[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity

post #11 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Steam is the worst, they are the sole reason we can no longer resell PC games. Blizzard and everyone else copied their terrible format. And people have the nerve to cry about epic but not battlenet... Steam fan boys are likely very young and have no memory of reselling pc games.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ chinese Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 2600 4.1 ghz, 15$ chinese waterblock, same tote 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 393 (Unique: 281)
Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
Steam is the worst, they are the sole reason we can no longer resell PC games. Blizzard and everyone else copied their terrible format. And people have the nerve to cry about epic but not battlenet... Steam fan boys are likely very young and have no memory of reselling pc games.

I'm 48, beefcake. Ever heard of shops like Egghead software? Were you even ALIVE back then?
Hell I still remember Shard of Spring (Demon's Winter?) for the Commodore 64 being sold in a video store! I think I bought my Sargon III chess program there...

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #13 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 70)

Err, there were plenty of PC games that you couldn't sell well before Steam came a long. I had countless pre-Steam games that phoned home when you typed in your CD-Key, or locked your CD-key to a specific account or PC install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 107)
What have the Romans ever done for us?

Just by developing Proton, and financing DXVK among other projects they got my money.

I particularly liked the move they made when the Steam Link was discontinued releasing its software for the Raspberry Pi.

You don't seem to remember the sad state of PC gaming back then when Steam launched. PS1, PS2 and consoles in general got all the love from developers and people could only dream of most franchises coming to PC.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #15 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)

Ah yea, it's not like there were games with limited cd keys or anything before steam.
Hey wait a second....

post #16 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 124)
The interesting bit from the Ars article:

"Back in July, Ooblets developer Glumberland revealed via blog post that the money it received up front from Epic represented "a minimum guarantee on sales that would match what we’d be wanting to earn if we were just selling Ooblets across all the stores." Epic's Sergei Galyonkin has also said that Epic's exclusivity deals tend to be structured as minimum guarantees against future sales.

Assuming Digital Bros. got a similar deal, that means the publisher won't make any additional money from Epic Games Store sales of Control until it earns back the €9.49 million upfront payment. For context, at $60 per sale and Epic's standard 88% revenue share, Control would have to sell roughly 200,000 PC copies for Digital Bros. to meet that minimum (or more if the average sales price comes down due to discounts). Guaranteeing that revenue up front, though, helps Digital Bros. avoid uncertainty in its balance sheet and, in turn, helps Epic bring in new customers to its growing storefront."

Been away a while and not familiar with the formatting now but that the interesting part for me.

I've been avoiding Epic for no other reason then I don't like them buying exclusivity in this way, and at this point I'm already hugely invested in Steam and inherently lazy.

Having said that, I dont really see any other way they could pull market share away from Steam, and you definitely cannot blame developers who are essentially getting paid insurance into the deal as well as a bigger piece of the pie if things do go really well.

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.

post #17 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
You guys should be happy that developers are finally getting PAID. Making games is expensive without a blockbuster production team supporting you, and with Steam taking a massive 30% cut and advertising prices high as well, getting a huge upfront payment for your game is a big safety net for a developer with bills to pay in case the game doesn't sell as expected.

I can tell the younger generation just by the comments on this post. EGL is still very new, less than one year all, and all those features will come in time - Steam was in the same boat years ago and everyone HATED it. Steam was REQUIRED for Halflife and it was terrible - many people just ended up downloading pirated copies to allow non-steam play even if they had already purchased the game legally. I didn't download steam for like 5 years after release since it was so bad, and even then it was reluctantly.

Epic has basically a money printing program with Fortnite which will allow them to grow and add features like crazy. The launcher is already much better than it was a year ago when it was basically just a simple portal to download Unreal Engine tools and Fortnite Betas.

Quote: Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post
The interesting bit from the Ars article:

"Back in July, Ooblets developer Glumberland revealed via blog post that the money it received up front from Epic represented "a minimum guarantee on sales that would match what we’d be wanting to earn if we were just selling Ooblets across all the stores." Epic's Sergei Galyonkin has also said that Epic's exclusivity deals tend to be structured as minimum guarantees against future sales.

Assuming Digital Bros. got a similar deal, that means the publisher won't make any additional money from Epic Games Store sales of Control until it earns back the €9.49 million upfront payment. For context, at $60 per sale and Epic's standard 88% revenue share, Control would have to sell roughly 200,000 PC copies for Digital Bros. to meet that minimum (or more if the average sales price comes down due to discounts). Guaranteeing that revenue up front, though, helps Digital Bros. avoid uncertainty in its balance sheet and, in turn, helps Epic bring in new customers to its growing storefront."

Been away a while and not familiar with the formatting now but that the interesting part for me.

I've been avoiding Epic for no other reason then I don't like them buying exclusivity in this way, and at this point I'm already hugely invested in Steam and inherently lazy.

Having said that, I dont really see any other way they could pull market share away from Steam, and you definitely cannot blame developers who are essentially getting paid insurance into the deal as well as a bigger piece of the pie if things do go really well.
Exactly. I too am heavily vested in Steam with over 10 years active, but as a business owner I understand balancing a budget and uncertainty of sales so can see the allure of partnering with someone who offers high up front revenue plus a larger cut of sales profits. If anything, gamers and enthusiast should love Epic since they are helping developers grow - especially the smaller studios who need help the most.

(edited for excessive usage of "huge" )

Last edited by Puck; 09-21-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #18 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)

Nice try bad troll.
post #19 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 124)
Quote: Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Steam was in the same boat years ago and everyone HATED it. Steam was REQUIRED for Halflife and it was terrible - many people just ended up downloading pirated copies to allow non-steam play even if they had already purchased the game legally. I didn't download steam for like 5 years after release since it was so bad, and even then it was reluctantly.

Exactly. I too am heavily vested in Steam with over 10 years active, but as a business owner I understand balancing a budget and uncertainty of sales so can see the allure of partnering with someone who offers high up front revenue plus a larger cut of sales profits. If anything, gamers and enthusiast should love Epic since they are helping developers grow - especially the smaller studios who need help the most.
Confirmed, I hated Steam as a DRM.

I am pretty interested in Control tbh. But waiting a year for it to come to Steam really isn't an issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steams.png
Views:	33
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	297300  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steam.png
Views:	41
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	297302  

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.

post #20 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:31 PM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Puck View Post
If anything, gamers and enthusiast should love Epic since they are helping developers grow - especially the smaller studios who need help the most.
I see this sentence parroted everywhere and it's mainly from clueless and careless consumers. Years ago, quality helped smaller studios grow, and that was only on them, today videogames quality level is so low they can't hope for anyone's support, instead they count on Epic's bribes to keep their studio up so that all those superficial designers and programmers can keep having their revenue despite their work being acceptable at best, and this is for most of them, and i still haven't seen a very good videogame released on EGS, till now most of them are piles of garbage or very close to it, included the game in topic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in