[Everquest.com] 20 years and counting! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Everquest.com] 20 years and counting!

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
[Everquest.com] 20 years and counting!

Quote:
This year we celebrate 20 years of EverQuest. Unbelievable.

We are truly humbled that this incredible game – as much yours as ours – has achieved this rare and unprecedented milestone that began all the way back in March 1999.
https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-an...r-january-2019

First news post, did a search and didn't find. Not sure if this is a news thing but it's damned impressive. I had no idea it was still running. I'm debating loading up and seeing what's changed. I played back when it was released for 4 years or so. Ruined my first marriage.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Wish I never knew this game existed, wasted many years of my life. Should have done something more productive.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM
News Fiend

I played for about 4 years. I came back at some point just to check on my account and my character was stuck in a wall with all my plat missing. Pretty easy to never come back after that.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Tokyo the defiler

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by x-apoc View Post
Wish I never knew this game existed, wasted many years of my life. Should have done something more productive.
I feel the same way about Asherons call lol.

Babies are just something you have to not make die...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
A game that I enjoyed for 4 months. After we start to get tired quickly, I find the progress too slow and difficult.

Last edited by jessiah; 07-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Watercooler

Rep: 34 (Unique: 28)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post
https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-an...r-january-2019

First news post, did a search and didn't find. Not sure if this is a news thing but it's damned impressive. I had no idea it was still running. I'm debating loading up and seeing what's changed. I played back when it was released for 4 years or so. Ruined my first marriage.
No, you ruined your first marriage by not controlling the amount of time you played a game.
Yes, it is still going. Still fun and still more difficult that WoW or others. It has changed a lot of course and there is solo play with most classes.

Quote: Originally Posted by x-apoc View Post
I know you didn't blame "the game." I hear and read things like, "That game did to me....blah blah," often when we humans are the failure in the chain. The game is fun. I controlled play time then and still do now. I have been able to keep in touch with military buddies via these games when distance prevents otherwise. Moderation is the key.

Quote: Originally Posted by jessiah View Post
A game that I enjoyed for 4 months. After we start to get tired quickly, I find the progress too slow and difficult
A lot of people felt EQ was too hard. I enjoyed the difficulty as did tens of thousands of others. Some wanted to win the game before they started playing it. You don't win a persistent virtual world. You get with others and conquer the current content. No one game is for everyone though. WoW for instance was a fun game in vanilla, easier than EQ, but not stupid easy as it did become. All classes can do everything because everyone wants to win all the time. That is boring and silly. No one wins at everything all the time.

Expansionist
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard
EVGA X99 FTW K
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 K|NGP|N
GPU
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 4TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDXL Blu-Ray
Power Supply
Seasonic X1250W
Cooling
Custom Liquid Cooling System
Case
CaseLabs Merlin ST10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Azio - Armato
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mouse
EVGA
Audio
Creative Labs Blaster ZX
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 398 (Unique: 284)
Quote: Originally Posted by Questors View Post
No, you ruined your first marriage by not controlling the amount of time you played a game.
Yes, it is still going. Still fun and still more difficult that WoW or others. It has changed a lot of course and there is solo play with most classes.

I know you didn't blame "the game." I hear and read things like, "That game did to me....blah blah," often when we humans are the failure in the chain. The game is fun. I controlled play time then and still do now. I have been able to keep in touch with military buddies via these games when distance prevents otherwise. Moderation is the key.

A lot of people felt EQ was too hard. I enjoyed the difficulty as did tens of thousands of others. Some wanted to win the game before they started playing it. You don't win a persistent virtual world. You get with others and conquer the current content. No one game is for everyone though. WoW for instance was a fun game in vanilla, easier than EQ, but not stupid easy as it did become. All classes can do everything because everyone wants to win all the time. That is boring and silly. No one wins at everything all the time.
Very unpleasant, toxic comments here. Do you have a grudge against people posting their experiences or mistakes/satires? Why are you trying to act like God, Judge and Jury?

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Very unpleasant, toxic comments here. Do you have a grudge against people posting their experiences or mistakes/satires? Why are you trying to act like God, Judge and Jury?
That's what we call, a diehard fan!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:39 AM
Watercooler

Rep: 34 (Unique: 28)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
What I said was the truth. I didn't judge anyone. I think you need to look up each of these words and ponder on their real meanings. The first person blamed the game for ruining his/her marriage. The game is not a sentient responsible being. It is an activity. The person behind the activity controls the activity, not the other way around. The world is full of people who blame everything and everyone else but themselves. This is a lack of responsibility and accountability. Playing a game so much it causes a divorce is without question the fault of the person playing the game, not the game.

It's true that some people found the game too hard and they complained constantly in game and on the forums. The rest of us enjoyed playing and got sick of the whining. These people wanted to reach the pinnacle with little to no resistance. That is a fact. I did not say the person posting here was one of them. Nor did I insinuate it. I shared my experiences as they did. Immature people who wanted to play a god in game and win just because they logged in. It didn't work that way and they whined, a lot.

I posted my experiences. Are you intolerant of opposing experiences? I met my wife in EQ. The mother of our three children and a fantastic woman. I didn't get divorced "because of a/the game, I got married. Even though we both played, we still gardened, went fishing, cleaned the home, worked, washed the cars, made preserves and jams, pickles, played with our kids, went to church, enrolled kids in various activities and participated in them as well and a lot more because life is full of great things to do outside a game. Is my experience a problem to you?

You appear to be easily offended on behalf of others. Are you a bigot who believes others are incapable of taking care of themselves? You must be their savoir? Who is it with the God complex here?

Quote: Originally Posted by 1Kaz View Post
That's what we call, a diehard fan!
In a sense yes. I still play and it is my opinion it the best MMORPG of those I have played over the years. Asheron's Call came close and WoW was fun at first, when there was difference between the classes. In this, balance is impossible as each will have strengths against some and weaknesses against others. The whiners came in droves because they couldn't press a button and beat everyone else at will. Equality of outcome is impossible. Equality of opportunity is.

Mostly the game allows me to spend time with old friends. We play Warcraft II and Starcraft at times as well.

Expansionist
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard
EVGA X99 FTW K
GPU
GPU
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 4TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDXL Blu-Ray
Power Supply
Seasonic X1250W
Cooling
Custom Liquid Cooling System
Case
CaseLabs Merlin ST10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Azio - Armato
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mouse
EVGA
Audio
Creative Labs Blaster ZX
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Questors; 07-06-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
EQ is fantastic. I wish there was a legacy type deal where I could re-experience the game without the billion expansions. Or experience them as they rolled out. I started playing at The Shadows of Luclin and I was pretty young so I missed out on a lot. And then years later came WoW.

Author & Webmaster of http://www.GamerWord.Net - Alternative Viewpoint Articles & Reviews for Films & Games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in