[Flight Simulator 2020] Recommended Specs Revealed - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Flight Simulator 2020] Recommended Specs Revealed

post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
The MS seem to be claiming the terabytes of data needed to cover the entire planet make a completely offline full version impractical.

My understanding is there will be two modes for off line play. For your local area or somewhere you fly a lot they are proposing you can cache the necessary files for offline play later. If caching is not possible there will also be a restricted offline mode with very limited graphics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:00 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 150 (Unique: 98)
Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
The MS seem to be claiming the terabytes of data needed to cover the entire planet make a completely offline full version impractical.

My understanding is there will be two modes for off line play. For your local area or somewhere you fly a lot they are proposing you can cache the necessary files for offline play later. If caching is not possible there will also be a restricted offline mode with very limited graphics.
As detailed as it is I wouldn't have cause for suspension. It also seems that the bandwidth is tied into the graphics. I've been looking for a detail menu option for Graphics but haven't come across it yet.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I can't wait. Even though my current PC can handle most new games today at medium graphics, I want to be able to crank my graphics settings again. I'll wait and see what Intel XE, Big Navi, Ampere, Ryzen 4000 bring to the table...

New Build 2015
(16 items)
CPU
4790k @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Hero
GPU
MSI 970 Twin Frozr V
GPU
MSI 970 Twin Frozr V
RAM
G.Skill 2x8GB 2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 250GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD 1TB Blue
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
Cooling
Noctua D15
Cooling
2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Intake
Cooling
2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Exhaust
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Operating System
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Keyboard
Ducky DK2108SZ
Mouse
Logitech G400s
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
I believe if you wanted to do a full download so you could fly anywhere offline you are talking about more than 2 Petabytes of data (or 2000 TB and currently a "large" hard disk is in the 10 to 15 Tb range).
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
I believe if you wanted to do a full download so you could fly anywhere offline you are talking about more than 2 Petabytes of data (or 2000 TB and currently a "large" hard disk is in the 10 to 15 Tb range).
I really wonder if they let you choose level of detail for the cacheing mechanism.

Just because "Maximum Quality" is 2Pb doesn't mean "High Quality" is anywhere close to that storage requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the next step down in detail uses an order of magnitude less space, at which point various continents and highlight areas could fit on a home server.

If they could make a pre-set LOD system to only peak at airports and points of interest it would probably be fairly popular.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
hmm... i wonder how quickly people will figure out some sorta offline multiplayer.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 11:29 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 150 (Unique: 98)
If the online bandwidth is tied into IQ they wouldn't get very far playing the game in offline mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in