[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity

post #21 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Control was a fun game, takes a little to give you everything to play with but once you have it combat is interesting and it feels good.

Everyone hating on exclusivity but someone was going to have to really challenge Valve eventually. Epic has the user base and the money to do it and they already had a store in place for their engine so why not, I guess.

Certainly doesnt look like theyve suffered from it yet and the games are still getting sales because there's a massive audience of young players there, get them hooked on your platform now and you have one in the future, valve managed it back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 107)
Quote: Originally Posted by oxidized View Post
I see this sentence parroted everywhere and it's mainly from clueless and careless consumers. Years ago, quality helped smaller studios grow, and that was only on them, today videogames quality level is so low they can't hope for anyone's support, instead they count on Epic's bribes to keep their studio up so that all those superficial designers and programmers can keep having their revenue despite their work being acceptable at best, and this is for most of them, and i still haven't seen a very good videogame released on EGS, till now most of them are piles of garbage or very close to it, included the game in topic.
What they don't realize too is that if Valve wasn't the Juggernaut that it is now Epic would have run into the ground any other competition they'd have with these questionable practices.

If overpowering your competition with your money alone is frowned upon when the smaller player can't do anything against it then it should be the same when the number one is playing fair and square.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #23 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Optics Fiend

Rep: 81 (Unique: 66)
I'm simply sick of having to have x number of programs to open said games. So much so that i just wont buy BL3 or control till they come to steam. We have UPlay, Origin, Galaxy, Steam, EGS, Battlenet, microsoft, etc. holy christ when will it stop? Why the F do i have to have 20 game launchers tied to prospective stores for that publisher because they're greedy beyond all get out when i just want them on steam or no program at all. This is a non issue on consoles of course but yeah i'm sick of it.

Green Envy
(12 items)
Purple Haze
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
RAM
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w M12II
Cooling
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
Case
Phantek Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Logitech G15
CPU
Ryzen R5 1600x
Motherboard
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
GPU
Diamond 7970
RAM
G Skill DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth
Cooling
EK-FC7970 CSQ
Cooling
Mayhems X1 UV Purple
Case
Fractal Design Define S Nano
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
I'm simply sick of having to have x number of programs to open said games. So much so that i just wont buy BL3 or control till they come to steam. We have UPlay, Origin, Galaxy, Steam, EGS, Battlenet, microsoft, etc. holy christ when will it stop? Why the F do i have to have 20 game launchers tied to prospective stores for that publisher because they're greedy beyond all get out when i just want them on steam or no program at all. This is a non issue on consoles of course but yeah i'm sick of it.
Rockstar also released their own launcher. So that's another one lol. Oh and Bethesda as well.
post #25 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Optics Fiend

Rep: 81 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBDK View Post
Rockstar also released their own launcher. So that's another one lol. Oh and Bethesda as well.
I figured i was missing some. It's getting absurd though. Granted the alternative is to not launch them or have them launch when windows starts. If BL3 ran right and was cross plat i might be swayed but since EGS keeps sweeping up publishers i just get more and more angry about it. I had intentions of getting metro exodus and am glad Microsoft got it with the game pass.

Green Envy
(12 items)
Purple Haze
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
RAM
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w M12II
Cooling
Case
Phantek Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Logitech G15
CPU
Ryzen R5 1600x
Motherboard
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
GPU
Diamond 7970
RAM
G Skill DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth
Cooling
EK-FC7970 CSQ
Cooling
Mayhems X1 UV Purple
Case
Fractal Design Define S Nano
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 70)
Quote: Originally Posted by Puck View Post
You guys should be happy that developers are finally getting PAID. Making games is expensive without a blockbuster production team supporting you, and with Steam taking a massive 30% cut and advertising prices high as well, getting a huge upfront payment for your game is a big safety net for a developer with bills to pay in case the game doesn't sell as expected.
Oh give me a break. The 30% cut that Valve took was TINY compared to what traditional disc-based publishers took. If you wanted to publish a game the traditional way, the publisher would typically take a 70-80% cut. Valve's 30% cut for digital distribution was industry changing. The developer gets to keep 70% of the money, while Valve handles all of the distribution, cloud storage for saves and mods, matchmaking, server browsing, multiplayer, etc... Valve is doing a huge chunk of the work.

Quote:
EGL is still very new, less than one year all, and all those features will come in time - Steam was in the same boat years ago and everyone HATED it. Steam was REQUIRED for Halflife and it was terrible - many people just ended up downloading pirated copies to allow non-steam play even if they had already purchased the game legally. I didn't download steam for like 5 years after release since it was so bad, and even then it was reluctantly.
The difference is Valve pioneered the game launcher. They had to figure out what features it needed and how to implement them. Steam was a bit iffy in 2003, but by 2005 it was a very functional product. Epic has no excuse for the launcher not having many of the basic features Steam has. As far as HalfLife-2 requiring steam - that's completely fine. That's Valve game, and they can require whatever they want to play it. The problem is Epic is bribing other companies to be exclusive to the Epic Games Launcher. It's anti-consumer.
Quote:
Exactly. I too am heavily vested in Steam with over 10 years active, but as a business owner I understand balancing a budget and uncertainty of sales so can see the allure of partnering with someone who offers high up front revenue plus a larger cut of sales profits. If anything, gamers and enthusiast should love Epic since they are helping developers grow - especially the smaller studios who need help the most.
Valve has done more for indie and small studios than Epic ever will.
post #27 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
It's acceptable to rant against nitpicking things as "my game i love to play" wants to fill my pc with their advertised tiny launcher full of advertisement

