[BBC] Loot boxes: Lords call for 'immediate' gambling regulation - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[BBC] Loot boxes: Lords call for 'immediate' gambling regulation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Malinkadink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,114
Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I would say both. It is a pretty concerning game feature in many instances that is basically a money printing machine for the publishers. They encourage people to pay real money for randomized digital assets. At least in a casino, if you win the casino loses something so they have some liability. With online loot boxes that isn't the case and I think there are serious legal issues with that. Online gaming has become a way to bypass many types of gambling regulations in a way. EA figured out it can take advantage of this gap in regulations and now EA operates like a casino in many regards except with much less on the line while still having basically all the negative aspects intact.
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Wanting to regulate loot boxes over the concern of young people is okay. But, not because it's something you don't like. We just can't go banning things just because we don't like them. No one is twisting your arm to buy the game or any loot boxes. If someone wants to piss away their money on stupid skins or whatever, that's on them.
I would say its a combination of both as well, gambling is a bad habit and kids are far more impressionable to where it can become a serious issue for them as adults. The other half is developers obviously need to make some incentive to get people to actually spend money on them, and the catch is usually well these skins look really good or cool and the only way to get them is through the loot box and they can't be earned by just playing the game. Now not all games are like this, some do let you eventually earn them with some currency system. Still they dont want you to earn these things easily so they put them behind a long deliberate grind, again to tempt you to just get loot boxes with $ and get it faster. Basically game design has shifted to accommodate loot boxes and so they structure the game in ways to make you more likely to buy the lootboxes. Without loot boxes that content would more than likely be earned in game and not require a tremendous grind to get.

I much prefer just being able to outright buy a cosmetic i may want instead of trying to get it through lootboxes, and i'm okay with seeing these monetization systems in F2P or in the case of GW2 that has running costs and being a B2P game with a storefront. What i don't like is a game demanding $60, and then locking all the good stuff behind lootboxes.

Malinkadink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2,353
Rep: 59 (Unique: 53)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Wanting to regulate loot boxes over the concern of young people is okay. But, not because it's something you don't like. We just can't go banning things just because we don't like them. No one is twisting your arm to buy the game or any loot boxes. If someone wants to piss away their money on stupid skins or whatever, that's on them.
I'm saying personally, I don't like it. On top of that, I think the loot box business model would be regulated if it were something that played out in the real world because it would be some form of gambling and therefore it should be regulated based on that, not just because I don't like it or not really at all for that reason but because I don't like it I will be they much happier when it gets regulated properly and game publishers stop trying to turn their games into some kind of addiction that requires constantly spending money.

Not liking it and wanting it to be regulated for legal reasons are not mutually exclusive. I don't like it because it's a shady business that targets people with low impulse control in the same way gambling does but without any of the legal oversight.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
UltraMega is offline  
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,521
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Do you want loot boxes regulated because you're concerned about young people? Or, do want loot boxes regulated because it's a game feature you don't like?



Be honest.
both, I think it can absolutely affect the psyche of a child. We already see them act like drug addicts when you attempt to take the tablet away. why compound that with a mixed in gambling addiction that'll wreck them later in life just as drug or booze dependence would. it affects adults in much the same way, we just have BETTER FORMED JUDGEMENT MAKING brain matter at 35 than someone at 8-early 20s.

they also provide zero benefit to the community, only the individual, at the expense of the community. Cash grab at the expense of community quality = bad.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Laptop Enthusiast
 
Imglidinhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9,221
Rep: 448 (Unique: 334)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
Do you have kids? Kinda sounds like you don't. You can't control everything they do and not every kid is the same. The best parents in the world could have one kid that doesn't live by their rules. Just look around, talk to some parents, and it's very easy to see not all actions are dictated by parents.

You don't need to have children to know what's bad for them. Your point of view strikes me as someone who doesn't understand how easy it is to restrict your kids in the programs that they play and the content that they see online. The issue is that it's usually a matter of all-or-nothing and if you set parental controls to anything that restricts one or more items, if a website has one tiny shred of something in that category listing, it doesn't censor that one thing, it blocks access to the page entirely.

It sucks, sure, but as the oldest of five siblings, I'd say there's plenty you can do if you want to keep kids away from things they shouldn't see or play with. Just have to deal with actually being a parent or, in my case, a good big brother.

