[YT] Warcraft III Reforged Reviews - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[YT] Warcraft III Reforged Reviews

post #111 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
Eh, blaming piracy is an easy out, rather than admit they made something inherently poor, buggy or mis-targetted. Remember C&C4? That bombed hard because C&C gamers didn't want the RTS equivalent of WoW. Spore bombed because it actually wasn't all that great (hugely oversold, rather like the first release of No Man's Sky) and the abominable DRM scheme which impacted actual pirates for about three days.

I'd like a wave of Star Wars games, but I want things like a new TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance or Rogue Squadron... or Supremacy/Rebellion. Or, for that matter, a next entry in the Jedi Knight saga.

Heck, as much as I frown at how lazy it is just to "remake" stuff... I'd go with remakes of X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance/Jedi Knight games in Unreal Engine 4, since many dev teams have shown it works well for FPS and space games.

But I'd rather the new films were just wiped from the collective consciousness of the universe. I saw Force Awakens via Lovefilm and it felt like I was watching A New Hope with the soul ripped out. I never bothered with any of the ones after.

What does "on a plane" mean? I'm missing some slang, I think...
I missed C&C4. WoW caused me to write them off forever. I saw it as a selling out type of deal. Cloning ever quest to smash commercial success would change them forever. n it did. Also, I'm pretty sure they had already started gobbling up IPs by then. EA is the worst offender. So many unique IPs in the vault never to be seen again (like Black & White series)

i think most people agree with your list of remakes. they should have two branches. a remake team, and a new IP team.

just gotta remember, the purpose of star wars has been and always will be selling toys. idk about "soul" as much as piss poor acting, but then again, the acting in the originals was pretty terrible as well. I was reminded of this over the holiday because we attended Episode IV W/ orchestra.

on a plane - on an airplane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane

Quote: Originally Posted by warr10r View Post
From the same studio that made Mass Effect Andromeda? Do you really want to see that?

20-odd years of gaming and following developments has left me scarred and jaded. Its probably why I seem to find myself playing "proven classics" more than any new and shiny titles out there.
andromeda was pretty boring. it felt like an MMO that got axed mid-development then shoe-horned into a single player title. It had to remind you it was Mass Effect, because it was so generic & bland.

either way, someone's gotta do it. N it doesn't seem Bioware's been all that busy recently so no "Anthem" excuses can pop up.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 02-18-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Not sure why this turned into a thread about EA...
post #113 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 09:48 AM

cuz they're all in the same category of fail.

blizzard
EA
ubisoft
bethesda

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 201)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
I missed C&C4. WoW caused me to write them off forever. I saw it as a selling out type of deal. Cloning ever quest to smash commercial success would change them forever. n it did. Also, I'm pretty sure they had already started gobbling up IPs by then. EA is the worst offender. So many unique IPs in the vault never to be seen again (like Black & White series)

i think most people agree with your list of remakes. they should have two branches. a remake team, and a new IP team.

just gotta remember, the purpose of star wars has been and always will be selling toys. idk about "soul" as much as piss poor acting, but then again, the acting in the originals was pretty terrible as well. I was reminded of this over the holiday because we attended Episode IV W/ orchestra.

on a plane - on an airplane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane
I frequently think CGI-heavy films have no "soul". The originals were masterpieces of clever set design and working with junk on a shoe-string budget... the acting, not so much. Haha.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I don't think we will ever see any of the space combat games remade.

Quote: Originally Posted by Artenuis View Post
On an airplane?
...and here was me thinking it was some complex pop-culture reference that I had missed. Overthinking it. Thanks gents.

post #115 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
I frequently think CGI-heavy films have no "soul". The originals were masterpieces of clever set design and working with junk on a shoe-string budget... the acting, not so much. Haha.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I don't think we will ever see any of the space combat games remade.

...and here was me thinking it was some complex pop-culture reference that I had missed. Overthinking it. Thanks gents.
i definitely agree with that. I remember being quite disheartened by the CGI revolution as a kid. I felt like I could see thru Jar Jar Binx, n that was just weird. At the same time, they've been able to build much more visually stunning worlds. It's just rare they tell as good a story around it. Maybe seeing green-screen filming as a kid is part of the reason it never caught on for me. Seeing grown ass people in giant rooms of green, wearing green, waving their arms around like "LIGHTNING BOLT!" kid = lame. err mrr grrd, even muscles are rendered in via the latex suits now (though some actors still hold true to being action stars by staying ripped, etc)

still, to this day, seeing the real hand made models awwws me more than seeing Jar Jar's textures getting updated every 5-10 years.

post #116 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
still, to this day, seeing the real hand made models awwws me more than seeing Jar Jar's textures getting updated every 5-10 years.
Very much agreed. Practical effects are severely underappreciated, it feels like.
post #117 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM

like, we went to see Episode IV in concert the other day, & they used a recent blue ray version where the cantina band is 99% CGI, with some weird big lips monster that looks like Mike's wife from Monster's inc. I DO NOT REMEMBER THIS SCENE PLAYING OUT LIKE THIS AS A CHILD. SOMEONE PLEASE HOLD ME. I'M SCARED.

post #118 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Yeah but have you guys seen the Mandalorian on a 4k TV? I love the old effects from say the original Predator, Aliens and even Robo Cop. If you look at modern robots, they move much more like Robo Cop then any CGI robot.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ chinese Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 3700x 4.25 ghz, 15$ chinese waterblock, same tote 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.
post #119 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 201)
like, we went to see Episode IV in concert the other day, & they used a recent blue ray version where the cantina band is 99% CGI, with some weird big lips monster that looks like Mike's wife from Monster's inc. I DO NOT REMEMBER THIS SCENE PLAYING OUT LIKE THIS AS A CHILD. SOMEONE PLEASE HOLD ME. I'M SCARED.
I was lucky; shortly after Ep 1 came out, they released the "Special Editions" on individual DVDs in the UK with the original theatrical releases as bonus DVDs. They cost quite a bit at the time, but I decided I was going to have them for the DVD copies of the original releases. Han shot first, dangit!

Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
Yeah but have you guys seen the Mandalorian on a 4k TV? I love the old effects from say the original Predator, Aliens and even Robo Cop. If you look at modern robots, they move much more like Robo Cop then any CGI robot.
I seem to remember something about the actor playing Robocop working with engineers to figure out how to move like a "humanoid" robot would with gears, servos etc... but it was in the commentary on the DVD IIRC, which I don't have access to now to check.

post #120 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Mando doesn't use the same technology the movies use for CGI. In fact, Mando set a new standard on how its done. (giant ultra super HD 12K TVs instead of green screens or something?)

what i mean to say is, I think mando's set value is drastically better than the movies. Like, in the movies most droids would be 99.99% rendered, whereas its like 50/50 in mando.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in