[Polygon] Epic locks down more store exclusives, including Obsidian’s The Outer Worlds, Remedy’s Control - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Polygon] Epic locks down more store exclusives, including Obsidian’s The Outer Worlds, Remedy’s Control

post #21 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
I don't think there's anything wrong with exclusives... personally, I prefer to have all my games in one platform -- and the majority of them are -- however, with that said, that's not really very realistic. I have Steam, Origin, Blizzard, and Epic on my PC, and I'm used to going to whichever one to play the games I want. As long the storefront isn't a buggy mess and a pain to use...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Or are customers just being unreasonable by expecting to only ever have to shop at one store?

As the guy who made a long argument about this said when I pointed out that there really isn't any precedent for anything like this in this market, he said there was no reason to think of this market any differently. Fine, lets go with that.
Do you think it would be unreasonable if you could only buy milk from one grocery store and no other stores would sell milk?
Well, no one's hobby is drinking milk. That's mostly why people take issue with this and not with what brand of foods you find at which store.

A more fitting analogy would have been Intel vs AMD, in which the former lost. If their behavior when they paid manufacturers to maintain exclusivity was deemed anti-consumer, Epic's can't, by the same token, be considered otherwise.

But these analogies constitute a sort of whataboutisms. They're not all that relevant, outside of discussions about legal precedence, to a debate about the health of the industry.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 AM
News Junkie

Rep: 297 (Unique: 232)
No games of interest for me

Main PC
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Formula
GPU
EKFC Sapphire RX VEGA 64
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2400mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD & Kingston 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 2TB 5400rpm
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Samsung 750GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860w Platinum
Cooling
XSPC RX360 & EK240
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
EK FCVEGA
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
2 x Dell 30" 1600p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 30)
This guy here arguing that this is great for PC gamers lmao **** here man.
Epic isn't creating "competition", they're straight up buying the market with unlimited fornite money...
There are many storefronts that compete with steam with varying degrees of success. Buying exclusivity is not competing. it's monopolizing.
And the nintendo comparison makes no sense because everyone knows what the deal is when you buy a console.

I shouldn't really expect more from someone who reads polygon but whatever...
I already stopped giving a hoot when people started actively defending Denuvo.
Store exclusivity is the least of my issues with PC gaming these days
post #25 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 AM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 42 (Unique: 30)
And let me just add that all Valve would have to do to combat this is lower their Steam fees. It's not like they wouldn't still be rolling in cash if they did.
Epic pays an upfront fee for exclusivity & also provides revenue guarantee. Steam lowering fees wouldn't change anything.

Isn't metro cheaper on the epic store? Only $50 instead of $60.

That said, in theory if the games are the same price either way, than getting a larger chunk of the profits would hopefully mean developers would have more money to budget their next games with, and we would get a better product in the end. It's like saying you get what you pay for except you pay the same, but the developer pays fewer fees to give you that product, so they can give you a better product.
I believe I'd be forgiven to be a bit skeptic of devs/publishers who swiftly chose their financial gains over consumer satisfaction & trust.

PolaRyz
(15 items)
Venomous FX
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Asus GTX 1060 6Gb
RAM
Hyper X Predator 3000Mhz 32gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256 GB
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000DM003
Hard Drive
Toshiba DC01ACA300
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold
Cooling
Phanteks TC14PE
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
LG 23MP68VQ
Monitor
LG 23MP68VQ
Mouse
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Mouse
Steelseries Qck Mass
CPU
AMD FX 8350
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA Gaming
GPU
XFX R9 290 DD
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB [4x4GB] 1600MHz CL9 @1.5v
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256 GB
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000DM003
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold
Cooling
Phanteks TC14PE
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell ST2420L
Monitor
AOC e2243Fwk 21.5"
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK Mass
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
It's going to be pretty funny in 3-5 years time when Epic closes it's store due to the fortnite money running out and their margins being way too low making the upkeep too expensive.

And there's always this little gem. https://news.softpedia.com/news/Tim-...es-80714.shtml
post #27 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 AM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 151 (Unique: 113)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
That's the whole crux of the matter. You can't go "this is the issue exactly, but I'd say the end justifies the means".

Luring people in with better prices instead of paying publishers to keep their games exclusive is one simple way whereby they could have avoided the criticism. In fact, they'd probably have gotten a lot of public goodwill, not just adhesion from publishers and developers.

It's not like they can't do it - they've obviously been left to their own devices so far. But it's everything BUT "pro competition".

A lot of pubs/devs don't want their software discounted as they feel it "devalues" their IP.

Honestly; what's the first thought in your mind when you see a title launch at 29.99 or 39.99? I would suggest that people expect less of the title at those prices. That is not necessarily a good thing and pub/devs know it.
post #28 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
A lot of pubs/devs don't want their software discounted as they feel it "devalues" their IP.

Honestly; what's the first thought in your mind when you see a title launch at 29.99 or 39.99? I would suggest that people expect less of the title at those prices. That is not necessarily a good thing and pub/devs know it.
Let's consider for a moment that that's exactly why publishers are signing the exclusivity deals with Epic.

How does that help the "competition" and "more value for consumers" argument?

Now, if I have to be frank, it seems pretty farfetched to assume that's why they're taking money for year-long exclusivity, and it still doesn't excuse Epic.

Discounts allow games to more fully saturate the market. You let the "whales" buy it at full price for a while, and you keep lowering it in order to maintain sales and capture the "$60 is too expensive" crowd.

In any case, is it procedure for Valve to discount games without consent from publishers? I honestly don't know, but I'd guess it's not that simple.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 151 (Unique: 113)
Let's consider for a moment that that's exactly why publishers are signing the exclusivity deals with Epic.

How does that help the "competition" and "more value for consumers" argument?

Now, if I have to be frank, it seems pretty farfetched to assume that's why they're taking money for year-long exclusivity, and it still doesn't excuse Epic.

Discounts allow games to more fully saturate the market. You let the "whales" buy it at full price for a while, and you keep lowering it in order to maintain sales and capture the "$60 is too expensive" crowd.

In any case, is it procedure for Valve to discount games without consent from publishers? I honestly don't know, but I'd guess it's not that simple.
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, but trying to see it from a point of view they may have. Not saying it's right, just saying it's a possibility.

Furthermore, I agree with you completely about trying to get volume and saturating the market. If I was in charge, I would try and undercut everyone as best I could, whilst still being able to operate and re-invest in my business. Quantity has a quality all its own!
post #30 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 208 (Unique: 96)
From an interview some developer said they were making most of their profits during the Steam sales. If your game is good and heavily discounted you make tons of sales because of the visibility.

If I had to guess, for example Tomb Raider made much, much more money at $10 with all DLCs than at $60 with none.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in