[nVidia] Quake II RTX: Re-Engineering a Classic with Ray Tracing Effects on Vulkan - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[nVidia] Quake II RTX: Re-Engineering a Classic with Ray Tracing Effects on Vulkan

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 18)
I feel bad that I'm not impressed. So much work and talent goes into RTX. I just don't see the "wow factor" yet. Credit to these dev teams for working hard and being proud, I'm rooting for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
You crack me up regarding your post on this thread. Q2RTX is fully path traced, it's based on Q2VKPT but with added features. The developer that created Q2VKPT is helping with Q2RTX.

First 15 seconds of the link you provided the developer of Q2VKPT Christoph Schied, says that nVidia placed extensions on top of Q2VKPT.
There are some parts that aren't path traced, the volumetric sun light or something.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It looks good for Quake 2, but nothing amazing. I suspect they could achieve basically the same thing with other more updates lighting techniques. Still cool though. I would be interested to see how this runs on GTX cards since if anything traced would run well on a GTX card, it would probably be this I guess.
Path tracing doesn't care much about the scene, be it a simple indoors Quake or something else, sure BVH cost will be higher with a more complex scene. Materials used however do have a large impact. It runs slow even on RTX so on GTX... good luck getting 1080p60 on 1080Ti.

In some ways I think the Q2VKPT was made to look closer to original, contrasty look, clipped blacks, not much light gets bounced, ... one would have to rewrite more to get it look what some may expect from path traced "movies".
Q2RTX seemed to look a lot different. I think it's a waste of time to mod the Q2VKPT since Q2RTX will be made public eventually.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
Another example from the voxel world this time with no hardware acceleration, there has been some from what I saw before but now it's even more:

Not a Minecraft person but there are some mods that add tracing to it and voxel approximated very nice renderings etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in