Overclock.net banner

[The Verge] Steam now lets you play local multiplayer games with friends over the internet

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  UltraMega 
#1 ·
Steam’s new Remote Play Together feature, which lets you play local multiplayer games over the internet, has launched in beta. The existence of the feature was first reported earlier this month, and it allows up to four online players (“or even more in ideal conditions” according to Valve) to participate in a local multiplayer game as though they were sitting in the same room.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/21...her-beta-valve-online-co-op-local-multiplayer

Another non-feature that doesn't improve the service or the user experience.

#2 ·
This sounds pretty cool. It's a bit unfortunate that offline multiplayer games have taken a developmental backseat. Virtually everything is either story-driven SP or exclusively online.

In any case, the tech itself is really cool.

#3 ·
thanks for implementing something end users have been hamachi'ing around for ages.

all this PC & console gaming stagnation has me grateful for my switch lite, and inbound wii U. Home brew and nostalgia will get my by until the industry finally wakes back up. We aren't too far off now, it just doesn't truly shake up until Intel launches their second run of GPUs.

#4 ·
Used to be called Hamachi decade+ ago and used among other free VPNs for playing dangerous waters games in multiplayer.

Some games still do support direct IP connection to a server but it's getting more rare as developers prefer to have their own single point of attack called master server without which their whole game dies instantly. The master server is used for discovering servers run by anyone or in some cases by the developer only.
An old school LAN doesn't need to be LAN if one has public IP server.

Who is this feature for with Steam...??? Beside the split screen gaming streaming mode? What Steam games actually benefit from having a VPN = one lacks public IP to run their server?

#7 ·
i'd assume it'll help folks play stuff like Divinity, & Borderlands across two PCs within the same home, without having a second license to use the official MP built in.

#5 ·
Steam does support many relatively old or small titles as well, some of which can be played over LAN.
Even if AAA/top title players don't need it, I'm sure many users will be relieved by the convenience of dropping VPNs in one form of another.

As long as it's not force-fed to users, I am perfectly fine with this feature.

#6 ·
This is cool. Always had a mixed experience using Hamachi, Evolve and whatever else I could find and try. If this works easily and seamlessly, fab.

#11 ·
I'm totally outraged that I now have a free optional feature that allows me to play my rather sizable collection of local multiplayer only steam games online. It's awful. How dare they?

#13 ·
you know why they don't report bridge jumpers from the Golden Gate? It increases the # of jumps.

The same philosophy applies for negativity and ridiculousness. It's less likely to happen and repeat itself if its ignored.

#20 ·
What this does is it Streams your game (only shared screen multiplayer games) to your friend so they can play with you. For them it's like they are playing on Stadia or something, they are basically streaming the game from your PC. They just show up as a second local controller being connected. I've tried this with two friends in two games so far and it's worked great. Really cool feature to have.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.