[IGN] Microsoft Flight Simulator Preview: A Stunningly Detailed Aviation Simulation - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[IGN] Microsoft Flight Simulator Preview: A Stunningly Detailed Aviation Simulation

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 34 (Unique: 30)
[IGN] Microsoft Flight Simulator Preview: A Stunningly Detailed Aviation Simulation

Quote:
I thought I might be the only one who visited mapping sites like Google Maps and Bing to "visit" places I'd been in the past, or places I've never been before. Developer Asobo Studio took this concept and uses it to recreate literally any location on the surface of the Earth. Data is pulled, in real time, from 2 petabytes (PETABYTES!) of Bing satellite imagery. The effect is absolutely incredible.
Trees and buildings are modeled on the fly in 3D and sit exactly where they do in real life. We were invited to try to find our houses and fly over them, which, of course, I did. Since the buildings are generated, it didn't look like my house, but it was exactly where my house is in real life. All my neighbors houses were where they are here in the real world, with the roads and side streets busy with procedurally-generated traffic.
But I wanted to see just how deep the data really went. Asobo told us during the presentation you could fly from or to over 40,000 real-world airports. I asked Asobo Studio CCO David Dedeine and lead programmer Lionel Fuentes if that meant I could land in one of the airstrips dotting the many islands on the Maine coast. Their answer: "Why don't you try it?"
This new sim/game is as much a technology showcase as anything else. There is a lot of really impressive tech going into this game, a lot more than this article covers. In a nutshell, Microsoft has taken satelite data to propegate the entire world into this game, and then used AI to clean up the images and add in 3D models.

Also note that this game might have RTX added at some point but none of the screen shots of videos so far are done with RTX.

Also note, some places have called this a next gen title but it's not. This will come to Xbox 1 and PC and will be out on game pass as soon as it releases.

Additional info:

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...ion-simulation

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 09-30-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM
4kfan

Rep: 164 (Unique: 143)
After seeing all the videos from the simmers that were invited to the global event I don't think that I have EVER been so exited for anything in my life. I am a life long flight simmer and race simmer and this is going to change everything this is seriously something that I have dreamed of and talked about with friends that in the future flight sims could use sat data to create a true living world. I think that they have done it. YES!!! IM EXITED!

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 563 (Unique: 321)
next gen only for the series.

some day i'll have room to bust out my warthog again.

does anyone remember that random MS planes demo during the original dx12 announcement hype? reminds me of that

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 342 (Unique: 242)
So they finally took satellite data at a good resolution, while previously it was often just rough approximation. Nothing new.
Decent looking sky rendering. Nothing new.
Dynamic object loading and procedural generation to span a planet, universe, ... Nothing new.
Graphics looks classic modern stuff, pimped up non cartooney GTA. Water/reflections give it away the most.
Blown out tonemapping, check.
Pop in, check.

Certainly looks pre-alpha.

Worth it? Who knows, depend what the physical simulation will be like and what aircraft and modes of play offered. Flying around in a slow plane for hours is only fun for so long virtually.
Can't say I've been impressed with the difficulty of flying in flying sims I tried before, always marketed as a sim and then it flew like an arcade. The only thing that's hard to fly are the modern big jets that are pretty much an autopilot and if one wants to fly manually takes a damn procedure of special buttons and command to turn all that auto stuff off.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
Looking mighty sharp! Can't wait to give this one a try.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
So they finally took satellite data at a good resolution, while previously it was often just rough approximation. Nothing new.
Decent looking sky rendering. Nothing new.
Dynamic object loading and procedural generation to span a planet, universe, ... Nothing new.
Graphics looks classic modern stuff, pimped up non cartooney GTA. Water/reflections give it away the most.
Blown out tonemapping, check.
Pop in, check.

Certainly looks pre-alpha.

Worth it? Who knows, depend what the physical simulation will be like and what aircraft and modes of play offered. Flying around in a slow plane for hours is only fun for so long virtually.
Can't say I've been impressed with the difficulty of flying in flying sims I tried before, always marketed as a sim and then it flew like an arcade. The only thing that's hard to fly are the modern big jets that are pretty much an autopilot and if one wants to fly manually takes a damn procedure of special buttons and command to turn all that auto stuff off.
it's a video game, check. nothing new.

and peripherals support. can't forget that. That's always a huge one. or if the engine has better process management than the last...which you'd hope its a DX12 title. Warthog + a good sim = epic good times.

if anything is due for a revamp in MS's library, its MSFS.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 34 (Unique: 30)
FYI; this is running DX 11, not DX12 and it is not next gen only, it will release on Xbox 1.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
Warthog + a good sim = epic good times.

This warthog? I googled it out of curiosity.

From the warthog that goes BRRRRRRT?

Man that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. If it's that good I guess I'm ponying up $500 for one.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

yessir!

and I have a second stick in case anyone ever gets around to making a mirrored model for lefties. (some folks were on it, maybe its happened by now thanks to Elite Dangerous)

space fighting is best on dual sticks. Space trucking? the throttle works fine. Some day I'll build out a proper sim pit again. Just so many other more important things those stacks gotta go to first.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
Warthog + a good sim = epic good times.

This warthog? I googled it out of curiosity.

From the warthog that goes BRRRRRRT?

Man that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. If it's that good I guess I'm ponying up $500 for one.
That's actually old and a bit outdated

Google for vkb sim sticks and virpil mongoose hotas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in