[Kotaku] Microsoft closing Mixer, moving content to Facebook Gaming - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Kotaku] Microsoft closing Mixer, moving content to Facebook Gaming

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 88)
With the number of views Facebook Gaming already gets the new streaming platform should instantly gain 3x more followers than what Mixer could manage and actually stand a chance of becoming competitive with Youtube (game streaming).

I can't say Facebook is the kind of option I would use, but more options are still better than less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Raytracing <3

Rep: 0
It's a good thing it brought advertizing. Getting video games bigger is awesome. Many years ago when eSports was only a thing in South Korea with televised Starcraft, it's cool that in the U.S. it's becoming a real thing. Overwatch is a great first step forward. Besides being an awesome game in and of itself, having football team owners and other "big" people owning Overwatch teams brought eSports to the spotlight. Having eSports on ESPN where "real" sports exist and covered on every major news source (forbes, cnn, actual news stations, etc etc).

I understand how some people feel though, I get it. Some think that video games should never extend beyond the youtube stage. Make your montages or your lets plays, and have a nice day.

Walking into a sports bar one day where they were live streaming on all the TV's, the Starcraft 2 GSL finals... that was incredible.

Misinformation should be a thing of the past. This is the age of information. You are obligated to accept facts and do proper research which is readily available to all. Become better, humanity.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 06:00 PM
r/wallstreetbets degen

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
"E-sports" was already big in NA during the early 2000's with CPL, though the real money wasn't in CS, it never was. It's just become a little too mainstream now. Bertrand Grospellier (doubt anyone here has heard of him) made a name for himself as one of the few foreigners that moved to South Korea and succeeded in making a name for himself at Starcraft: Brood War.

Enthoo Evolv TG :: Maximus X Hero :: i7-8700K :: H115i PRO RGB :: Trident Z RGB 32GB :: AORUS GTX 1080 Ti :: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB :: Dell AW3418DW :: Sennheiser HD800S :: RME-ADI 2 FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
Never excepted such hatred for the streaming community on here.

Streaming has allowed my gaming experience to bring a new social aspect too it as well I have met some life long friends from around the globe, and even got the chance to meet some In the real world.
I never understood why you would want to watch someone play a game. I remember at the Mall kiosk waiting for my turn when I was a young kid and it sucked... same for games back in the day where I would play a level and pass it off to my friend if I cleared it or died etc etc.
I was a only child so I never had a older sibling where I watched them play, my selfishness couldn't care and didn't care to watch and wanted to play my own save anyways.

So yeah I never understood when Justin.TV became twitch and why anyone cared to watch someone else play a video games. Pew's rise to fame really blew my mind.. same for Markplier, jackwathever and everyone else for that matter.

post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 AM
mfw

Rep: 514 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
I never understood why you would want to watch someone play a game.
Why watch professional football on TV when you can just go play it yourself with your friends?

And why watch talk shows when you can just go have a chat with your friends?

Whether a streamer is exceptionally skilled or very entertaining (or even both!), people enjoy watching. It has nothing to do with your turn to play.

I haven't played fighting games in a very long time, but I watch SonicFox all the time because it's just fun to look at that level of skill. I also enjoy watching Albralelie play Apex Legends because he's better than I at a game I frequently play.

I'm not going to have fun watching some random dude playing Apex Legends if he's average or not engaging in any way. And you seem to be conflating everyone.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Why watch professional football on TV when you can just go play it yourself with your friends?

And why watch talk shows when you can just go have a chat with your friends?

Whether a streamer is exceptionally skilled or very entertaining (or even both!), people enjoy watching. It has nothing to do with your turn to play.

I haven't played fighting games in a very long time, but I watch SonicFox all the time because it's just fun to look at that level of skill. I also enjoy watching Albralelie play Apex Legends because he's better than I at a game I frequently play.

I'm not going to have fun watching some random dude playing Apex Legends if he's average or not engaging in any way. And you seem to be conflating everyone.
This argument.

I rather do, vs watch.

EDIT: I also realize the difference in watching a "Pro" vs a normal person. However vast majority of streamers are normies, and no its not enjoyable watching a "pro" smash pubs. Its boring.
Tournaments? Sure.

