[G3D] American senator proposes bill against loot boxes in games - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] American senator proposes bill against loot boxes in games

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post
We don't need laws for games, we need better parents

When will a senator propose a bill for that?
We do when games start to be designed around lootboxes.
Look what a disaster BF2 and Shadows of War became when the lootboxes were ripped out, they had to be resigned completely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Instead of new legislation why not just try these companies under the existing regulations already in place for this sort of thing?
same reason why the constitution has amendments. i know its a large generalization but "all things internet" reminds me of the wild west during the gold rush and the lawlessness. before a regulatory agency can do anything, a law (legislation) much be passed to give them that specific authority in the language.

w/o that, the first thing to happen is the defendant(s) challenges the authority and that will take years to sort out.

but really i'm just some shmuck w/a keyboard.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 552 (Unique: 313)
Instead of new legislation why not just try these companies under the existing regulations already in place for this sort of thing?
I like that one even better. Most of us here aren't lawyers.

HOWEVER - once again - I want loot boxes gone entirely, not just virtually restricted to "those 18 years of age and older" YES, that includes Boarderlands style loot boxes too

depending on your age, you've been at least 18 on the internet for as long as that stupid "i'm 18" stuff has existed.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM
professional curmudgeon

well i'm a schmuck that googles:
GOP senator announces bill to ban 'manipulative' video game design
Quote:
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) on Wednesday announced that he will introduce legislation banning "manipulative" online game features he says can push children to become addicted to technology.

Hawley's Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act would prohibit games geared toward children from implementing features that prompt users to pay real-world money to advance in the game, called "pay-to-win," or receive rewards at random for a fee, called "loot boxes."

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would be tasked with enforcing the ban, and state attorneys general would also be empowered to file lawsuits against companies who violated the rules.

The bill would specifically target games geared towards children, as determined by their "subject matter, visual content, and other indicators."

The senator is expected to introduce the bill sometime in the next few days.

The Entertainment Software Association on Wednesday put out a statement rejecting Hawley's proposal. The acting president and CEO of the video game industry trade group, Stanley Pierre-Louis, pointed out that “numerous countries, including Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, determined that loot boxes do not constitute gambling."

As it stands, COPPA requires tech companies to obtain parental consent in order to collect data on children under 13. The bill introduced by Markey and Hawley would extend protections for those between 13 and 15.

Children's data privacy has offered some opportunities for bipartisan agreement as lawmakers in both chambers seek to hammer out the nation's first comprehensive privacy law.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
So, a design that is near universally despised by enthusiasts yet ridiculously exploitative of everyone else gets a ban proposal, and the enthusiasts respond by "WE DON'T NEED NO LAWS FOR IT!"

You sure about that?
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 PM
I dunno what I'm doing.

Rep: 63 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
So, a design that is near universally despised by enthusiasts yet ridiculously exploitative of everyone else gets a ban proposal, and the enthusiasts respond by "WE DON'T NEED NO LAWS FOR IT!"

You sure about that?
To be fair, I fully understand the argument that this opens the door for the government to meddle even further in games.

It is what it is.
Waterworld
(21 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
GPU
GTX-1080ti Founder's Edition
RAM
Kingston HyperX
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 950 PRO
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Power Supply
Corsair RM650x
Cooling
Optimus V1 LGA-1151 Waterblock
Cooling
Nemesis GTS240
Cooling
Nemesis 120GTS
Cooling
EK D5 Revo
Cooling
Singularity Protium Pump Top/Case
Cooling
EKWB 10x0 Waterblock
Cooling
SavantPCs 240mm Reservoir
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
GMMK TKL
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Creative X7
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blze001 View Post
To be fair, I fully understand the argument that this opens the door for the government to meddle even further in games.
Opens what door? The barn one, that's been open for decades? About not only games, but other popular entertainment?
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
same reason why the constitution has amendments. i know its a large generalization but "all things internet" reminds me of the wild west during the gold rush and the lawlessness. before a regulatory agency can do anything, a law (legislation) much be passed to give them that specific authority in the language.

w/o that, the first thing to happen is the defendant(s) challenges the authority and that will take years to sort out.

but really i'm just some shmuck w/a keyboard.

But there already is specifically worded legislation in place. Slot machines are every bit as much of a game as Battlefield is and they are governed by pre-existing legislation, so I don't see why more is needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

You sure about that?
Just because I despise something doesn't mean that I think the government needs to step in and outlaw it. Lots of people hate violence and nudity in games. If it's ok for lootboxes to be banned because I hate those, it's ok for violence and nudity to get banned because someone else hates that.

Whenever the govt gets involved, there is always a very real chance the baby gets thrown out with the bath water...

Last edited by DNMock; 05-14-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:52 PM
professional curmudgeon

But there already is specifically worded legislation in place. Slot machines are every bit as much of a game as Battlefield is and they are governed by pre-existing legislation, so I don't see why more is needed.

Spoiler!
well then please quote the law and emphasis the specific language to show this legislation is redundant. that would be great.

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
well then please quote the law and emphasis the specific language to show this legislation is redundant. that would be great.
Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement act of 2006:

"prohibits gambling businesses from knowingly accepting payments in connection with the participation of another person in a bet or wager that involves the use of the Internet and that is unlawful under any federal or state law."

Edit: Now, your first response is likely to be "But what about draftkings.com?" Well, it just so happens that fantasy sports betting is specifically mentioned as being omitted from this legislation. Which basically means that whoever started the fantasy sports betting trend was good buddies with a senator or payed a ton in bribes to get that stipulation added specifically.

Given how much bank EA has, you can bet your bottom dollar (such wit!) that any new regulations will have specific provisions added after a few greased palms, so not only would this legislation open the door to taking away things we don't want yanked, it would likely not even fix the loot box problem thanks to some re-election contributions.

Last edited by DNMock; 05-14-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in