[IGN] The Blizzard China Controversy, and Why #BoycottBlizzard Is Trending, Explained - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[IGN] The Blizzard China Controversy, and Why #BoycottBlizzard Is Trending, Explained

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 19,085
Rep: 874 (Unique: 637)
WoW

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Socio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 68
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Alright, fair enough. My bad.

In any case, Tencent owns 40% of Epic.


They might not be legally bound to abstain from censorship, but they're morally obligated to respect personal opinion, even if that obligation is enforced financially due to public outcry.
Now, I do have little faith in collective human resolve to the point of seriously hurting a giant like Blizzard, so that "obligation" might be pretty dilute.
Tencent answers to the Chinese government as do ALL Chinese businesses and they own a chunk of Activision as well. It has been highly speculated that Tencent acting at the behest of the Chinese government were the ones behind Blizzards actions.

What we are seeing is just a taste of the future as China's financial and political sphere of influence grows in their bid to become the worlds dominant super power they will not only bring businesses to their knees like Activision, and Blizzard, they will bring entire nations to their knees to censor and protect China's image, political views and actions.
Socio is offline  
post #23 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 73
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
You need to have a little bit of perspective on this. Lets take a step back and take a look at how it really went down.

This was a Taiwanese stream and Blizzard China was in full damage control mode to try to mitigate fallout with the Chinese people and government. You have to understand, everything is ultra nationalistic and either you support China/Government/Chinese People or you're against them. Blizzard doesn't want trouble with the LARGEST growing gaming market in the world. Thus they put out a statement saying that they're all for the chinese people and that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. Blizzard China was in their every right to kill the stream, fire their interviewers for facilitating the interview and stripping the player of his money. This was in the TOS rules for competing in the Heartstone Grand Finals. You can't just hijack a gaming platform that is owned and run by a company to voice your highly controversial views (in china) and not expect to be punished. Likewise, you can't go into a live CNN broadcast and curse out congress and throw out death threats without expecting to be censored and banned from CNN in the future. This isn't an argument for or against free speech. This is a case where the participants clearly broke rules and are getting punished for it.

Now the real problem for Blizzard US is how to respond to something like this. They're screwed if they stand behind Blizzard China with the western audience but they're also screwed with their Chinese audience if they backpedal on the original stance. It's just a crap situation all around.

Blizzard doesn't want to talk politics. They don't want to take sides on a hot potato issue. In fact, as a publicly traded company, they shouldn't take sides on issues like this. This isn't an instance where Activision is stepping in and telling Blizzard how to act.

Blizzard trying is walking a fine line between Chinese and American cultural differences and accepted norms.
SuprPwrUsr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:11 AM
LTSC Consiglieri
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 22,223
Rep: 647 (Unique: 349)
it almost seems like there are inherent issues in global business practices. who would'a thunk

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
skupples is offline  
post #25 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 AM
What should be here ?
 
huzzug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,339
Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
In any case, Tencent owns 40% of Epic.
Fun fact. I can own 75% of shares in a publicly traded company (not really possible, but more of hypothetical) and Ican still not have a say in how the company is run. Alternatively, I could own 0.5% of shares and still have all the board cycle to work everyday whether they like it or not. Keyword to always lookout for is "Control / Controlling Interest".

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
huzzug is online now  
post #26 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 AM
I Love this Hobby!
 
Gunderman456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,685
Rep: 611 (Unique: 504)
Quote: Originally Posted by SuprPwrUsr View Post
You need to have a little bit of perspective on this. Lets take a step back and take a look at how it really went down.

This was a Taiwanese stream and Blizzard China was in full damage control mode to try to mitigate fallout with the Chinese people and government. You have to understand, everything is ultra nationalistic and either you support China/Government/Chinese People or you're against them. Blizzard doesn't want trouble with the LARGEST growing gaming market in the world. Thus they put out a statement saying that they're all for the chinese people and that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. Blizzard China was in their every right to kill the stream, fire their interviewers for facilitating the interview and stripping the player of his money. This was in the TOS rules for competing in the Heartstone Grand Finals. You can't just hijack a gaming platform that is owned and run by a company to voice your highly controversial views (in china) and not expect to be punished. Likewise, you can't go into a live CNN broadcast and curse out congress and throw out death threats without expecting to be censored and banned from CNN in the future. This isn't an argument for or against free speech. This is a case where the participants clearly broke rules and are getting punished for it.