Last edited by Rei86; 06-29-2020 at 08:38 AM.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 11:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Are you equating racism to the myriad vicissitudes of life?
When you use obscure words for their obscurity rather than their application.

Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
It's not an uncommon thing, "life is tough for everyone" ... what a crock of...
Is it? There's no empirical scale for suffering, which is a predominantly subjective topic to begin with. Money can no more fill the emptiness in a man's heart than the anger of an ignorant man be assuaged if he's unwilling to learn. None of us can change the world if we don't change our own situations first.

Quote: Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
Oh how I will miss all the multi dyed hair opinionated brats on Mixer! All those in the partner system were given partner at Facebook and they all banded together and told Facebook to shove it because feelings. The Zoomer generation is even more entitled than the Millennial generation, the last 20 years have been cringe with the adoption of social media and kids on the internet.
I suppose anything is better than the cam service that is Twitch, but FB is still a mediocre company. I'm not aware of any stream platforms that are game-centric and don't try to dabble in the political sphere also. It's rather funny to be honest because that's what would probably do the best from a monetary standpoint. Most people in most walks of life just want to be left alone to do what they enjoy. I don't know, it seems the only way to do that is to stop interacting with people publicly. It's not like any of these sites allow you to have decent conversations about anything above the most trivial anyway; provided you can find people to have such exchanges with in the first place. Too much coddling to compel anyone to really grow up and mature their perspectives.

Is there a big market for streaming beyond the "pro-gamer" stuff? I know that a lot of people watch, but does that actually translate to product sales?

I've wondered this for some time now. Obviously my experience is anecdotal but I've never really bothered buying things I see on adverts. I have the products I like and stick to those unless they change quality or function, in which case I ask what my friends or neighbors may be using and the vast majority of people I know operate much the same.

Even back when I saw ads, they only ever suggested something I wanted after I bought it.

"I know enough to know I don't know enough"

"If you truly didn't care then why do you insist on carrying on as if you do?"

It's cute when someone glances at a topic title and then posts without reading anything else. I don't even have to respond to make you look like a fool. Your post does that for me. - DaLagga, steam forum
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 734 (Unique: 386)
or he's a Barry Harris fan...

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 01:01 PM
mfw

Rep: 514 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by SpecTRe-X View Post
When you use obscure words for their obscurity rather than their application.
Are they obscure to you? I apologize for having an extensive lexicon. Here, I'll rephrase the question in a manner even you can understand.

Are you saying racism is something one should just tolerate as one of the many natural, uncontrollable hardships of life?

Let's see what other excuse you'll use next to avoid addressing my very obvious question.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpecTRe-X View Post
Is it? There's no empirical scale for suffering, which is a predominantly subjective topic to begin with. Money can no more fill the emptiness in a man's heart than the anger of an ignorant man be assuaged if he's unwilling to learn. None of us can change the world if we don't change our own situations first.
Ah!, yes, the old "pull yourself up by your bootstraps."

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 06-29-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 455 (Unique: 316)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
like I said. Identinarianism needs to go die in a fire. that includes any group that bases their existence based on their racial identity.

idk what stormfront is, brings storm troopers to mind ... must be klan shart.

(btw - I have two great uncles still alive, both with IBM tattoos ) I grew up with the same kinda stories too. I just don't attempt to eclipse them as part of my own experience.

institutionalized classism replaced institutionalized racism, that doesn't mean the policy level racism doesn't still exist (i've done years in a cage, i've seen things too) it just means its evolved into an even more inclusive hate driven profit engine. This is what must be understood for any progress to be had... I suppose staying in the ghettos is fine if the police just stop being dicks, riiight? no, not right.
It's kind of funny how you talked about 'self victimization' being the new racism, and that guy flips his marbles and blocks you, and that's the exact thing you were referring to.
Self victimization. Him using his bad experiences to make himself look entitled--in other words--a victim, thus thinking he's somehow entitled to special treatment. "OMG I got hurt by some bad white dudes, better show me respect or sympathy, or get blocked!"

(And before anyone accuses ME of being a racist--I'm black).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in