[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity

post #31 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
I'm simply sick of having to have x number of programs to open said games. So much so that i just wont buy BL3 or control till they come to steam. We have UPlay, Origin, Galaxy, Steam, EGS, Battlenet, microsoft, etc. holy christ when will it stop? Why the F do i have to have 20 game launchers tied to prospective stores for that publisher because they're greedy beyond all get out when i just want them on steam or no program at all. This is a non issue on consoles of course but yeah i'm sick of it.
THIS!!!! I start playing less and less game now cos of this stupid nonsense.

Give us a universal browser where we can get any game we wanted and not have 5-8 launcher which I forget which password is used for which.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 AM
Goddess of Misfortune

Rep: 155 (Unique: 127)
Reading this thread, I am reminded of the April Fools Joke Corsair did this year: The Game Launcher Launcher.

At this rate, a major part of me wishes this were actually real.

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
Ultrima RPX56
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600X @3.78GHz
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon v.1.9
GPU
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Edition
RAM
16GB (2x8GB) Team Dark Pro 3200MHz DDR4
Hard Drive
256GB ADATA SX8000 NVMe SSD
Optical Drive
HP dvd1265i 24X
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Sharkoon M25-W
Operating System
Windows 10/Mageia 6
Monitor
HP OMEN 25 (24.5" 144Hz)
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01
Mouse
Cougar Revenger
CPU
Intel Core i7 870
Motherboard
EVGA P55V
GPU
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti
RAM
6GB 1333MHz DDR3 (4GB+2GB)
Hard Drive
240GB SanDisk SSD Plus
Optical Drive
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD+/-RW
Power Supply
Diablotek PMD 650W
Case
Compaq Presario 7478 case from 2000
Operating System
Mageia 5.1
Monitor
Compaq MV520 15" CRT
Keyboard
Compaq SK-2800C
Mouse
Corsair Gaming M45
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Regardless of what people feel about EGS I hope games like COntrol still find an audience. It's pretty amazing how across various publications like Digital Foundry, Easy Allies, Giant Bomb, etc. despite the performance issues they are experieincing they are also having a lot of fun with Control.

This will be a game I will pick up once I upgrade my PC during this Black Friday season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:10 AM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
Regardless of what people feel about EGS I hope games like COntrol still find an audience. It's pretty amazing how across various publications like Digital Foundry, Easy Allies, Giant Bomb, etc. despite the performance issues they are experieincing they are also having a lot of fun with Control.

This will be a game I will pick up once I upgrade my PC during this Black Friday season.
Every game manages to find audience eventually, and it's because literally everyone owns a console or a computer and plays videogames, unfortunately i would add.
post #35 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:14 AM
mfw

Rep: 393 (Unique: 205)
Quote: Originally Posted by AuraNova View Post
At this rate, a major part of me wishes this were actually real.
Yeah, if only for the "Itcher 3: Wild Bugs" game in the video.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #36 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 70)
Quote: Originally Posted by Woundingchaney View Post
Everything you have listed is virtually no work from an infrastructure standpoint and if it is then Valve is very far behind the times. I would imagine they are running scripts for everything and I seriously doubt its costing them much at all to host titles on an individual level. Literally everything should be pre-scripted and spinning up the infrastructure to host new titles shouldnt be difficult, particularly given how long Steam has been available. Everything from the sales interface, the forum, the advertising, the store site, etc should be scripted.Its also important to note that Valve may provide dev tools (steamworks) for things like mutiplayer, but its up to the developers to implement them (I would also imagine Valve charges for support/troubleshooting on this as well). If Valve is providing dedicated servers for multiplayer to publishers I can guarantee there is a charge for that as well. Cloud saves shouldnt be much more than a text file either. Literally all of the Steam aspects that are standardized are up to the developers to implement in the game or make compatible.
It doesn't matter if it's "scripted". Maintaining a massive global infrastructure is a lot of work. Making everything play nicely together and work seamlessly is a ton of work. It costs a lot of money to pay the developers to develop and maintain those "simple scripts". Nothing about maintaining a massive system like Steam is simple, easy or cheap.

Look at all the services Steam provides developers:
Automatic Localization Support (the correct language of a game is downloaded to the correct region)
Automatic Region-Based Pricing
Global Digital Distribution
Achievements
Automatic Updates
Ability to Gift Games
Mods/Workshop
Storefront
Multiplayer Matchmaking
Friends
Chat
Beta-Support/Automatic Updating
Discussion Forums
Cloud-Based Saves
Screenshot/video clip sharing
Voice/Party Chat

and probably a ton of other features I'm forgetting or don't even know about. All of those would be a massive undertaking for a studio to implement on their own. Valve handles all of that.
Quote:
Even the legacy physical retail channel was not considerably more expensive then the 30% that Valve used to charge. Generally in physical distribution for a 60 usd game, 15 went to the retailer, 4 went to distribution and manufacturing, then some fee for return/unsold games (PC games dont have to pay royalties to manufacturers like Sony or MS). Really 30% of a given sale is a bit cheaper than a traditional physical distribution model, but that doesnt mean that Valve wasnt turning a major profit on a per game basis.
You are way off on your numbers. With traditional disc based games, the publisher kept around 60% of the wholesale cost of the game (as in what the store pays for it). This means the developer (not the publisher or the store) would only net between 20-30% of the total retail price of the game. Steam letting developers keep 70% of the total retail cost was a HUGE change.

