[TechSpot] Valorant's anti-cheat software loads kernel-based driver on system boot - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Valorant's anti-cheat software loads kernel-based driver on system boot

post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 06:58 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
why must everything be so binary?

the majority of admins & cheaters are young adults/children. So yes, they get equal amounts of "get off my damn lawn" action.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:03 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
This isn't the young adult/child thing.
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 78 (Unique: 46)
Idk what you guys think about it in theory
But in practical terms, as player ~ it was a horrible implementation
Not only did the game extract every launch itself with dozzens of micro files working at around 1.9-2mb/s max for 9GB in size
Taking each launch a loong time to even start up

What is bad already, is their Vanguard Rootkit installs 2 more HID drivers up to brand
Mess up your sensitivity on the mouse, and well the worst - my OS did take at least 5min to boot , if not more
Abrupt restarting disabled it, while i couldn't launch the game "without a complete load of their module" even when it was set to manual start by default
Uninstalling it changed boottime back to around 32-35sec
5 min are clearly noticeable, soo even as someone who looked forward to it ~ i uninstalled that thing

Maaybe in the future could try how their Anti-Cheat behaves under Linux or a virtual environment
But this was the worst one i've had to use, in at least 10 years
That was under an SSHD system, where no amount of restarts made a difference

I think it actually is unpacking their stuff mid boot-process
Which would explain the "at least 5 min taken for boot-up" delay, while being every unique generated
No idea what exactly it unpacks, but performance with it was utter g*rbage which affected also other games while having it installed, causing strange tearing

The game on it's own was fun, the voice engine is fine too
But this anti-cheat g*rbage, sorry nope rather would just make a VM only for this game
Instead of having such huge boot delays

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo

Last edited by Veii; 04-18-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 442 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by Veii View Post
Idk what you guys think about it in theory
But in practical terms, as player ~ it was a horrible implementation
Not only did the game extract every launch itself with dozzens of micro files working at around 1.9-2mb/s max for 9GB in size
Taking each launch a loong time to even start up

What is bad already, is their Vanguard Rootkit installs 2 more HID drivers up to brand
Mess up your sensitivity on the mouse, and well the worst - my OS did take at least 5min to boot , if not more
Abrupt restarting disabled it, while i couldn't launch the game "without a complete load or their module" even when it was set to manual start by default
Uninstalling it changed boottime back to around 32-35sec
5 min are clearly noticeable, soo even as someone who looked forward to it ~ i uninstalled that thing

Maaybe in the future could try how their Anti-Cheat behaves under Linux or a virtual environment
But this was the worst one i've had to use, in at least 10 years
That was under an SSHD system, where no amount of restarts made a difference

I think it actually is unpacking their stuff mid boot-process
Which would explain the "at least 5 min taken for boot-up" delay, while being every unique generated
No idea what exactly it unpacks, but performance with it was utter g*rbage which affected also other games while having it installed, causing strange tearing

The game on it's own was fun, the voice engine is fine too
But this anti-cheat g*rbage, sorry nope rather would just make a VM only for this game
Instead of having such huge boot delays
Thank you for the heads up.

I wonder how this affects a NVME boot drive?
I think I'll skip this game.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 01:54 AM
Politically incorrect

Rep: 629 (Unique: 307)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
people keep saying this but China's control over its population and mostly uncontested surveillance methods is what other countries want to get
The Chinese are amateurs compared with what the Five Eyes Tyrannies have been doing to the world for the past decades or did you think the NSA built the worlds largest datacentre in Utah for the lolz?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 05:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post
I just don't understand what cheaters gain, like your wasting your life on a game that means nothing anyway. I just wish i understood their motives lol.
A lot of the time they refuse to accept that they might be bad, or at least that their might be a point that they can't improve beyond. They perceive other players to already be cheating and use that to justify cheating themselves.

At the other end of the scale a lot of the developers got into it because of an interest in reverse engineering software.

post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
I was an exceptional FPS player 10 years ago when i was still a teenager, today i'm still good, but i've definitely dropped off. I've cheated before, but not excessively as it doesn't really net you the same satisfaction as actually earning your kills through real skill. What led me to cheat in the first place and I'm sure others could relate to is facing someone else who was cheating and not wanting to be on an unequal playing field so you cheat too. I've stepped away from playing most FPS games super competitively at this point because those games where you do spot cheaters are really frustrating to deal with knowing you're getting robbed out of a victory that you deserved. What's even worse is when you call them out on it and your team doesn't believe it because they're too ignorant to understand how sophisticated cheats are nowadays where its really difficult to spot.

Yesterday i had a game in Overwatch where i knew for sure one of the dps on the other team was cheating and all the red flags were there, new low level account, private profile etc. The other dps was also playing really well for a 3500 rated game but it was a 500+ level account so i spent 20 minutes analyzing the replay footage afterwards to confirm or deny my suspicions and i eventually came to the conclusion the guy was cheating. It was extremely difficult to spot the bot for the second guy, but there are some key moments when there are two enemies close together where you can see the bot behave badly as it doesn't know which target to flick to. The guy ended up getting a scoped crit card on ashe for 65%. Just for reference, the best ashe players hover around 50-55% scoped accuracy with crits at 18% meaning 1 out of every 3 shots is roughly a crit. At 65% scoped crit 2 out of every 3 shots was a damn headshot. This is totally possible if you're a grandmaster playing against bronze, but this was a 3500 game where people actually dodge and know how to play.

post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 AM
mfw

Rep: 503 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post
I was an exceptional FPS player 10 years ago when i was still a teenager, today i'm still good, but i've definitely dropped off. I've cheated before, but not excessively as it doesn't really net you the same satisfaction as actually earning your kills through real skill. What led me to cheat in the first place and I'm sure others could relate to is facing someone else who was cheating and not wanting to be on an unequal playing field so you cheat too.
That is a really bad excuse to have cheated. If you did it at all, regardless, you're in the wrong, period.

I have never cheated, and I never will. And if online games got so bad with the cheater population that I had to get on board with the stuff just to be able to enjoy myself, I'd more quickly quit the hobby altogether and find something else.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 04:28 AM
waifu for lifu

Rep: 328 (Unique: 246)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Riot who?

The game sounds like a Counter-Overwatch with the graphics of TF.

Sounds about right. If anything, they light a fire under Blizz/Valve to up their game. I heard there'll be an overhual regarding the source engine and CS will see some reboot this summer? Coincidence? Cheaters already found in the beta. I guess punishment will be harsher? F2P seems to bring out all the baddies:

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
ACER NITRO
Keyboard
LEOPOLD FC980M / MAXKEY SA CHOCOLATE KEYSET
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 02:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
One of the selling points of this game is that is going to fee a "cheat-less" experience. There is only one way of doing that and is with a ring0 anticheat, period. Organizations running competitive tournments/matchmaking have been doing this for years, so before saying that riot is doing this because the chinese goverment wants to spy, understand that the only way to effectible stop cheating is with ring 0 access.

That being said, giving that level of access to your computer to a company, specially one like Riot/Tencent, is probably not a wise idea. And while the Chinese goverment will very likely try to use this to their advantage at some point, the need for ring0 access is not a conspiracy, is needed. Up to you if you want to grant them that level or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in