[[H]ard OCP] Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive" - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[[H]ard OCP] Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive"

post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:15 PM
boof

Quote: Originally Posted by delerious View Post
If it was about the dev saving 17% on fees, I have to wonder why they aren't selling the games themselves and saving all the fees.

Because it will cost more for them to make their own stores/launchers and it rarely works out. The only successful store/launchers I can think of for PC is Steam and maybe Origin.

Putting their games on a store that will guarantee good sales (at least for AAA titles) but they have to pay a 30% fee is a lot safer for them. Even if they will potentially make less money from it. A pretty good example of this would be GTA V as it's sold on Steam and Rockstars own store/launcher.

SteamSpy estimates there are up to 10,000,000 owners for GTA V on just Steam with a further 2,500,000 estimated sold through Rockstars own store/launcher. If we work on an average of $35/copy on Steam and $45/copy on Rockstars platform, that's $245,000,000 after fees from Steam and $112,500,000 from their own platform. Even after fees, it's far more profitable to just use Steam.

Epic Games is paying developers/publisher a lot of money to get the 1 year exclusive deal.

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(15 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
1TB WD Blue
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Hard Drive
120GB Hitachi
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 960 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
... that Ubisoft thing is ... a blight on humanity.
Couldn't agree more! If I have to use another client for your software, whatever, but don't make it laggy, broken, and generally non-functional! It shouldn't be hard to make a payment for a game, but it was for me with Ubisoft. An easy way to lose clients! Proper testing goes a long ways. I suspect they don't know it's a problem.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 874 (Unique: 496)
Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
I doubt they offered just a lower fee to get a 1 year exclusive deal on these large, much anticipated games. I'm guessing there's a few million dollars thrown in there as well to make sure they get those games. There's no way these publishers will drop a platform that has 90 million active users (log in at least once a month) for a platform that won't publish how many users they have on PC only for a 17% saving on fees.
Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
Epic Games is paying developers/publisher a lot of money to get the 1 year exclusive deal.

Your guess is correct. The Phoenix Point developers said, after the controversial move away from Steam and GOG for the first year, despite the crowdfunding having been advertised like that, that even if every backer requested a refund (which they are accepting), they would still be in the black after the Epic exclusivity deal (video below at 6:24). Apparently they made more than 2 million in crowdfunding (1:14 in the video), so now you can imagine the amount of funds that the triple-A publishers of games such as Metro Exodus and The Outer Worlds are getting from Epic for the 1 year exclusivity.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 03-24-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in