[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Twitter] Epic Games paid 9.49 million euro for Control exclusivity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #51 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 18,930
Rep: 552 (Unique: 313)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
I got the game free with my GPU and have found it to be really meh, it only lasted about 15 minutes for me. The RTX effects look good but when it drags a RTX 2080S to 40FPS it becomes useless.

9.49M is crazy for exclusivity, like Imouto said, I can't imagine how much they spent on BL3.
its silly, even with no Ray tracing settings enabled, i can barely maintain 60FPS @ 1440p, with everything on low/off - via 1080ti.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,302
Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
I know I'm going to regret it but here we go.

Valve can't lower their cut because it would be playing into Epic's hand. When Valve didn't fold Sweeney was practically on his knees begging because this plan of his isn't going anywhere. They're hemorrhaging cash while giving free games left and right, buying exclusives like there is no tomorrow and more importantly with a shop that won't ever be as profitable as Steam.
Epic is not hemorrhaging money. They have at least ten billion of basically liquid cash in the bank. 10 million here or there to get some exclusivity deals and license fees to give away old games and indie games for free is peanuts. They can keep that up for a long time, and they have other things to offer developers that we probably don't hear about like discounted licensing fees for their game engine.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
How is it the same thing? Sony and Nintendo funded the games they sold exclusively. They enabled the developers to work on their products and afforded them what they needed. You see, they're part of the reason why their exclusives exist in the first place. Epic are simply paying developers to sell their finished products on their store exclusively, sometimes even when they already announced and marketed on competing platforms.

Anyone can buy their games from whatever store for all I care. Your argument to do so, though, is just not legitimate.
I didn't really make any argument for buying games from Epic, just that Epic isn't doing most of the things people are hating on them for. And per my Sony and Nintendo comment, sometimes they support devs. Sometimes they do exclusivity deals just like Epic is doing. Either way they both go to great lengths to create physical walled gardens via hardware that consumer have to buy just to do something our PC's could do just as well if not for Sony and Nintendo syphoning dev projects into their walled gardens.

Now if you agree with what I just said or not, just try and recognize there are a lot of different ways to look at this whole market and what all it's different players are doing. PC gamers get extremely narrow mined when it comes to Steam and how they purchase games.

I don't think devs really care if their profits come from pure sales or exclusivity deals. Money is what enables devs to work of their products, and no one is forcing devs to take these deals. There is nothing anti consumer about it, people just don't like it. Steam is better than the Epic launcher, no doubt, but in a year or two I expect they will function about equally. If they released a game I actually wanted to buy on the Epic store, I would buy it. Literally the only game I can think of that they could offer would be a new unreal tournament game, and that isn't happening.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
UltraMega is offline  
post #53 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:58 PM
TEC Veteran
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,974
Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
I love how the kids and hipsters of today are basically what we expected from the old boomers years ago - basically its "cool" to hate everything even remotely mainstream .

The Epic hate is so edgy guys...I bet you also hate Windows, Logitech, Razer, all big AAA developers, franchised restaurants (except Starbucks), cable TV, Radio, gas cars, basically any successful large business...anything else I'm missing?


Quote: Originally Posted by oxidized View Post
I see this sentence parroted everywhere and it's mainly from clueless and careless consumers.
Neither clueless nor careless...20 years of computer building and gaming experience from the days of downloading text based MUDs on dial-up so I was there FIRST HAND for all these software evolutions throughout time. On top of that, I have started and ran two different licensed business so I understand the business aspect as well. Therefore, I am likely many times more qualified than you to speak on this subject...but its a public forum so please continue, just try to be a bit more aware of the company you are dealing with.

Quote: Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
If only Epic would actually throw that money at finishing a proper Unreal Tournament remake.. I'd use the launcher just for that.

People still tend to forget how much Valve has done for the industry with Steam. Sure, they aren't perfect but they sure turned the ship around.
They were making great progress until Fortnite blew up and they moved the remianing UT team to Fortnite . I'd trade Fortnite for a completed UT4 in a HEARTBEAT.


Puck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Optics Fiend
 
Blackops_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,831
Rep: 81 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Puck View Post


They were making great progress until Fortnite blew up and they moved the remianing UT team to Fortnite . I'd trade Fortnite for a completed UT4 in a HEARTBEAT.
There's something we agree on.

As to the edgy hate. I don't think i dislike them for that reason. It's the same premise i dislike Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, etc. They're just pissing me off more because they're buying exclusivity on games they aren't the publisher for. I can wait but like i said honestly just tired of running x amount of programs to launch games. Yes i vividly remember how i felt when steam first launched, but fact of the matter is they were first to market (with great success eventually) and the vast majority of my games are on steam and now every publisher and their brother is coming up with their own digital distributing service left and right to capitalize on profits, while it makes sense from a business standpoint at this rate we're going to have to launch 20+ programs to launch a damn game. It's just kind of superfluous to be honest.

