming IPs available to become the company that rests on their loreals.

Is it really such a big argument that I am disappointed in Valve for resting on their Steam money and ditching all of their gaming franchises? Like really? I dont feel like I'm coming out of left field here. Stop brown nosing Valve.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Has Valve ever made a 3rd anything? Portal, Half Life, Left4Dead,Team Fortress...probably missing some but they all stop at 2.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 AM
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Has Valve ever made a 3rd anything? Portal, Half Life, Left4Dead,Team Fortress...probably missing some but they all stop at 2.
Is this an argument?

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post

Ricochet, Day of Defeat and Alien Swarm stopped at 1.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in