[[H]ard OCP] Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive" - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[[H]ard OCP] Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive"

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 293 (Unique: 214)
Exclusive... I don't see an issue with that, but what I don't like is the need to install Steam, Origin, Battle.net, don't know what the Epic store is called to even be able to play a game because games nowadays are not released as a standalone copy but as "service" that goes up and down to the whim of the online store application, one has to be online, can't play offline, can't simply download and install but has to install a store that then downloads and updates the game instead of the game doing it itself. All to promote their other products and show them to you in their store to buy. No one likes this sort of bloatware and forced advertising, being limited by the application to be always online and hope the service doesn't have too much downtime. Even Steam as large as it is often goes offline and many games that are tied to it become unplayable.

Compare this to pirated stuff... 1 download file, simple install with no crappy store to deal with, always playable as it doesn't depend on the whim of online services. There is a lot corporations can learn from how to do it right by looking at what pirated software offers and why it's still so attractive to people, it's not all about not paying, there is a lot of convenience, ease of use.

All these storefronts (Steam etc.) try be like a pirated software search site, offer you stuff to download but when this service goes down so do all your games LOL and it's not a web store it's a standalone application that loves to auto launch and bloat your system. This certainly isn't the case with website search that most use to find pirated software.

Sadly long gone are the days when developers would release a game themselves and not be tied to some kind of required standalone application store that handles distribution for them for close to no cost compared to the old making of DVD/BD.

Exclusives... do away with the stupid store apps and almost no one will care that the game is tied to some "publisher/store".
Even worse is that they change the store where people can buy a game last minute and make it exclusive to a store almost no one cares about. There literally are 2nd hand requests to buy a Steam Metro Exodus because of it, it wasn't removed and some people have a copy on Steam instead of Epic, what an epic mess.

The corporate online software store wars are affecting customers, so no wonder customers are pissed off.

Personally I don't care if it's on one store or another, at best it should be on none and be on developer's site as a 1 file download of the application and the application itself would handle it's updating as many applications do that aren't games tied to a store app.
Why do we need 100 online stores for games? We don't. The middleman that resell games do, be it Steam, Origin or some other corp.

Some people will argue oh no I need my friends list overlay in game, I need FPS counter overlay from Steam, Origin, ... yeah as if those overlays even worked right, it's hack and always will be, making applications unstable when other application is hooking, overwriting and injecting stuff into it. First thing when troubleshooting issues with games, always is: turn off all overlays from stores, 3rd party FPS counters, video recorders, anything that hooks, changes, injects stuff into the game in any way. Some games don't even work with their own stores overlay at all.

If they made Metro exclusive to Epic from the start or at least not change it last minute causing the game to be on 2 stores... yeah exclusive now has a new meaning? Customers wouldn't be flipping out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Well, there are other ways to compete.

Epic could try to differentiate it self from steam by offering new and or better services on the platform.
They could also take a cut similar or closer to Valve's 30% and pass the 'savings' onto the consumer by lowering prices.
They could try to offer better support/customer service - does Epic even have an answer to the refund system on Steam?
They could develop great games in house and make them exclusive to the platform.

I dont buy it.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 870 (Unique: 494)

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by appylol View Post
Well, there are other ways to compete.

Epic could try to differentiate it self from steam by offering new and or better services on the platform.
They could try to offer better support/customer service - does Epic even have an answer to the refund system on Steam?
They could develop great games in house and make them exclusive to the platform.
Even if they develop better features, no gamer would bother switching. After all, if I already have steam and my friends are on steam, what incentive would I have to bother with a new platform? It's more convenient to just stay on steam. Exclusive games are pretty much the only way to get a gamer to download a new launcher.

They could also take a cut similar or closer to Valve's 30% and pass the 'savings' onto the consumer by lowering prices.
Epic increasing their cut to 30% would result in games having higher prices not lower, because the game developer would have to increase prices in order to make equivalent revenue. You see the cut that the epic/steam take is largely arbitrary, it costs them pennies to host a game. Steam could charge a 2% cut and still turn a considerable profit. However for game developers that are struggling to make a living developing a game, the percentage cut is everything. This is why Epic's lower 12% cut is so appealing to developers.

