[TechSpot] More publishers are reportedly considering a price hike on next-gen console games - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] More publishers are reportedly considering a price hike on next-gen console games

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 12:47 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
The cost of making new games is because they have been one-up each other.
Using stars to sale the games, using new technologies, PR cost more, development time takes longer.
But they are still selling and profiting, just not enough for shareholders to feel comfortable.
If a game used to cost 10M$ and brought in 40M$, now if a game cost 100M$, they need 400M$ income. And as people get smarter and stop paying for stupid "surprise mechanics", they need a new way to earn, so next stage will be increase game prices (which they already have with new "deluxe" or "extra deluxe" or "you are stupid for paying too much deluxe" packages).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Yeah greedy companies will continue to do what they do, but with the overall budget of games increasing for AAA titles it seems like, yeah, it's only expected that eventually the games will cost more. While sure, parents scoffed at getting console games back then for $50-60, we have had a roughly the same pricing structure for a very long time now. $10 additional seems fair.

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 84)
A lot of games spend more on marketing than they do even developing ie paying the employees who actually work on the creating. Perhaps they should look around where they can save on costs. Do they need massive marketing these days? I mean damn just hire someone to post some videos on youtube and write an article or two about the game. If its a new IP and people are interested word will spread and people will advertise the game for you for free. Why pay millions to run ads? The only reason to do so is if its proven that the money spent on marketing is actually being made up for by reaching a greater audience than they otherwise would.

I rarely buy anything at release anymore, i have an enormous backlog i can't keep up with and would rather work on that while waiting for newer titles to get old so i can buy the FULL game with "DLC" for $30 etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 362 (Unique: 282)
Quite a few people are hunting for bargains in order to meet the requirements on their 'santa list'.
Having a 70 EUR price tag on a game will make it even more difficult for some families to offer said games as presents.
Why stop at 70 EUR? Go higher because that CEO needs his 30 M EUR bonus at the end of the year whilst designers and programmers shall do with ' [insert company name Magic] when working 16 hours a day 7/7 for months at a time.

FLOOR STANDING SYSTEM: FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568 & REGA PLANAR 3 / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
DESKTOP AUDIO: DENON AHD-2000/5000 -MARK LAWTON & DENON AHD-9200 WITH PIZZA STACK / TOPPING A50 HiFi BALANCED HEADPHONE AMP & D50S HI-RES DAC & P50 REGULATED LINEAR PSU

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:26 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lexi is Dumb View Post
If you think they're gonna stop using mtx and predatory economies or go back to including content instead of slicing it up into season passes and DLC just because they raise the base price you haven't been paying enough attention.

Activision will continue firing people in record profit years, EA will keep finding new marketing terms for loot boxes and Ubisoft is gonna continue increasing the scale of their collecta-thon games just to sell you time savers.

You'll get more detailed blades of grass for this and despite that it will not change the practices of overworking or underpaying to get it. You will not get better content.

I was playing Deliver Us the Moon last night and in its short but compelling simplicity it struck me, the issue isn't that they don't charge enough to sustain these massive AAA games, the issue is that those games straight up don't need to be so big. They're unplayable and 70% of the side content is just minor distractions that wreck the pacing of the game and its story. Far too much time and money is focused on perfectionism for graphics and detail across massive scales all the while there's nothing actually worthwhile to do in these stupidly big landscapes. I don't want to spend 6 hours riding on a really beautiful horse for no real reason. Paying more won't make them better because they're deliberately designed in ways to extract as much money as possible for as long as possible from being garbage.

I just finished Plague Tale, short and sweet game that'll likely have three installments.

you're right, specially with ubisoft essentially making offline MMOs with no raid encounters. Ody is so bad because of that. 90% of that game is fetch/dailies. Such a massive giant waste of a huge world. We know they're capable of doing something else too, we saw it with the french revolution. Smaller map, MASSIVELY more detail in said map.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 07-06-2020 at 05:55 AM.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 AM
Untitled.jpg

Rep: 48 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
I just finished Plague Tale, short and sweet game that'll likely have three installments.

you're right, specially with ubisoft essentially making offline MMOs with no raid encounters. Ody is so bad because of that. 90% of that game is fetch/dailies. Such a massive giant waste of a huge world. We know they're capable of doing something else too, we saw it with the french revolution. Smaller map, MASSIVELY more detail in said map.
I absolutely loved plague tale and I wish there were more games like it. I'm sick of single player story based games being ruined by exactly what you've said, by being offline MMOs without half the depth.
Playing through all 3 tomb raider reboots made this really obvious recently as it gradually went from a reasonable amount of little distractions off to the side of the room in the first game to being given 34 survival caches, 28 relics and 42 documents to collect in one single area in shadow. This just isn't real content. I love finding little notes and documents in games and getting random bits of lore, but how can that be worthwhile if its so distracting to the story and takes you away from real gameplay for so long that it becomes jarring and boring to the point the lore is no longer interesting because you're sick of the game and its story. Idk maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy, or maybe I just don't like wasting my whole day on video games anymore.

I'm just going to go play Bioshock because at least that's still good.