Now the real problem for Blizzard US is how to respond to something like this. They're screwed if they stand behind Blizzard China with the western audience but they're also screwed with their Chinese audience if they backpedal on the original stance. It's just a crap situation all around.

Blizzard doesn't want to talk politics. They don't want to take sides on a hot potato issue. In fact, as a publicly traded company, they shouldn't take sides on issues like this. This isn't an instance where Activision is stepping in and telling Blizzard how to act.

Blizzard trying is walking a fine line between Chinese and American cultural differences and accepted norms.
China owns 5% of Activision. This was to protect their future sales in the biggest gaming populous of China.

Actually, what happened is Blizzard released a statement to the West stating that people have a right to their views and turned about face and their statement to the Chinese was condemning of this guy's actions. They are two face and they are playing it differently to each of the markets for maximum profits.



-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Fast n' Cheap
(17 items)
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
CPU
RYZEN 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 16-19-19-39 CL 16 1.35V
Hard Drive
Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate BarraCuda ST3000DM008 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
Optical Drive
LG 16X SATA Blu-Ray Internal Rewriter with 3D Playback and M-DISC Support BH16NS40
Power Supply
Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 80 PLUS Platinum Certified 860W Full Modular
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Veddha GriderCase alpha V1
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" IPS Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Keyboard
Redragon K589 SHRAPNEL RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
Other
PulseLabz Challenger Gaming Chair
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ Core 1160MHz & Memory 1350MHz
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair H60 Push/Pull
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech MX518
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha HTR-5830 Polk Audio 3.0
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990 @ Clock 900MHz & Memory 1100MHz
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz @ 1866MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD CT128M4SSD3 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
▲ hide details ▲


Gunderman456 is offline  
post #27 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:52 AM
New to OCN?
 
PontiacGTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 26,848
Rep: 1543 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Alright, fair enough. My bad.

In any case, Tencent owns 40% of Epic.


They might not be legally bound to abstain from censorship, but they're morally obligated to respect personal opinion, even if that obligation is enforced financially due to public outcry.
Now, I do have little faith in collective human resolve to the point of seriously hurting a giant like Blizzard, so that "obligation" might be pretty dilute.
just a link
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/9/2...ite-blitzchung

I wonder if he would actually do it.
PontiacGTX is offline  
post #28 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Tokyo the defiler
 
emeianoite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: lawlz
Posts: 828
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I would like to see a comprehensive list of major gaming companies with significant investments from Chinese companies, so I know what to avoid.


Looks like Apple is one of them: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/10/76884...ong-protesters
My teenage angst is breaking looooooossssseeeee:


I WILL NOT CONFORM TO YOUR STANDARDS! I AM BOYCOTTING EVERYTHING BOUGHT, SOLD, OR PROCESSSSEEED.

Babies are just something you have to not make die...



emeianoite is offline  
post #29 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Legacy Member
 
Woundingchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,231
Rep: 122 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I would like to see a comprehensive list of major gaming companies with significant investments from Chinese companies, so I know what to avoid.


Looks like Apple is one of them: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/10/76884...ong-protesters
At this point Im fairly sure it is virtually every major studio, same for Hollywood.

Even private studio receives large incentives from chinese corporations (backed by the Chinese government) for game development.



Woundingchaney is offline  
post #30 of 203 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
DNMock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,627
Rep: 173 (Unique: 127)
In a twist of irony, I think a tariff on goods and services in the U.S. on Chinese owned companies may be the fastest way to quell this.

Something like if Tencent owns 20% of Blizzard-Activision they get a 10% tariff on their goods sold in the U.S. if Tencent owns 60% of Epic, they get a 30% tariff on their goods sold in the U.S.


The problem is that China has a hard cap on the number of foreign made movies or games that are allowed to be shown/sold. So to bypass this, they partner with a Chinese owned company which in turn allows the Chinese government to have a big say in what the said company can and cannot do, enforcing their propaganda worldwide.

To squash it, you gotta make this tactic unprofitable.


DNMock is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off