[G3D] American senator proposes bill against loot boxes in games - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] American senator proposes bill against loot boxes in games

post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 880 (Unique: 498)
The problem goes way deeper. I suggest a simple rule - of course impossible to implement, but hey, this bill won't go anywhere anyway with all the lobbying: ban any game where it turns out that the actual player is the publisher/developer instead of the customer who bought the game. Any time the conclusion after playing a game is: "Hey, I'm not playing this game, I'm being played!", ban hammer.

And still with the fast food / production line approach that many studios have towards certain franchises, even those games without loot boxes per se are entrenched and designed in a repetitive way where you're encouraged/required to perform the premise that leads to a lot of this addictive behaviour: open boxes / containers to retrieve loot - Rage 2 is the latest example. Why is so much stuff in boxes? Rage 2 is basically a generic brand Mad Max, it's a post-apocalyptic world, the last thing on anyone's checklist is to have perfectly constructed and labelled boxes laying around the wasteland.

Let's start by getting rid of this deeply entrenched thing of opening boxes left and right. And then let's ask Valve to say "We were wrong on that thing about hats. Sorry. Here is Half-Life 3."

Never going to happen (the part about the hats).

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
The problem goes way deeper. I suggest a simple rule - of course impossible to implement, but hey, this bill won't go anywhere anyway with all the lobbying: ban any game where it turns out that the actual player is the publisher/developer instead of the customer who bought the game. Any time the conclusion after playing a game is: "Hey, I'm not playing this game, I'm being played!", ban hammer.

And still with the fast food / production line approach that many studios have towards certain franchises, even those games without loot boxes per se are entrenched and designed in a repetitive way where you're encouraged/required to perform the premise that leads to a lot of this addictive behaviour: open boxes / containers to retrieve loot - Rage 2 is the latest example. Why is so much stuff in boxes? Rage 2 is basically a generic brand Mad Max, it's a post-apocalyptic world, the last thing on anyone's checklist is to have perfectly constructed and labelled boxes laying around the wasteland.

Let's start by getting rid of this deeply entrenched thing of opening boxes left and right. And then let's ask Valve to say "We were wrong on that thing about hats. Sorry. Here is Half-Life 3."

Never going to happen (the part about the hats).
it can't be generic if its made by the folks that made mad max. also, Mad Max wishes it had the story production value, and combat systems of Rage 2. While RAGE 2 wishes it had the open world interaction that Mad Max has... The difference here is that Rage's open world nonsense will get fixed. Mad Max will just keep being Mad Max. Something most folks never came close to finishing. RAGE 2 is much more entertaining than Mad Max, just use the Icarus to avoid the empty open world until they fix it.

actually, I guess it can...

Why so many boxes?

It's easier to design 4 kinds of boxes than to create 50 different items & position them all over the place. Compare the boxes to FO/ES style loot. It's a lazy thing.

I've been in rage for about 15 hours now, and I really don't get where all the hate is coming from. I didn't even know there were "Rage coins" in a store until I read it online. They aren't shoved in your face in any way shape or form, unlike Ubisoft.

I hate microtransactions, but rage 2 isn't a good example to roast, even if its the newest. Specially if you haven't played it & are just parroting what you've heard.

The game is incredibly short, even if you wanna 100% the world, and in doing so you get more than enough currency to max everything out long before the end of the game. I'm pointing this out for those that keep stating otherwise. They clearly haven't spent a moment in the title if they think rage is programmed in a way to exploit you into buying currency FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME.

I hate micro transactions, but I have zero problem with the way Rage did it. putting a currency you can buy into a 100% single player game has no effect on anyone else playing it, specially when the game isn't even remotely "grindy" it took me 30 minutes at Mutant Bash to get all the tokens I needed to fully level all my guns. And just to re-state, they don't even tell you rage 2 coins exist, you gotta go look for them.

compare that to AssCreed - the BEST loot is via RMT, and they advertise that fact with in-menu advertisements constantly. so, even though it's a single player game, you are in fact affected by not giving them money as then you'll never have access to the BEST LOOT.

Rage only did this with the BFG, and its tied to the per-order, not the store.

I wonder if BL3 will make use of their classic Loot Crate RNG Slot machine system?