They already have, it's called Fortnite. (and Paragon before that)
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 206 (Unique: 130)
Exclusives aren't great but they aren't that big of a deal. We seem to cope with these things just fine with a lot of the other products we buy, not sure why it's such a problem with games.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
Exclusives aren't great but they aren't that big of a deal. We seem to cope with these things just fine with a lot of the other products we buy, not sure why it's such a problem with games.
I don't see it as a problem. I'm just here for the debate.

The market will eventually decide if it's a good investment or not. And that will rest completely on how good the games are or how bad people want to play them.

I'll sit this one out, so count 1 for team "Epic can suck it".

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:27 PM
New to Posting

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I don't see it as a problem. I'm just here for the debate.

The market will eventually decide if it's a good investment or not. And that will rest completely on how good the games are or how bad people want to play them.

I'll sit this one out, so count 1 for team "Epic can suck it".
im with you on this, i have games on steam/origin/ubisuck but i havnt messed with origin in forever, havnt even done an install on this rig. they ruined BF for me, and anthem has be somewhat harshly received. but i do have them on my boycott list until i get UFC on PC. which may never happen.

everything i have on ubisuck launches from steam so it makes almost zero sense to me, and just agitates me that i dont get any steam achievments from some of their titles(AC1, who cares about the desmond's story, its an aspect that couldve never made it in the series and i doubt it wouldve made a difference. just let me climb and assassinate).

as per epic idk if they have anything im really missing out on(maybe unreal tournament)... but ill also cast a vote for "i hope epic store crashes and burns."

i do like steam, but get over the idea that its perfect. its not, simple as that. the video player for store pages is awful, and it always has been whether PC or Mobile, absolute garbage. and most of us already know about the loose leash they keep on developers with "early access" titles. or pages that get put up and end up in recommendations that have been abandoned(dead island 2, hellaid)

CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI AM4 B450I Gaming Plus AC
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
RAM
Patriot Viper 4 2x8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
500gb Mushkin Source M.2
Hard Drive
1tb Mushkin Source SSD
Power Supply
Corsair CX 650
Power Supply
2016 International Prostar 2200w Inverter
Cooling
Coolermaster LC120E AIO
Case
Silverstone Sugo13
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Insignia 43" 4K HDR
Monitor
Samsung Odyssey+
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
30% is too high and its not like Valve put their games on other platforms. Just more anti anything steam nonsense. Competition is good for consumers.
Valve is the only distribution platform actively trying to include Linux as an option.
Epic on the other hand is doing everything in their power to exclude Linux (this includes WINE)
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
Fortnight and its mass pleb/bubble head appeal allowed this anti-competitive/anti-consumer mess to happen.
yep, games like fortnite come once in a generation.

The last FortNite was WoW.

What do I mean?

PC games that pull the console scrubs into the realm of real gaming, then sully it with their stupidity, by the millions. This ends up affecting every game we play, whether folks realize it or not

See any slightly entertaining game during the original WoW fallout when their first wave of millions started going off to college, thus burning out, or not having enough time to play, thus move onto other games.

uhg, I remember the day they showed up in OG DayZ.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 AM
boof

Quote: Originally Posted by Paladin Goo View Post
Origin is pretty much only EA stuff that is exclusive. There's plenty of games that are not owned by Valve/Steam that are exclusive to it though (barring console versions, but those don't really count in this discussion since Epic store exclusives have console releases as well).

Ark
Conan Exiles
PUBG
Dead by Daylight
The Forest
Vermintide 2
Rust
Arma 3
Call of Duty games between Black ops 1 all the way to Black Ops 3
DOOM
F.E.A.R. 3
Friday the 13th

I could keep going too, cause it's actually a fairly long list.

And nothing is stopping those developers/publishers from releasing their games elsewhere, unlike with Epic Store where the exclusives are contractual.

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(15 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
1TB WD Blue
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Hard Drive
120GB Hitachi
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 960 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in