[Guru3d] NVIDIA Announces Support for lots of RTX ON based games at Gamescom - Page 19 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Guru3d] NVIDIA Announces Support for lots of RTX ON based games at Gamescom

post #181 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:58 AM
mfw

Rep: 514 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
Right. And does it actually run?
One can only hope anything at all runs half as well as goal posts are moved in this forum.

Coreteks said it best... His analogy of RTX is on point. He says to imagine that a company comes out with a new car and puts wings on it. The car can't really fly, but if you drive off a cliff, you will be able to float for a short while. Even though the car will be smashed afterwards, everyone including reviewers are saying that since flying cars are the future, it's better to buy this car with wings. And another company that brings out a car without wings gets bad reviews, even though the 1st company doesn't actually really achieve flying.
I'm not familiar with Coreteks. Is that one of the many sub-100K "green man bad" journalists? In any case, I'm really happy for him that he produced such a cool quotable.

As a tech enthusiast, I can tell you this: I'm rooting every day for a better alternative to RTX. Till it's actually here, though, nVidia is where it's at.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 09-22-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 361 (Unique: 258)
TLDR:
Small % uses tracing of some sort, be it already via shaders or as users with hardware acceleration and more complex and visible approaches. Some understand how computationally difficult this is to do and why it runs with the performance it does, the rest doesn't and complains.
High % doesn't use tracing and doesn't own a hardware accelerator for it, complains to no end, such as: it's too expensive, it's too slow, I don't have it I don't want it because I can't afford it so neither should you.

It's early 2000s again, where some hardware and thus people have access to new features, shaders back then and others do not. This happens with each new hardware feature and is nothing new at all as to how people behave and react to new things, changes, ...

There are different ways to accelerate tracing, BVH, etc. and that's what we will see from the corporations.

Yes the performance is low on RTX Turing, but then would you play modern shader heavy games on a GeForce 3 fast? Nope. Still it's better to have that move forward than be stuck with same old obvious fake for another decade.
post #183 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 21)
RTX On is a total meme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 440 (Unique: 304)
Coreteks said it best... His analogy of RTX is on point. He says to imagine that a company comes out with a new car and puts wings on it. The car can't really fly, but if you drive off a cliff, you will be able to float for a short while. Even though the car will be smashed afterwards, everyone including reviewers are saying that since flying cars are the future, it's better to buy this car with wings. And another company that brings out a car without wings gets bad reviews, even though the 1st company doesn't actually really achieve flying.
That is one of the worst analogy possible, considering if that car "smash", you can still drive it like a regular car afterwards. So it makes zero sense in any way.
A better more making sense analogy is if the car could float 10cm for 30 seconds once a day. While it is nice to get past a few pot holes, it isn't a feature that will make or break a car, unless you have the money to spend on it.
But in the future you will have floating cars. Just better with cheaper technology. But that is the technology that forces others to go that way.

His analogy is basically, tell us where the leather jacket ceo touched you.

post #185 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
As a tech enthusiast, I can tell you this: I'm rooting every day for a better alternative to RTX. Till it's actually here, though, nVidia is where it's at.
Do me a favor... Do not confuse RTX with ray tracing... Let me quote Mr. Jensen here, on what RTX actually is;

"The Nvidia RTX is a PLATFORM, consisting of architecture, software, SDKs and libraries that allows us to COMBINE DIFFERENT types of rendering technologies into ONE unified and cohesive PLATFORM."

Just remember that RTX is the next GameWorks. Ray Tracing is the "excuse". That is all.
post #186 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:17 PM
mfw

Rep: 514 (Unique: 238)
Do me a favor... Do not confuse RTX with ray tracing...
Done.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #187 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 191 (Unique: 131)
Right. And does it actually run?

RTX will become obsolete if Intel manages to implement this. And even if they don't, if AMD's solution is viable, it might also be dropped. It's actually quite a similar situation right now compared to G-sync & FreeSync. Or if you want another example in a flipped scenario, tessellation. AMD had it first, but nVidia made it mainstream so to speak. I foresee this coming up with ray tracing this time, except the roles are reversed.

nVidia's RTX platform won't be going anywhere I think you meant RT cores. What do you want nVidia to do? Give up all their work and support AMD's AGS which wasn't designed for their hardware?

nVidia's RT cores won't go anyway also since DxR
acceleration is arranged as Bounding Volume Hierarchies (BVH) which they are fantastic at.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #188 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 18)
Do me a favor... Do not confuse RTX with ray tracing... Let me quote Mr. Jensen here, on what RTX actually is;

"The Nvidia RTX is a PLATFORM, consisting of architecture, software, SDKs and libraries that allows us to COMBINE DIFFERENT types of rendering technologies into ONE unified and cohesive PLATFORM."
Source

Just remember that RTX is the next GameWorks. Ray Tracing is the "excuse". That is all.
Where did all that gpu mining money go? 911! cough erm I mean Ray Tracing!

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2060 v1.25? Gaming Ram 950 with a 20$ Chinese water block on the, Ryzen 3700x 4.35 ghz gaming all core, 15$ Chinese waterblock, 3200 ddr4 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU. 6 gallon res passively cooled
post #189 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
A better more making sense analogy is if the car could float 10cm for 30 seconds once a day. While it is nice to get past a few pot holes, it isn't a feature that will make or break a car, unless you have the money to spend on it.
Actually in a particular use case, offroad 4WDs that need to use a winch regularly to get out of bog holes, that would be a game changer
post #190 of 193 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 191 (Unique: 131)
Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
Where did all that gpu mining money go? 911! cough erm I mean Ray Tracing!
That money went into buying Mellanox. Their ray tracing progress came from years of hard work hint OptiX.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in