[ENGADGET]Sony just laid out everything there is to know about the PS5 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ENGADGET]Sony just laid out everything there is to know about the PS5

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 400 (Unique: 206)
HOLY MOLY

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comment...s_a_real_game/

daaaaaaaaaaaamn

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 83)
I bought a literal dime piece CECHA01 last year and serviced it, less than 6 months of usage so its as mint as can be without being straight up NIB. I got one so i could have an AIO for PS3/PS2/PS1 games. I was really hoping the PS5 would introduce emulation to support at least ps1/ps2 games primarily ps2 as there are some titles i'd love to play on Sony hardware with a higher internal resolution. PS3 support on a PS5 would be welcome as well but i wouldn't hold my breath as the Cell in that system is a PITA to emulate. It was a given the PS5 would play PS4 games though, just wish they made the same effort as Microsoft is doing in making some popular 360 and OG Xbox titles playable on the Xbone.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
I know it might seem unrelated but this is one of the reasons I’m so deadset against the idea of game developers shifting focus to Ray Tracing right now.
PS5/Xbox Anaconda could be THE best console generation ever in terms of Quality of Life.
The end of loading screens? 60fps standard? These are things many have dreamed of for half a lifetime, but if people start pushing Ray Tracing as graphical features have been promoted in the past it could easily steal resources from quality of life features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Metokur Fan

Rep: 166 (Unique: 125)
I would just like some more mmorpgs to come to playstation i'd be very happy if they could make 120hz @ 1080 happen but 4k60 is also fine i guess.

R.I.P Terry Davis
Cold Start v1.7.3
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Confidential
Motherboard
ASrock Confidential
GPU
GTX 2080 ti
RAM
T-Group 2x8GB 3666mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PLAT 650w
Case
Fractal type C
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
I know it might seem unrelated but this is one of the reasons I’m so deadset against the idea of game developers shifting focus to Ray Tracing right now.
PS5/Xbox Anaconda could be THE best console generation ever in terms of Quality of Life.
The end of loading screens? 60fps standard? These are things many have dreamed of for half a lifetime, but if people start pushing Ray Tracing as graphical features have been promoted in the past it could easily steal resources from quality of life features.
Realistically speaking, those may be related but devs and console makers should open things up for more player options.

Players should be allowed to run high performance, low visual modes on next gen to increase perceived responsiveness. Think of the next gen xbox being allowed to play an optimized base Xbox One mode so that that it can push up to 120 fps for that mode regardless whether it needs a patch or not.

As far as loading screen goes, there might still be a good chance since the latest God of War has shown it can be done on weak hardware with good graphics. Next generation with SSDs and much faster CPUs.

Theoretically, cross generation games that may (or may not) hold back next gen consoles because there might still be plenty of customers without decent SSDs and CPUs, both on PC and consoles, that could still be a huge target for developers and publishers. Next gen consoles could eat those for breakfast.

Quote: Originally Posted by kylzer View Post
I would just like some more mmorpgs to come to playstation i'd be very happy if they could make 120hz @ 1080 happen but 4k60 is also fine i guess.
That'd be great since this gen was at least half baking it into kbm support. Sony and MS should improve it next gen.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 183 (Unique: 121)
Quote:
The GPU will support ray tracing, which is a rendering technique limited to high-end gaming PCs at the moment, and will provide the console with immersive 3D audio.
It seems like this ray tracing support will greatly help ray tracing support in future PC games. It is great to see ray tracing supported by next gen consoles too.

Now we just need a PC card with 10x the rays/sec and we are good.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It seems like this ray tracing support will greatly help ray tracing support in future PC games. It is great to see ray tracing supported by next gen consoles too.

Now we just need a PC card with 10x the rays/sec and we are good.
From what I currently know, it will be the biggest reason for RT adoption. Majority of AAA baseline development are probably determined by console limitations though I'm not sure if that matters so much since I feel gamplay types have mostly been explored so there's a feeling of diminishing returns.

Consoles having a more substantial form of ray tracing will hasten adoption of the technique for all of gaming.

I do wonder what kind of "RT" hardware we're getting with consoles though.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Celcius View Post
I'm hoping for at least 24GB unified memory. GDDR6 would be faster but GDDR5 or GDDR5X would be cheaper so they could probably stuff more in. I think there's no way they go with HBM or HBM2.
The xbox one x already has 12gb, plus I expect the PS5 OS to require more space reserved and for games to require more memory as well.
There's no way it will be 24GB... at that point the console would be too expensive and the whole point of a console is it's budget oriented. It will be 12GB min - 16GB max. Since GPU is based on a Navi architecture then it will probably be GDDR6. HBM2 would be too expensive.

Rad_Force
(19 items)
HTPC
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700X 4.0GHz
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
PNY XLR8 GTX 1070 OC Edition
RAM
16GB DDR4 3400mhz CL18
Hard Drive
480GB Corsair MP510 NVME
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue SSD
Hard Drive
X2 1TB WD & Seagate
Hard Drive
3TB Hitachi Ultrastar
Power Supply
750W Rosewill Hive (Modular)
Cooling
CM MasterAir MA410P
Case
Thermaltake S71 Full Tower
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
Monitor
Acer ET322QU IPS 75HZ 1440p
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
Razer Vespula
Audio
Eagle Arion ET-AR306-BK 2.1
Other
360 Wireless Controller
Other
EZDIY-FAB RGB RAM Heatsinks
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock AB350 Pro4
GPU
GT 210 (Temporary)
RAM
16GB DDR4 3000mhz CL15
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
ASUS DVD Burner 24X
Power Supply
EVGA 600B
Cooling
Wraith Spire
Case
Antec GX700 Military Green
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
Monitor
Samsung S22D300HY
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair Sabre RGB
Mousepad
SteelSeries 9HD
Audio
Creative Inspire T3300 2.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vici0us View Post
There's no way it will be 24GB... at that point the console would be too expensive and the whole point of a console is it's budget oriented. It will be 12GB min - 16GB max. Since GPU is based on a Navi architecture then it will probably be GDDR6. HBM2 would be too expensive.
8GB DDR5 in PS4 was unthinkable when it released and totally caught Microsoft off guard when their SRAM was barely any faster than PS4’s system memory.
Telling a memory manufacturer you’re going to move 100 million units over 8 years is one heck of a bargaining chip.

(EDIT: “PS4 System Memory”)

Last edited by ILoveHighDPI; 06-06-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Metokur Fan

Rep: 166 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
8GB DDR5 in PS4 was unthinkable when it released and totally caught Microsoft off guard when their SRAM was barely any faster than PS5’s system memory.
Telling a memory manufacturer you’re going to move 100 million units over 8 years is one heck of a bargaining chip.
Absolutely

I reckon 16GB is a given at this point with maybe 2GB reserved for system OS ect.

I would like if they could let me play a youtube video on top of a game im playing or something like multilayered support.

R.I.P Terry Davis
Cold Start v1.7.3
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Confidential
Motherboard
ASrock Confidential
GPU
GTX 2080 ti
RAM
T-Group 2x8GB 3666mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PLAT 650w
Case
Fractal type C
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in