[USA Today]Epic Games sued for not warning parents 'Fortnite' is allegedly as addictive as cocaine - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[USA Today]Epic Games sued for not warning parents 'Fortnite' is allegedly as addictive as cocaine

post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
If games are addictive then so is the willingness to emulate the violence in them in real life but wait that's fake news right it's the evil guns fault that papa didn't secure very well
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Emulation of violence in video games has nothing to do with addictive behavior. At most, it will make a person lash out onto and around himself, but go and start a mass shooting.
Emulation of violence on its own, you can say a person play 20 minutes of a violent game and wants to kill the whole world in a nuclear flame. That something that preexist in them before gaming, not as a consequences to it.

But addiction and the pursuit of the dopamine "hit" can cause frustration and anger and a person can lash out.

When was the last time you got angry in a video game? Yelled "Come on!" at the screen because something didn't work well?
Can you tell why you got frustrated so much you needed to yell, instead of just calmly say "ok, I'm done" and shut the game off, instead of playing another hour?
Those are signs of addiction behavior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post
hey if you buy loot boxes its your fault for paying something you dont need. at the end you are the culprit of your own actions no one forced to buy it, if you buy drugs it is your fault no one forced you to do it (extreme example but comes close, also no one forces you to bet you do it yourself)..now you can argue about DLCs and season pass since you are forced to buy it to experience the game as whole
Doctors force you to take drugs all the time so bad example. Besides the law they are arguing is the game was made to be addictive and they hid that fact, that's illegal there.
Also the kids are 10 and 15, I'm an adult. I have a little more control over my actions, or at least more knowledge which is the whole point of the lawsuit.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
This is in Quebec. They could very easily win this.

Games are made to be addicting and money pits. Loot boxes are definitely gambling. Anywhere else but Quebec and this would be laughed out of court, but there it might have a chance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...real-1.5308625

"Game made to be 'as addictive as possible,' lawyer alleges. That success was built from extensive research and development that was aimed at creating an addictive game. Epic Games, when they created Fortnite, for years and years, hired psychologists — they really dug into the human brain and they really made the effort to make it as addictive as possible."
Not really sure how Fortnite is any more addicting than anything else. When I played it, there weren't even lootboxes to get addicted to buying. Rotating skins that disappear, sure, but I don't see that as any different than any other type of shopping addition. It sure isn't close to gambling to me (granted, I haven't played in a long time, so things could be different now).

The only thing I can think of is the "target" demographic for this game, which it does seemed to be aimed at a lower age group than say LoL, WoW, CS:GO. Wonder why those aren't getting sued, (at least) two out of three of them (LoL and CS:GO) have loot boxes. WoW has MTX and expansions on top of requiring a monthly subscription.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 75 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Emulation of violence in video games has nothing to do with addictive behavior. At most, it will make a person lash out onto and around himself, but go and start a mass shooting.
Emulation of violence on its own, you can say a person play 20 minutes of a violent game and wants to kill the whole world in a nuclear flame. That something that preexist in them before gaming, not as a consequences to it.

But addiction and the pursuit of the dopamine "hit" can cause frustration and anger and a person can lash out.

When was the last time you got angry in a video game? Yelled "Come on!" at the screen because something didn't work well?
Can you tell why you got frustrated so much you needed to yell, instead of just calmly say "ok, I'm done" and shut the game off, instead of playing another hour?
Those are signs of addiction behavior.
Hi,
Lashing out in a violent manner okay never seen anyone lash out in a logical or nonviolent manner
Just more splitting of hairs going on

Weak minded people or mentally disturbed don't really need much to set them off any amount of extreme violence is usually enough
Just watching The Purge can really freak people out thinking wow that would be cool lol and we're talking about an interactive ways to slaughter... at ones convenience yeah no harm there

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 558 (Unique: 317)
This is in Quebec. They could very easily win this.

Games are made to be addicting and money pits. Loot boxes are definitely gambling. Anywhere else but Quebec and this would be laughed out of court, but there it might have a chance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...real-1.5308625

"Game made to be 'as addictive as possible,' lawyer alleges. That success was built from extensive research and development that was aimed at creating an addictive game. Epic Games, when they created Fortnite, for years and years, hired psychologists — they really dug into the human brain and they really made the effort to make it as addictive as possible."
would'a done fine in the PNW. I'd put money on a similar case showing up soon in Cali/Washington/Oregon

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)

Except Fortnite was developed as a single player zombie killing game. The Battle Royale format they stole almost in its entirety, right down to the Battle Bus and shrinking storm, from PUBG. There was even a law suit for a while that seems to have been settled out of court:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/27/17...e-lawsuit-ends

Its highly unlikely those millions of kids are addicted to the single player Zombie killing original version.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 558 (Unique: 317)
what they really need is to bring forward the child they're suing over.

hopefully its a cute young female child with a thick accent.

have her on stage just stabbing a doll & screaming "TABBBYYY!!!!"

and PUBG took the BR format from essentially DayZ/Arma mods / classic pickup fps.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 175 (Unique: 120)
Hi,
No where near as bazaar as your comparison
My comparison was intentionally absurd to illustrate a point. The two things aren't related.

Their saying games are addictive
I'm saying violence is also being normalized by games and movies for that matter even more so
I think it is too, but that's a completely separate issue to addiction. You can be addicted to non-violent games. Violence isn't what keeps you playing.

CPU
i7 920 D0
Motherboard
MSI X58 Pro-E
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970IX-4GD)
RAM
3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
840 Pro
Hard Drive
Caviar Black
Optical Drive
LG BD-ROM
Power Supply
Corsair HX-520
Case
CM690
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Dell U2311H
Keyboard
Turbo-Trak (Google it :D)
Mouse
Mionix Avior 7000
Mouse
Everglide Titan
Audio
AKG K 242 HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
They should the parents for misuse of their product. If it's an addiction like legal prescriptions. Then it should be the against the law to abuse it? lol

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ chinese Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 2600 4.1 ghz, 15$ chinese waterblock, same tote 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Wow what terribly stupid parents, and even more stupid law firm for being willing to take this case.

What's next, sue legos for being too much fun for kids?
Some one else said what I wanted to about legos. so edited post.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon VII
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Platinum
Cooling: HeatKiller For CPU & Bykski for GPU

Last edited by battlenut; 10-10-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in