[DSOG] PC gamers report that Epic launcher collects their Steam friends & play history, Epic Games responds - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[DSOG] PC gamers report that Epic launcher collects their Steam friends & play history, Epic Games responds

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 292 (Unique: 219)
[DSOG] PC gamers report that Epic launcher collects their Steam friends & play history, Epic Games responds

Quote:
A few hours ago, Resetera’s member ‘Madjoki’ discovered that Epic Launcher collecting players’ Steam friends and play history. Going into more details, Madjoki found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud. This also includes game saves for every user that has logged in on your PC.
Source: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-ga...epic-responds/

Thread on resetera: https://www.resetera.com/threads/dev...see-op.105385/

I don't reply to trolls.

RIP SyrillianWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

Woohoo!

Well done you zombie stompin', Best Buy dissin' Lion Man!

applaud.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
So Epic games does the things outlined in the policy to make syncing Steam friends possible. I'm sure people are outraged.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)
The birth of Facebook was the end of consent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
Things are certainly shifting away from privacy and towards large scale data collection. I recall seeing the local college advertising careers working with "big data" which tells me specializing in managing this information is fast becoming a viable career option.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:57 AM
Vandalay Industries

Rep: 73 (Unique: 54)
Should be an opt-in option. For that matter any system that has significant numbers of minors as customers should have more regulation. No minor is going to read the fine print before hitting accept and companies will exploit that.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
I don't get it. People are going ballistic over the EGS, yet most of the other applications they use on a daily basis collect data. Steam probably collects way more than this. Might as well rip out your internet connection.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 432 (Unique: 298)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
Should be an opt-in option. For that matter any system that has significant numbers of minors as customers should have more regulation. No minor is going to read the fine print before hitting accept and companies will exploit that.
Opt in/out will only mean "we give you an option but really, we are going to collect it anyway. Ok? Ok."

I want that transparency would be a thing from the get-go.
If you want to collect information, fine, I want that in bold huge letters on either the package if you buy physical product, or before you purchase it online, that it would be perfectly clear, if and what they collect, before you put a cent on it.

Knowing post purchase that your OS, game, launcher, whatever, are collecting data, and hiding it inside long and complicated EULA, should be one huge no-no.
I don't want to buy an OS upgrade only to find out after I purchased and upgraded, that it puts ads on my system, and install games I definitely do not want to be installed. Nor do I want to buy a game only after installing it, to get the EULA and tells me "we are going to spy on you".

That should be the standard.
A customer should be required to have a PhD in game research to find out what and if and how something is spying or collecting on them. 99.9% of customers are not lawyers or computer expects to know it, and most are not going around reading tech sites to try and figure it out.
I don't want a parent who is busy enough, to do complicated research to them, just to know if it is safe to buy a game to their kid.

Last edited by Defoler; 03-15-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I want that transparency would be a thing from the get-go.
If you want to collect information, fine, I want that in bold huge letters on either the package if you buy physical product, or before you purchase it online, that it would be perfectly clear, if and what they collect, before you put a cent on it.
This will work about as good as having warnings with pictures of lungs and mouths at various points of degradation on cigarette packages. Essentially, they get looked at and read initially, but eventually ignored because people want the product anyway.

My System
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC Black
RAM
GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200 CL14 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum
Case
Case Labs M10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VP2770-LED
Keyboard
Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
I don't get it. People are going ballistic over the EGS, yet most of the other applications they use on a daily basis collect data. Steam probably collects way more than this. Might as well rip out your internet connection.
People are stupid. They aren't using the term exclusive properly, they aren't realizing that this practice has been going on forever, they don't realize that it happens outside of gaming, and that everyone is cool with it because its not a big deal at all.

REEE i have to click another link. My privacy. People need to realize the only thing they can keep private are things they physically have in their possession.

I don't get it either man.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by votum View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
People are stupid. They aren't using the term exclusive properly, they aren't realizing that this practice has been going on forever, they don't realize that it happens outside of gaming, and that everyone is cool with it because its not a big deal at all.

REEE i have to click another link. My privacy. People need to realize the only thing they can keep private are things they physically have in their possession.

I don't get it either man.
Pretty much. It's not totally futile to keep important data private, but what's outlined in the article is exactly what you'd expect from something that syncs with your Steam friends list.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in