[YouTube] Rebirth: Introducing photorealism in UE4 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[YouTube] Rebirth: Introducing photorealism in UE4

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Have you seen my Baseball

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
The real question is when are we going to see games that look this good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
The real question is when are we going to see games that look this good?
That is the real question for sure. According to their website, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus already used megascans to some extent and it looks like Bungie and Dice are either using them for future releases of have already used them to some extent though I cannot find out for sure.

Given that the demo runs on a 1080Ti, and the megascans must be pretty heavy on Vram, I would guess we will start seeing things at this level when devs can design games with at least about as much Vram as a 1080Ti has in mind.

Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Good God!!! That has to be about the most impressive (albeit short) display of real-time graphics rendering I have ever seen! I had no idea UE4 was capable of such photorealism.
Just want to point out, its not just UE4, its pretty much any game engine that you can port texture data into and they all look really good when using megascans.

Unity:

CryEngine:

Seems to really drive the point that we need better assets more than we need better lighting at this point in graphics.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 04-01-2019 at 10:38 PM.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Boo Hiss metadtaclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)
Second video looked good until 0:50, that's not photorealistic. But we've certainly come a long way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)
HD Textures and better lighting is always welcomed. That fog and smoke though, it fades harshly like always.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
I was wondering when we'd move from randomly generated filler to actual scans of real environments...or at least use the textures from them to make something new.

To me it seems like that's pretty much what this is, we already had tessellation to a point where adding more doesn't make a meaningful difference so the logical next step is to shape that into real objects with the textures to match. I'd much rather have this than RTX.
If that's what is going on here there's no reason it should be harder to run than anything else, you'd just need the vram fast and large enough for the textures.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 65 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It's not hardware...

I would love to see a crysis game that used some megascans though.
It's a long, looong running joke to ask this question any time something noteworthy becomes news.

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
As some of the comments for the video noted there isn't even one blade of grass, no transparency effects and one light source.
Sounds like every other stupid youtube comment.
No there isn't a single blade of grass, there are three. Transparency? Should the stones be transparent? How many light sources do you typically have in a field?
Is it not good enough that they can make something look as great as it is?
What real time render do you think looks better than this?
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
It's a long, looong running joke to ask this question any time something noteworthy becomes news.
Obviously they couldn't run Crysis.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
HD Textures and better lighting is always welcomed. That fog and smoke though, it fades harshly like always.
I believe the fog is there because they didn't create a very big environment. It's probably hiding the edges. I'm sure they could have less fog if they had a taken the time to make a bigger level.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I was wondering when we'd move from randomly generated filler to actual scans of real environments...or at least use the textures from them to make something new.

To me it seems like that's pretty much what this is, we already had tessellation to a point where adding more doesn't make a meaningful difference so the logical next step is to shape that into real objects with the textures to match. I'd much rather have this than RTX.
If that's what is going on here there's no reason it should be harder to run than anything else, you'd just need the vram fast and large enough for the textures.
This process is known as Photogrammetry and it has been used in games before. The vanishing of Ethan Carter used it and some Frostbite games have used it as well but in more modest ways compared to megascans.

You can see here some photogrammetry from 3 years ago in UE4. Looks good but clearly not as good as what Quixel has.

It seems to me that what Quixel has done is really prefect the art of photogrammetry. What they need to get this right is a very good scanner or series of scanners that can get multiple angles very accurately, they need very even and even toned lighting on their sources, and they need to be able to capture large areas at once, and it seems that is what they have done. It's probably quite an impressive process to get some of the larger scans done.

I agree that these higher quality assets should make a bigger difference than RTX when enough Vram is available on the platforms devs are designing for.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Yes I am aware of this, I have not been living under a rock. The joke is about hardware though, not software, so its a bit out of place here.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 28)
When the guy shifts render to real time quality of the land looks plain average. Still nice.
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by Pro3ootector View Post
When the guy shifts render to real time quality of the land looks plain average. Still nice.
There is no shift in quality. It's all real time.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in