There's coffee in that nebula.
Panthera
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Msi Gaming X Trio RTX 2080
RAM
16GB 3200CL14 G.skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair HX750 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
NZXT H700
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU G-sync 1440p165hz IPS
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 TKL w/ Cherry Reds
Mouse
Logitech G703 Hero
Mousepad
Glorious Extended
Audio
SoundBlaster X AE-5
Audio
Creative BT-W2 APTX Transceiver
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
Audio
Audio-Technica M50X-BT
Audio
Presonus Eris 3.5
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:49 AM
Laptop Enthusiast

Rep: 448 (Unique: 334)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/85869-...-next-gen.html

TBH, I would rather pay a little more for good games rather than have them be held back by dev costs or riddled with micro-transactions.

You insinuate that a higher price tag would actually make them "good". You also make it sound like taking longer to finish a game would also improve the quality... and in some cases you're not wrong. NMS comes to mind, or any of the apocalyptic failures we all know and hate.

I wouldn't pay $70 for a game unless it was to be my go-to game where I'd spend a couple hundred hours playing, if not longer. Heck, I've only bought a handful of games at the $40 price point and if I DO spend that much money on any game, I've done a ton of research before buying it. That's no small amount of money on one thing you cannot get a refund on.

SKYNET v4.0
(18 items)
SKYNET Mobile v3.0
(13 items)
Inspiring Greatness
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock B-450M Pro4
GPU
8GB GTX 1070
RAM
32GB G.Skill DDR4 @ 3200MHz CL16
Hard Drive
Sabrent 256GB NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
1TB WD Black NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
1TB WD Black HDD - External
Power Supply
650w Antec NeoECO
Cooling
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120
Case
Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
24" DELL S2419NX
Monitor
23.8" Dell SE2419Hx
Keyboard
RedDragon K556
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Audio
HyperX Cloud Revolver-S Headset
Audio
Bose Companion 2 Series III
CPU
i7-8750H @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Intel HM370
GPU
6GB GTX 1060
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
1TB Western Digital Black NVMe SSD
Power Supply
180w Power Adapter
Case
Tongfang GK5CN6Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
1920x1080 144hz IPS Display
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus
Mousepad
Xtrac Ripper
CPU
Intel Core i5-6300HQ
Motherboard
Dell Proprietary
GPU
4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
1TB HGST 7.2k HDD
Power Supply
130w PSU
Cooling
Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen
Keyboard
Dell
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless
Mouse
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I'm fine with this on these conditions:

1. Games quadruple in quality and length/re-playability.

2. Micro-transactions, season passes, lootboxes, and PAID dlc are ruled illegal and executives that pushed this in previous games are publicly executed (pay-per-view could really jump on this and make a ton of money) and their families made destitute.

3. Every game that sees a release must have a demo.

4. Publishers cannot treat developers like slaves like forcing them to work inhuman hours just to rush out a game in time for the holidays with only the amount of funding to buy a piece of gum. Violation of this is an automatic life sentence for executives.

5. Special editions, pre-order exclusives, and etc are illegal. Everyone pays the same price and everyone has access to the same content.

But none of this is going to happen anyway. Companies will double down on **** tactics, jack up prices, place in more pay walls forcing more people to give in to MTXs, and publisher's forms of gambling will go unpunished and unchallenged. So Instead, I will continue to ignore consoles, torrent everything, and if I do spend money it will be after a huge sale. Most AAA games are only worth $15. I've seen more indie devs only charging $30 for games that are honestly worth $100.

Besides my backlog of unfinished games is massive and im still content with playing doom wads and other classics.

Heatware: Nineball |

Main Rig: Lian Li Dynamic XL | [email protected] (1.26v) | EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 2080Ti 2160Mhz on stock BIOS | 16 G.Skill Trident RGB @ 4000MHZ | Asus Hero Max X | Heatkiller V CPU block, EKWB Full cover block, Aquacomputer D5 Next, 2x Alphacool nexos rads | Corsair AX1200i
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 07:20 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
Playing through all 3 tomb raider reboots made this really obvious recently as it gradually went from a reasonable amount of little distractions off to the side of the room in the first game to being given 34 survival caches, 28 relics and 42 documents to collect in one single area in shadow. This just isn't real content. I love finding little notes and documents in games and getting random bits of lore, but how can that be worthwhile if its so distracting to the story and takes you away from real gameplay for so long that it becomes jarring and boring to the point the lore is no longer interesting because you're sick of the game and its story. Idk maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy, or maybe I just don't like wasting my whole day on video games anymore.
It's probably a mix of getting old (less patience and time), and having too much offer.

It used to be that you'd get a few games a year to play, so you'd be happy if you had things to do and side story to complete that lasted you months. Nowadays, there are so many "must-plays" that it's hard to justify spending a lot of time on a single title.

It's the irony in all of this. We used to wish we had more awesome games to play, and now we have so many, we can't even immerse ourselves in a single one.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy White v2.0
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
I absolutely loved plague tale and I wish there were more games like it. I'm sick of single player story based games being ruined by exactly what you've said, by being offline MMOs without half the depth.

I'm just going to go play Bioshock because at least that's still good.

yeah idk. I've been combing thru & replaying a few greats.

i re-installed ARMA3 & grabbed the full DLC pack. N might grab titan fall 2 next time it comes around.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in