[ENGADGET]Sony just laid out everything there is to know about the PS5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ENGADGET]Sony just laid out everything there is to know about the PS5

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
[ENGADGET]Sony just laid out everything there is to know about the PS5

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/21/...nsole-details/

"We will leverage backwards compatibility to transition our community to next-gen faster and more seamlessly than ever before," the company's presentation said at the event. Sony intends to use PS4 games to encourage early adopters, which it says are critical for the PS5's success. In fact, it promises more AAA games for the PlayStation 4, seeing as it will remain an "engine of engagement and profitability" over the next three years. This may hint at Sony pricing the PS5 at a loss, and relying on the PS4 to keep the gaming division in the black.

17 pages of Sony PDF

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/lib...2019/GNS_E.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 400 (Unique: 206)
Everything I have heard so far about the PS5 from Sony so far sounds good :

- Much faster loading times through an SSD
- Backwards Compatability with PS4 games

Also great to mention is that they confirmed the 3 big great games for PS4 :

- Death Stranding
- The Last of Us 2
- Ghosts of Tsushima

Really glad they are not moving those games to PS5.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
The backwards compatibility is a total win for me, since I was looking to get the pro for RDR2 and Spider-Man. The specs beat my own system too, and I’m starting to think that the console will be cheaper than equivalent pc hardware.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 284 (Unique: 123)
I guess the backwards compatibility success of the Xbox is rubbing off on Sony.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by funky882 View Post
The backwards compatibility is a total win for me, since I was looking to get the pro for RDR2 and Spider-Man. The specs beat my own system too, and I’m starting to think that the console will be cheaper than equivalent pc hardware.
Same !

It was actually my #1 wish for the PS5. Of course I would love if the PS5 had PS1,2,3 BC aswell, but that is not going to happen given how difficult it would be.
But PS4 BC for the PS5 was basically mandatory for me given how I want to play certain games again and I don't want to have my PS4 hooked to my TV with that squeaky old controller.

I hope that PS4 games benifit from the faster loading on the PS5 aswell to the same degree. It would be so awesome to play Bloodborne on the PS5 with fast loading !

Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
I guess the backwards compatibility success of the Xbox is rubbing off on Sony.
No it has to do with the architecture. Actually basically all PS console had some sort of BC. The PS2 could play PS1 games and the early PS3 could play PS2+1 games.
The PS4 was a move closer to PCs then a huge change and emulating PS3 (CELL) is super difficult.

And now we are in a very different situation. I am 100% certain that even if Microsoft didn't push BC at all Playstation would still go for BC on the PS5, because digital libraries are too big now and people would be upset if it meant upgrading to the PS5 means losing all your PS4 games.
Also it is much easier given how both the PS4 and PS5 are basically small PCs.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by zealord View Post
Same !

It was actually my #1 wish for the PS5. Of course I would love if the PS5 had PS1,2,3 BC aswell, but that is not going to happen given how difficult it would be.
But PS4 BC for the PS5 was basically mandatory for me given how I want to play certain games again and I don't want to have my PS4 hooked to my TV with that squeaky old controller.

I hope that PS4 games benifit from the faster loading on the PS5 aswell to the same degree. It would be so awesome to play Bloodborne on the PS5 with fast loading !

No it has to do with the architecture. Actually basically all PS console had some sort of BC. The PS2 could play PS1 games and the early PS3 could play PS2+1 games.
The PS4 was a move closer to PCs then a huge change and emulating PS3 (CELL) is super difficult.

And now we are in a very different situation. I am 100% certain that even if Microsoft didn't push BC at all Playstation would still go for BC on the PS5, because digital libraries are too big now and people would be upset if it meant upgrading to the PS5 means losing all your PS4 games.
Also it is much easier given how both the PS4 and PS5 are basically small PCs.

Have you seen RPCS3? This is a PS3 emulator for PC and it can already play a handful of games at full speed, some even have 60fps patches like persona 5. I think with a zen 2 chip they could emulate all of them, just might not be worth the R&D since they spent so much on PlayStation now for BC. Native enhanced support, like higher resolution with AA, would be amazing. Offer them digitally at a discounted price and my God you’ve just nintendo’d the market. Sony has a goldmine of titles..

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Portgas D. Ace

Rep: 311 (Unique: 238)
PS4 games @ PS5 performance would make me pre-order.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
ASROCK RX 570
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
If they can get PS4 games running 4K60 or CB8K30(Checkerboard) then I’ll start collecting PS4 classics, otherwise it would be more worthwhile to just build a PS5 exclusive library. PSVR 2.0 will probably be worth the price of admission anyway.

I’ll also have Xbox Anaconda to play my favorite franchises there, it’s not like I’m starving for new games to play.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
In an age where consoles are basically SFF HTPCs with budget, uncustomizable hardware, is there any reason backwards compatibility should ever be an issue?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by funky882 View Post
Have you seen RPCS3? This is a PS3 emulator for PC and it can already play a handful of games at full speed, some even have 60fps patches like persona 5. I think with a zen 2 chip they could emulate all of them, just might not be worth the R&D since they spent so much on PlayStation now for BC. Native enhanced support, like higher resolution with AA, would be amazing. Offer them digitally at a discounted price and my God you’ve just nintendo’d the market. Sony has a goldmine of titles..
I wish Sony would offer all those games digitally to download, but sadly the games I want the most are not on PS4.
Actually I mostly want couch/bed games instead of desk PC games and that is why I don't care that much about emulators

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in