SKYNET v4.0
(18 items)
SKYNET Mobile v3.0
(13 items)
Inspiring Greatness
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock B-450M Pro4
GPU
8GB GTX 1070
RAM
32GB G.Skill DDR4 @ 3200MHz CL16
Hard Drive
Sabrent 256GB NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
1TB WD Black NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
1TB WD Black HDD - External
Power Supply
650w Antec NeoECO
Cooling
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120
Case
Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
24" DELL S2419NX
Monitor
23.8" Dell SE2419Hx
Keyboard
RedDragon K556
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Audio
HyperX Cloud Revolver-S Headset
Audio
Bose Companion 2 Series III
CPU
i7-8750H @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Intel HM370
GPU
6GB GTX 1060
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
1TB Western Digital Black NVMe SSD
Power Supply
180w Power Adapter
Case
Tongfang GK5CN6Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
1920x1080 144hz IPS Display
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus
Mousepad
Xtrac Ripper
CPU
Intel Core i5-6300HQ
Motherboard
Dell Proprietary
GPU
4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
1TB HGST 7.2k HDD
Power Supply
130w PSU
Cooling
Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen
Keyboard
Dell
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless
Mouse
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad
▲ hide details ▲
Imglidinhere is offline  
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,780
Rep: 85 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
You don't need to have children to know what's bad for them. Your point of view strikes me as someone who doesn't understand how easy it is to restrict your kids in the programs that they play and the content that they see online. The issue is that it's usually a matter of all-or-nothing and if you set parental controls to anything that restricts one or more items, if a website has one tiny shred of something in that category listing, it doesn't censor that one thing, it blocks access to the page entirely.

It sucks, sure, but as the oldest of five siblings, I'd say there's plenty you can do if you want to keep kids away from things they shouldn't see or play with. Just have to deal with actually being a parent or, in my case, a good big brother.
Care to elaborate a bit more? You make it sound simple.
maltamonk is offline  
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 PM
Politically incorrect
 
Liranan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Soviet China... Oh wait..
Posts: 9,160
Rep: 633 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post
Care to elaborate a bit more? You make it sound simple.
Grand words are simple, action and experience are much harder. It's very easy for people without kids to be self righteous as they have no idea what they are talking about and only have a very favourable image of themselves but when you finally do have kids you finally realise that raising kids is very hard work and not what you had imagined.

My point is that you should ignore the posters above as they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
Liranan is offline  
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Assirra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,103
Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Do you want loot boxes regulated because you're concerned about young people? Or, do want loot boxes regulated because it's a game feature you don't like?



Be honest.
Both +another big reason.

Games designed around those.
You only have to look at the NBA game trailer to see how ingrained these "mechanics" truly are.
Sure you maybe "can" get things eventually but the developer will do everything to make sure those lootboxes are attractive as possible.
Assirra is offline  
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:21 AM
mfw
 
ToTheSun!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Terra
Posts: 8,466
Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Wanting to regulate loot boxes over the concern of young people is okay. But, not because it's something you don't like. We just can't go banning things just because we don't like them. No one is twisting your arm to buy the game or any loot boxes. If someone wants to piss away their money on stupid skins or whatever, that's on them.
Regulating gambling as gambling, because gambling is what gambling is, sounds like a good decision to me, regardless of intention.

But, after reading your post, you seem to be conflating "regulating" with "banning." They're not the same.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy White v2.0
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 07-03-2020 at 12:24 AM.
ToTheSun! is offline  
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:18 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW
 
Wishmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Luxembourg Ville
Posts: 9,315
Rep: 362 (Unique: 282)
Loot boxes and gambling have been the death of this industry.

FLOOR STANDING SYSTEM: FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568 & REGA PLANAR 3 / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
DESKTOP AUDIO: DENON AHD-2000/5000 -MARK LAWTON & DENON AHD-9200 WITH PIZZA STACK / TOPPING A50 HiFi BALANCED HEADPHONE AMP & D50S HI-RES DAC & P50 REGULATED LINEAR PSU


Wishmaker is offline  
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:35 AM
Testing...
 
S.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virtual Machine
Posts: 3,243
Rep: 215 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
Wanting to regulate loot boxes over the concern of young people is okay. But, not because it's something you don't like. We just can't go banning things just because we don't like them. No one is twisting your arm to buy the game or any loot boxes. If someone wants to piss away their money on stupid skins or whatever, that's on them.
Yes we can, they are called initiatives. They are designed to do explicitly that.

Why are you defending loot boxes? They are quite literally UNREGULATED GAMBLING (illegal) and targeted at children.

FX-5500 — 6600GT — 5770 — R9 390 - Vega 64
WMO 1.1A — MX518 — MX1000 — Deathadder 3G — Sensei — GPro
Duron 1.6 — XP 2400+ — A64 3000+ DTR — E2180 — E8400 — Q6600 — 1100T — FX8150 — FX8350 — R7 1700 — R5 2600X


S.M. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off