[TechSpot] Nvidia DLSS in 2020: Stunning Results - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Nvidia DLSS in 2020: Stunning Results

post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 343 (Unique: 284)
Interesting. And scary, from a market competition stand point. This is the first nvidia exclusive feature that has a real chance of making all AMD hardware seem obsolete. How can you compete with better visuals at no loss of performance on any skew?

Still, this is a marketing demo. I want to see DLSS in more games with side-by-side comparisons, and by independent reviewers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:32 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 677 (Unique: 360)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I hate how the game looks. Even without DXR and DLSS. I play at 4K (55") at a close distance which really emphasizes all the rendering tricks and different filters. DLSS vs Native in this game was hard to spot because the base game looked bad, to begin with.
finally someone that agrees with me. even at 4k, the game is a blurred mess.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 188 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
Interesting. And scary, from a market competition stand point. This is the first nvidia exclusive feature that has a real chance of making all AMD hardware seem obsolete. How can you compete with better visuals at no loss of performance on any skew?

Still, this is a marketing demo. I want to see DLSS in more games with side-by-side comparisons, and by independent reviewers.
By competing of course, AMD already said they have been testing DirectML since January of 2019. I won't be shocked if the next Xbox is utilizing DirectML. Not saying it's going to be easy to compete with nVidia who had their foot in the door since Fermi. While AMD just got into ML with Vega in 2016.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...th-windows-ml/

Quote:
Neural Networks Will Revolutionize Gaming

Earlier this month, Microsoft announced the availability of Windows Machine Learning. We mentioned the wide-ranging applications of WinML on areas as diverse as security, productivity, and the internet of things. We even showed how WinML can be used to help cameras detect faulty chips during hardware production.

But what does WinML mean for gamers? Gaming has always utilized and pushed adoption of bleeding edge technologies to create more beautiful and magical worlds. With innovations like WinML, which extensively use the GPU, it only makes sense to leverage that technology for gaming. We are ready to use this new technology to empower game developers to use machine learning to build the next generation of games.
I was impressed with AMD's Media Filters utilizing DirectML in 19.12.2: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-036

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 02-27-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 AM
waifu for lifu

Rep: 327 (Unique: 245)
Is it a big article? Work block linkie.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
LEOPOLD FC980M / MAXKEY SA CHOCOLATE KEYSET
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 52)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I hate how the game looks. Even without DXR and DLSS. I play at 4K (55") at a close distance which really emphasizes all the rendering tricks and different filters. DLSS vs Native in this game was hard to spot because the base game looked bad, to begin with.
Maybe youre AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is the problem

CPU24/7) 7980xe - 7900xMOBO: ASUS Rampage Apex x299 / Asrock Taichi x299RAM: 4x 3600c15 / 4x4266c19/ 4x4000 c17 GPU: 2x MSI tri X 2080ti / 1060tiSTORAGE: Areca 1883i HDD R6 + Samsung 850PROs R0 - 3x SM961 nvme 1TB - 3x Intel Optane 900p 480GBCASE: LD cooling V8 R/B / ld cooling reverse R/BMonitor: Acer x34 /Asus 27 AQ 4k g-sync / Asrock x570 Taichi / 3900x
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
really! i thought control was the best looking game i've ever played
Some graphical aspects of Control are elite and others are mediocre. I wish they included sliders that increased the rays and bounces to absurd limits a la Crysis in 2008. Then we could at least see what high fidelity ray traced reflections look like and drool at being able to run it smoothly (like Crysis in 2008.)

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 86)
Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post

Right now it still depends on developer adoption. AMD has a few years yet to create their response.

DLSS also automatically comes with the added baggage of RTX. If we see DLSS in a top of the line GTX card? That would have no competition.
For now RTX is probably enough of an anchor to keep the competition close.

It'll be quite a while before developers are anywhere near to universally adopting DLSS, AMD has some time, and there are still downsides to DLSS.
AI still can't make things appear that haven't been hit by the raster engine, as is currently the case, DLSS will always work better the higher your Native Resolution. If we were talking about 8K DLSS instead of 4K then the results of DLSS would be much closer to the native image.

For now if I were to use DLSS I would just use it to Anti Alias a native 4K image with the DLSS 2X setting (that has yet to be implemented in any games). 4K120hz is ideal for now but Native 4K is still full of jaggies and whatnot that would be nice to have filtered away.
I just want good AA on top of that at little to no cost.

I'll also have to see how bad the DLSS input lag penalty is. I know TAA is generally pretty "yuck" but if people keep working on it you never know how good it can get.

It seems like the silicon area cost of DLSS vs the performance benefit is very good, so it looks likely that this will be "The" Anti Aliasing method of the future, we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes to really push adoption.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 01:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 174 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
so it looks likely that this will be "The" Anti Aliasing method of the future, we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes to really push adoption.
The only problem with that is that AA itself is on it's last legs since the need for AA goes down as resolution increases. For me at least at 4k I see either little to no improvement or a decrease in quality with the image getting fuzzier.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 05:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
The only problem with that is that AA itself is on it's last legs since the need for AA goes down as resolution increases. For me at least at 4k I see either little to no improvement or a decrease in quality with the image getting fuzzier.
I dont know? I've found anti aliasing to be somewhat effective even at 4K especially MSAA

CPU
(4 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
RTX 2080Ti
RAM
16GB DDR4
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1803 (Unique: 1177)
Quote: Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
Maybe youre AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is the problem
I got RTX 2080 Ti for DXR and sold it because it was just a tech Demo. I envy people that have fast GPUs and dont run 4K.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in