Quote:
additionally publishers didnt take 70-80% of titles they were under 50% on average.
Maybe if it was an in-house developer owned by the publisher, or a mega developer like Dice or Infinity Ward. Not for smaller guys.
post #37 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by battlenut View Post
Does Epic Support Linux?
More of a what game developer releases for Linux? Close to none and for a good reason.
post #38 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post
It doesn't matter if it's "scripted". Maintaining a massive global infrastructure is a lot of work. Making everything play nicely together and work seamlessly is a ton of work. It costs a lot of money to pay the developers to develop and maintain those "simple scripts". Nothing about maintaining a massive system like Steam is simple, easy or cheap.

Look at all the services Steam provides developers:
Automatic Localization Support (the correct language of a game is downloaded to the correct region)
Automatic Region-Based Pricing
Global Digital Distribution
Achievements
Automatic Updates
Ability to Gift Games
Mods/Workshop
Storefront
Multiplayer Matchmaking
Friends
Chat
Beta-Support/Automatic Updating
Discussion Forums
Cloud-Based Saves
Screenshot/video clip sharing
Voice/Party Chat

and probably a ton of other features I'm forgetting or don't even know about. All of those would be a massive undertaking for a studio to implement on their own. Valve handles all of that.

You are way off on your numbers. With traditional disc based games, the publisher kept around 60% of the wholesale cost of the game (as in what the store pays for it). This means the developer (not the publisher or the store) would only net between 20-30% of the total retail price of the game. Steam letting developers keep 70% of the total retail cost was a HUGE change.

Maybe if it was an in-house developer owned by the publisher, or a mega developer like Dice or Infinity Ward. Not for smaller guys.
Its not as much work as you would imagine and given a legacy charge of 30% per sale I guarantee they were making a huge profit, yes there are infrastructure costs but their profit margins should be huge. I have worked for global software providers and still do currently, when you look at an operation on this scale Valve could easily be a 70 point business. You seem to be starry eyed over various features with no concept on what it actually costs Steam to provide those features. Of course they add value, but their cost to maintain really isnt costing Valve much of anything and its not as if these features are perpetually being updated so they arent constantly eating up dev time. Additionally, you need to understand the difference on what the publisher/developer has to integrate and support in their game and what Valve has to support. There is nothing on that list that should be a significant cost to Valve at this point, particularly given the size of their operation

All these features you are listing really isnt costing Valve substantial amounts of money, there is little overhead with them especially given they are established services and have been for years. I feel as if you arent overly familiar with operations in a software company or hosting in general. Developers wouldnt be the one creating and maintaining scripts, this would be done by infrastructure engineers and those engineers Im almost guaranteeing are largely procured in regions where labor cost is low (Malaysia, India, etc).

Quote: Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post
you are way off on your numbers. With traditional disc based games, the publisher kept around 60% of the wholesale cost of the game (as in what the store pays for it). This means the developer (not the publisher or the store) would only net between 20-30% of the total retail price of the game. Steam letting developers keep 70% of the total retail cost was a HUGE change.
Do you have any proof here? You still seem to be confused with the developer and publisher relationship. A 30% cost for delivery was not a huge change by any means. You would need to be a rather large development house to cover the cost of developing and marketing a title (not to mention exterior issues such as IP ownership and legal concerns), what you seem to be alluding to is self publishing which is more common for lower tier games. For those lower tier self published games a 30% cost for a platform is a huge cost, which is why so many developers and publishers are more than happy to host on competing platforms for a lower percentage. Even then Valve offered publishing assistance for smaller dev houses, but it came with relatively high stakes.

If you want a recent break down of physical channels:

https://gamerant.com/video-game-prices-breakdown-514/

Notice the general cost isnt that much (or at least comparable to the numbers you are throwing around) and once again PC games dont pay royalty fees (traditionally royalty fees were 5-6 usd or right around 10% of the consumer cost).

Last edited by Woundingchaney; 09-22-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #39 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
I'm simply sick of having to have x number of programs to open said games. So much so that i just wont buy BL3 or control till they come to steam. We have UPlay, Origin, Galaxy, Steam, EGS, Battlenet, microsoft, etc. holy christ when will it stop? Why the F do i have to have 20 game launchers tied to prospective stores for that publisher because they're greedy beyond all get out when i just want them on steam or no program at all. This is a non issue on consoles of course but yeah i'm sick of it.
Yeah this is the big thing for me. Especially managing friends lists across multiple things, most people just don't have the interest in being on a half-dozen platforms for one or two games each.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition/Hydro Copper
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
EK PE360 + Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #40 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
Yeah this is the big thing for me. Especially managing friends lists across multiple things, most people just don't have the interest in being on a half-dozen platforms for one or two games each.
I use an all in one launcher, makes it a bit easier to manage and my libraries auto populate to it. Now of course you would still need to manage friends lists for various launchers and what not, but it does a good bit to address the multiple platforms issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in