[Epic Games] A first look at Unreal Engine 5 - Page 24 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Epic Games] A first look at Unreal Engine 5

post #231 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 AM
News Junkie

Rep: 300 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
Ah! What's the point then? The promise was 4K gaming this gen.
4k 10 fps is probably doable, so they didn't lie.

All AMD PC
(9 items)
CPU
AMD 3600X - stock
Motherboard
Asrock B450 Micro ATX Fatality
GPU
5700xt Anniversary Edition 2150/900
RAM
Corsair 3200mhz 16gb @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
1tb m.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair SFX 750
Case
Fractal Design Node 202
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Sony 55"
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 36)
The reality is until we see how gam a actually perform it’s all marketing hype.

Sure the new SSD may be a game changer or more likely So y will come out and say it’s up to the developers to enable the “advantages”

Specs are nice and all but until we see an actual game, they are just numbers.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #233 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:13 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I already explained this in an earlier post about how the storage is now so fast that they can essentially bypass the ram and making the storage so much faster is the only way they were going to keep up with the same kinds of memory increases we got going from ps2 to ps3 and then to ps4.
Oh I know that. I have not read all the posts in this thread, and I'm not going to. If you want me to read it, please link it.

I'm just going to say this... People are mainly focusing only on SSDs right now, and forget that the consoles are a whole package. The whole angle of the SSD advantage for the PS5 assumes that the SSD on the PS5 is perfectly balanced with its CPU and GPU, while the XSX SSD is underpowered compared to the rest of the system. But in reality, we do not know that yet.

It is quite possible that the SSD on the PS5 can provide more data than its GPU can handle. In that case, the SSD is overpowered and we won't see graphical advantages on the PS5. It will still ease development, because efficient data transfer will not be required, but that would be it.
It is quite possible on the XSX that its GPU is overpowered compared to the data its SSD can deliver. In this case, the PS5 could produce more detailed textures in the final image, but the XSX will still have an advantage in other graphical processing due to its stronger GPU. You could possibly off-set that difference with some other method.
It is also equally possible that the SSD on the XSX is fast enough to feed what its GPU can handle. In that case, despite the SSD advantage of the PS5, the XSX will simply have the image quality advantage all-around.

All this with depend on a bunch of things. It might vary from game to game, engine to engine, developer to developer. We simply don't know yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 32)
The SSD will only help in certain types of computations. What it will really excel at is loading highly detailed textures with fine granularity faster. This is what we saw on the epic showcase. The rocks had fine detail and zooming in and out is easier. But for dynamic effects like fire, shadows, physics and RT effects the SSD will not be useful at all. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I am also trying to understand this.

CPU
(4 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
RTX 2080Ti
RAM
16GB DDR4
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #235 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 54 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
Oh I know that. I have not read all the posts in this thread, and I'm not going to. If you want me to read it, please link it.

I'm just going to say this... People are mainly focusing only on SSDs right now, and forget that the consoles are a whole package. The whole angle of the SSD advantage for the PS5 assumes that the SSD on the PS5 is perfectly balanced with its CPU and GPU, while the XSX SSD is underpowered compared to the rest of the system. But in reality, we do not know that yet.

It is quite possible that the SSD on the PS5 can provide more data than its GPU can handle. In that case, the SSD is overpowered and we won't see graphical advantages on the PS5. It will still ease development, because efficient data transfer will not be required, but that would be it.
It is quite possible on the XSX that its GPU is overpowered compared to the data its SSD can deliver. In this case, the PS5 could produce more detailed textures in the final image, but the XSX will still have an advantage in other graphical processing due to its stronger GPU. You could possibly off-set that difference with some other method.
It is also equally possible that the SSD on the XSX is fast enough to feed what its GPU can handle. In that case, despite the SSD advantage of the PS5, the XSX will simply have the image quality advantage all-around.

All this with depend on a bunch of things. It might vary from game to game, engine to engine, developer to developer. We simply don't know yet.
Oh, tldr. (More like just don't care).

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #236 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 08:31 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by Juub View Post
Because console manufacturers who are all salesmen by default have never tried to overstate the importance of their new features?
Nice speculation and all but in no way does it answer my question. How do you know 5.5GB/s vs 2.4GB/s will "matter a lot"?
you gotta zoom out a bit.

stick a spinny into your PC & see how modern stuff runs @ 4K.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #237 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
From what I can remember on the gameawards interview, it felt kinda weird the 3 UE guys kept saying "Playstation 5" instead of PS5. maybe they're getting paid with every mention of it. Just getting a little paranoid like that old Xbox shills/machinima scandal.

Watched Dark Sorceror again and it doesn't seem to me that the Pro achieved that and the closest comparison I can think of is Death Stranding near the ending part with Die Hard man scene: two good looking talking characters with barely anything on the blurred background. Even then, afaik from some old comment about graphics, rendering of dark skin like that of an African descent is easier to make look realistic, might have something to do with less subsurface scattering?

God of War seems pretty close or similar to the Elemental Demo with particles and with actual gameplay (Muspelheim; fire ; most of the outer world; icy).

For "true" next gen base design and finally cutting of current gen, most devs would probably target the lowest common denominator hardware from both consoles with target resolutions in mind if you throw in a rumored cheap MS Series S:

CPU + GPU: PS5 target (effectively 25-30% less performance than Series X?)
Storage: Xbox (40-50% slower storage)

I'm really interested in only MS and Sony exclusives to show off hardware.

I do wonder if the Series will hold back MS' base design for their games though but I'd like to think positive that the X is still where the base design is and the S will just scale it down like how base gameplay of current gen can easily scale back to very low performing handheld pcs. I even saw an theoretical Uncharted 4 at ultra low settings and the base gameplay is still intact which kinda contradicts my earlier statements.
post #238 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
The SSD will only help in certain types of computations. What it will really excel at is loading highly detailed textures with fine granularity faster. This is what we saw on the epic showcase. The rocks had fine detail and zooming in and out is easier. But for dynamic effects like fire, shadows, physics and RT effects the SSD will not be useful at all. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I am also trying to understand this.
Same. From what I can understand the SSD is mostly for streaming but it's still an extra canvas for the devs. What type of gameplay focus would really benefit from that speed? I'm not sure but Sony I think mentioned Spiderman and old corridors in games. If you have fast storage you can technically remove some artificial designs like having to put more walls or bldgs to hide things or limit traversal speed while having really good visuals.

Don't these things degrade too? I wonder if the real targets are significantly lower for game design.
post #239 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 03:12 PM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Oh, tldr. (More like just don't care).
Uhuh... Of course. It's inconvenient for you to care.
post #240 of 240 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 54 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
Uhuh... Of course. It's inconvenient for you to care.
If you don't want to take the time to go back one one two pages so I don't have to repeat myself, I'm not going to take the time to read or reply to your comments.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in