[GOG] GOG GALAXY 2.0 All your games and friends in one place. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GOG] GOG GALAXY 2.0 All your games and friends in one place.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 60)
Much better to support this platform than that Epic garbage client.

Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work/Web Rig
(12 items)
CPU
i5-2500K @4.1GHz stock volt OC
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V LK
GPU
Zotac GTX 1660Ti AMP
RAM
Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4
Hard Drive
Kingston UV500 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm
Cooling
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Case
Silverstone Ps06
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz
CPU
Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
GPU
Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC
RAM
Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
FSP Hyper K 600w 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
LianLi PS05
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
It claims to group all games, friends and achievements from all platforms.
So, collect all your data.
Can you opt out of data mining or is it mandatory part of their platform?

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:36 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 357 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
So, collect all your data.
Can you opt out of data mining or is it mandatory part of their platform?
I mean, if they can't collect data about what games you own on which platform with what achievements, wouldn't this entire endeavor be pointless?

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
So this is basically the new "Trillian?"
Hah, now there is a program I haven't thought about in a while. Perfect analogy.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 AM
Performance is the bible

Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
I mean, if they can't collect data about what games you own on which platform with what achievements, wouldn't this entire endeavor be pointless?
No it won't be pointless.
If I installed 10 games from steam, 2 from battlenet, 2 from origin, 2 I got from GOG and 1 from epic, and this platform allows me to see them under a single platform, then that is fine.
I don't care about achievements, and I don't want it to list all the games I own or all my friends list. That is why I asked if there is an opt out option. Just see what is installed. Nothing else.

It would need all the games I own in different platforms in order to nag me about offers from their own site, and have my friends list in order to get ads to them. I don't that.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Hah, now there is a program I haven't thought about in a while. Perfect analogy.
I feel old
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 357 (Unique: 256)
If I installed 10 games from steam, 2 from battlenet, 2 from origin, 2 I got from GOG and 1 from epic, and this platform allows me to see them under a single platform, then that is fine.
That is what GoG appears to say it'll do.

Quote:
I don't care about achievements, and I don't want it to list all the games I own or all my friends list.That is why I asked if there is an opt out option. Just see what is installed. Nothing else.

It would need all the games I own in different platforms in order to nag me about offers from their own site, and have my friends list in order to get ads to them. I don't that
But that would just be you who doesn't want more than that. There could be overwhelming amount of people interested in having all their libraries, along with their friends, achievements under one client. Besides, adding ability to do from the get go seems more cost effective than doing so 2 months down the line when users find your client too.....simple.

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 153 (Unique: 114)
I don't care about achievements, and I don't want it to list all the games I own or all my friends list. That is why I asked if there is an opt out option. Just see what is installed. Nothing else.

It would need all the games I own in different platforms in order to nag me about offers from their own site, and have my friends list in order to get ads to them. I don't that.
I hear what you're saying. GoG does say they will never share your data with a 3rd party.

Data collection has never really bothered me. Take my grocery store for example. I actually love that they track what I buy. It makes shopping a cinch. I can go to their website and it shows me all the things I regularly buy and if they're on sale. I load up a virtual cart and pay for it. I then show up and they load it into my car for me. It's a huge time saver; one that wouldn't be as useful if they didn't collect this info. It's extremely handy and ultimately, it's only mundane information about me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoGData.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	883.5 KB
ID:	270982  

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Performance is the bible

Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
But that would just be you who doesn't want more than that. There could be overwhelming amount of people interested in having all their libraries, along with their friends, achievements under one client. Besides, adding ability to do from the get go seems more cost effective than doing so 2 months down the line when users find your client too.....simple.
That is why I asked if there would be an opt out for those who don't.
I understand you need to go 100km/h straight into a wall. Some would like to avoid it. So I would like an option that lets me to do so. I didn't ask it to be "simple". It can be as complicated as it wants. If 99% of the features are disabled, fine. I don't want them, even if they can run.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Performance is the bible

I hear what you're saying. GoG does say they will never share your data with a 3rd party.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Sorry, if you believe that....
Everyone say that, and 1 day later go 180.

Data collection has never really bothered me. Take my grocery store for example. I actually love that they track what I buy. It makes shopping a cinch. I can go to their website and it shows me all the things I regularly buy and if they're on sale. I load up a virtual cart and pay for it. I then show up and they load it into my car for me. It's a huge time saver; one that wouldn't be as useful if they didn't collect this info. It's extremely handy and ultimately, it's only mundane information about me.
But they also collect and use that information to sell you specific things. They don't tell you that something new came up, that is just as good and cheaper, if you constantly buy the same thing.
Or they know that you would still buy a pack of something even if the size is reduced by 10%, so they can use that to tell their suppliers "same price, smaller package, he will still buy it".
Or if they know that people in a certain area buy something constantly, they can share that with suppliers, and those can rise the price in the area by 20%, and people will still buy it.
Or you suddenly see google and facebook ads of certain brands of items on websites a day before you usually put your store order, which could influence you to buy those things.

There is good and bad with every data collection. Problem is that it is being abused for the worse.
And for what you describe, there is no real need for data collection to just save your preferred items.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in