But - only little do remember CD days, and only a tiny chunk does remember the days where every game you buy , you'd have to follow the developers decision with that XYZ branded andpartnered launcher, their game should come to your pc

Simply as you allowed to help the Developers by cutting away the CD Press , giving them more and more mone
~ while they only have to partner with XYZ company and put their advertisements in a tiny non malware program, which only launches the game and keeps the download active (even when it would interrupt) & does nothing more

Is someone of the majority of gamers remembering at all, that you had early on 40+ launchers ?
Can they imagine why you "would need" a launcher at all ?
But finding time to rant, that today it's made soo easy where devs even get upfront instant payment, instead of having to pre-pay CD Pressing industries, and the whole remain chain of marketing companies, just to release your tiny "game"

Who really should care on which store what game is. The devs who made the game or the consumers who want it ?
As long as their download is fast, it won't interrupt and is continuable ~ not a shareware tool, downloading it the p2p torrenting way ~ like early on
It's just nitpicking ~ but because stuff is digital, and people get the chance to have some control and influence
~ we can't stop ranting which virtual library should the monopoly / p*ssing and confusing devs by social media pressure which store they pick

Personal Records
SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen #2 Lost by a 101Mhz FSB OC #1 :>
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo

Last edited by Veii; 09-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #28 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
What they don't realize too is that if Valve wasn't the Juggernaut that it is now Epic would have run into the ground any other competition they'd have with these questionable practices.

If overpowering your competition with your money alone is frowned upon when the smaller player can't do anything against it then it should be the same when the number one is playing fair and square.
This

Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post
Oh give me a break. The 30% cut that Valve took was TINY compared to what traditional disc-based publishers took. If you wanted to publish a game the traditional way, the publisher would typically take a 70-80% cut. Valve's 30% cut for digital distribution was industry changing. The developer gets to keep 70% of the money, while Valve handles all of the distribution, cloud storage for saves and mods, matchmaking, server browsing, multiplayer, etc... Valve is doing a huge chunk of the work.

The difference is Valve pioneered the game launcher. They had to figure out what features it needed and how to implement them. Steam was a bit iffy in 2003, but by 2005 it was a very functional product. Epic has no excuse for the launcher not having many of the basic features Steam has. As far as HalfLife-2 requiring steam - that's completely fine. That's Valve game, and they can require whatever they want to play it. The problem is Epic is bribing other companies to be exclusive to the Epic Games Launcher. It's anti-consumer.

Valve has done more for indie and small studios than Epic ever will.
And this.
post #29 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post
Everything you have listed is virtually no work from an infrastructure standpoint and if it is then Valve is very far behind the times. I would imagine they are running scripts for everything and I seriously doubt its costing them much at all to host titles on an individual level. Literally everything should be pre-scripted and spinning up the infrastructure to host new titles shouldnt be difficult, particularly given how long Steam has been available. Everything from the sales interface, the forum, the advertising, the store site, etc should be scripted. Its also important to note that Valve may provide dev tools (steamworks) for things like mutiplayer, but its up to the developers to implement them (I would also imagine Valve charges for support/troubleshooting on this as well). If Valve is providing dedicated servers for multiplayer to publishers I can guarantee there is a charge for that as well. Cloud saves shouldnt be much more than a text file either. Literally all of the Steam aspects that are standardized are up to the developers to implement in the game or make compatible. 30% fee on a virtual sale for a virtual platform is massive overhead for a publisher this becomes more difficult when you look at DLC releases and subsequent charges there as well. Even the legacy physical retail channel was not considerably more expensive then the 30% that Valve used to charge. Generally in physical distribution for a 60 usd game, 15 went to the retailer, 4 went to distribution and manufacturing, then some fee for return/unsold games (PC games dont have to pay royalties to manufacturers like Sony or MS). Really 30% of a given sale is a bit cheaper than a traditional physical distribution model, but that doesnt mean that Valve wasnt turning a major profit on a per game basis.

From an infrastructure cost standpoint my question would be if Valve is using public or private cloud for their infrastructure and if it is Valve employees that actually keep the individual store pages updated or the publisher/developer.

Publishers are not necessarily the developers, you can have development houses that self publish, but this doesnt seem to be all that common anymore given that most dev houses cant handle the overhead of game development and everything that goes along with it. Publishers are present in the scenario regardless of whether it is virtual or physical distribution. Most games wouldnt exist today without publishers covering the cost of development, additionally publishers didnt take 70-80% of titles they were under 50% on average.

Last edited by Woundingchaney; 09-22-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #30 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
Does Epic Support Linux?

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon VII
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Platinum
Cooling: HeatKiller For CPU & Bykski for GPU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in