Green Envy
(12 items)
Purple Haze
(12 items)
CPU
i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
GPU
EVGA 780 Classified
RAM
16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w M12II
Cooling
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
Case
Phantek Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 7 64-Bit Home premium
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Logitech G15
CPU
Ryzen R5 1600x
Motherboard
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX
GPU
Diamond 7970
RAM
G Skill DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis L-Series 240 Stealth
Cooling
EK-FC7970 CSQ
Cooling
Mayhems X1 UV Purple
Case
Fractal Design Define S Nano
▲ hide details ▲
Blackops_2 is offline  
post #55 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,302
Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Puck View Post

They were making great progress until Fortnite blew up and they moved the remianing UT team to Fortnite . I'd trade Fortnite for a completed UT4 in a HEARTBEAT.
Progress was always really slow, they never seemed dedicated to it at all, long before fortnite.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
UltraMega is offline  
post #56 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
 
TK421's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,379
Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
I don't see the problem here, Swiney gave Control away for free! HOODLUM is releasing them through user based networks and it doesn't even require the EGS to play!


nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀


TK421 is offline  
post #57 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,185
Rep: 121 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by oxidized View Post
This.

Again, 30% is a perfectly fair amount for the amount and the quality of services steam offers.
That isnt for you as a end point consumer to decide and for the most part the only thing of substance they are providing to the IP owner is a sales platform.

You may find it reasonable, but many publishers and developers have been outspoken about this overhead. I can guarantee if I was in their position I would not be pleased with a 30% cost for managing the sale.


Last edited by Woundingchaney; 09-23-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Woundingchaney is offline  
post #58 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
guttheslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,724
Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
There's something we agree on.

As to the edgy hate. I don't think i dislike them for that reason. It's the same premise i dislike Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, etc. They're just pissing me off more because they're buying exclusivity on games they aren't the publisher for. I can wait but like i said honestly just tired of running x amount of programs to launch games. Yes i vividly remember how i felt when steam first launched, but fact of the matter is they were first to market (with great success eventually) and the vast majority of my games are on steam and now every publisher and their brother is coming up with their own digital distributing service left and right to capitalize on profits, while it makes sense from a business standpoint at this rate we're going to have to launch 20+ programs to launch a damn game. It's just kind of superfluous to be honest.
The biggest problem is we need to rmb every goddamn password.

As if our office login/gmail/banking acct havent got enough password to rmb.

guttheslayer is offline  
post #59 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 AM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,302
Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Woundingchaney View Post
That isnt for you as a consumer to decide and for the most part the only thing of substance they are providing to the IP owner is a sales platform.

You may find it reasonable, but many publishers and developers have been outspoken about this overhead. I can guarantee if I was in their position I would not be pleased with a 30% cost for managing the sale.
This.

Steam die hards will argue that Valve really needs all that money to operate their servers but that is a load of crap. Their operational costs cannot even be 10% of their profits with how much they make. I think Valve should come down to 15%. They had their run with no other competition for so long but if they want to keep gamers happy by keeping games all on one platform, they just need to lower their cut.

Basically, if you hate the Epic store, you should be mad at Valve to some extent for taking such a high cut that devs are willing to go to these lengths to try to get around it.


I will say that it definitely would have been better if Epic tried to make a few of their own IP's other than fortnite to try to lure people in. People clearly mind using something other than steam a lot less when its the same company making and selling the game. With so many young fortnite players though, there is going to be a whole new generation of kids that are totally used to and fine with the Epic launcher.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 09-23-2019 at 12:23 AM.
UltraMega is offline  
post #60 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,185
Rep: 121 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
This.

Steam die hards will argue that Valve really needs all that money to operate their servers but that is a load of crap. Their operational costs cannot even be 10% of their profits with how much they make. I think Valve should come down to 15%. They had their run with no other competition for so long but if they want to keep gamers happy by keeping games all on one platform, they just need to lower their cut.

Basically, if you hate the Epic store, you should be mad at Valve to some extent for taking such a high cut that devs are willing to go to these lengths to try to get around it.


I will say that it definitely would have been better if Epic tried to make a few of their own IP's other than fortnite to try to lure people in. People clearly mind using something other than steam a lot less when its the same company making and selling the game. With so many young fortnite players though, there is going to be a whole new generation of kids that are totally used to and fine with the Epic launcher.
I suppose its natural, but I find it ridiculous that so many gamers are willing to come to Steams/Valves defense when they have no knowledge of the market itself, infrastructure costs, or even who is responsible for providing these services they "appreciate" so much.

From an infrastructure and service delivery standpoint I have virtually no doubt that Steam could offer all of this at 10% of sale or under and still make a profit. This level of bias is ridiculous.

Valve created a market that they flat out dominated and the only true shift in the market is happening because another large software company is more than willing to exploit the profit margins that Valve has been holding all this time. This is base line economics.....

Woundingchaney is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off