If so, I expect the same folks in here bashing on rage 2 to literally burn BL3 copies in the streets as the BL Loot Crate system is an abomination, specially since BL2 is a co-op title. You wouldn't even know RAGE has microtransactions if you just got the game & played it, instead of going off looking for negative press. n holy hell is the BL series 10x more grindy than anything Rage could ever come up with. so really, as offending goes, Rage 2 barely scratches the surface of Micro Transaction bullshart.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 05-17-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 880 (Unique: 498)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
Spoiler!

You read way more into what I said than what I actually said or meant, so I'll clarify my position: I wasn't comparing Rage 2 to Mad Max, the 2015 game, but the fact that Rage 2 (and the first one) is a generic brand Mad Max in a general sense of the Mad Max post apocalyptic franchise. Also, I didn't criticize Rage 2 for the specific microtransactions that are in place or will eventually be added, although I do think that they shouldn't be a thing in my opinion, period. I mentioned Rage 2 because of the basic premise of adding boxes to games that incentivizes this collective "unboxing therapy" behaviour, which then paves the way for the rest to come in a general sense. Yes, I would have preferred that games are a little more realistic in that sense too, you're in a wasteland, have the scraps/ loot / weapons laying around as they would, not in conveniently packaged and coloured boxes.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 AM
You broke it!

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 561)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
This would be enraging if it wasn't so incredibly ironic to see an American politician lashing out at a "pay-to-win" system. Makes it hard not to crack a smile when you're thinking about the situation. They never seem to run out of ways to waste tax dollars but trying to pass laws to protect people from their own stupidity is one of the more popular ways of doing it. If you need to sell a pile of poop to the american public, all you need to do is...

Gets them every time.

I'm curious as to what the rider is that they are trying to sneak through with this bill.
No one is lashing out at "pay-to-win", regulators are simply stepping in to regulate the illegal gambling that is taking place on a large skill under the guise of "Loot Boxes". These developers that are making Billions have hired the same people that design gambling games, to design these "Loot" systems. The same psychologists, mathematicians, systems engineers, etc, from the gambling industry in order to maximize the systems in their favors.

Loot boxes are, blatantly, gambling. It needs to be regulated as such.
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
I have a simple solution. If you don't like loot boxes, don't buy any, also don't give your kid your credit card. Problem solved.
Except that games are designed around lootboxes nowadays and NOT buying lootboxes either breaks the game or really hampers your enjoyment.
Just look at shadows of war or Battlefront 2 that required to redesign their whole system when they removed lootboxes.
if only it was as easy as "not buying lootboxes".

post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 AM
mfw

Rep: 367 (Unique: 193)
Quote: Originally Posted by Assirra View Post
Except that games are designed around lootboxes nowadays and NOT buying lootboxes either breaks the game or really hampers your enjoyment.
Just look at shadows of war or Battlefront 2 that required to redesign their whole system when they removed lootboxes.
To be fair, if the game "requires" the purchase of loot boxes, then don't buy the game altogether.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 433 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
To be fair, if the game "requires" the purchase of loot boxes, then don't buy the game altogether.
Easier said and done. Did you know BF2 would be such a loot box money grabbing game before buying it? Did the publisher said "you will need to buy boxes to enjoy the game" in their PR releases?

You only know how much the system is a money grab post buying the game.
And people rush to pre-order games before reviews are out, to grab that cool outfit or cool "exclusive" item.

In order to really fight it, you need people to 1. not pre-order anything, 2. wait for detailed not payed reviews, 3. act mature and really think things through.
Afraid so far, despite the "don't pre-order" movement, seems like it doesn't work, and the game studios know it, which is why people fall for it so much.

post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 AM
mfw

Rep: 367 (Unique: 193)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
In order to really fight it, you need people to 1. not pre-order anything, 2. wait for detailed not payed reviews, 3. act mature and really think things through.
So, you do understand the point.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 97 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

Sounds like excuses to me. I've never bought a lootbox, I have no plan of ever buying one.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
i don't agree what so ever with Shadow of War being severely hampered by loot boxes. I've completed it on all difficulties with only what the game provides. Interesting none the less. i completely missed all that from Shadow of War... even the redesign. Likely cuz I beat it every way till sunday way before that came into fruition.

still - loot boxes suck.

Loot boxes are generally an issue in titles with any form of MP. Co-op or PvP.

The biggest offender in the PVE realm is BL series. Single player / co-op, yet loaded down with stupid slot machine "here the first 10 keys are free!" nonsense.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in