[TechSpot] Xbox chief Phil Spencer promises no Xbox Series X exclusives for a 'couple of years' - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Xbox chief Phil Spencer promises no Xbox Series X exclusives for a 'couple of years'

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 60)
Exclusives sell consoles and MS does not have any thing to show for. Of course they have this kind of attitude and money to burn. Mean while Sony and Nintendo will continue to kick their asses. They have never been able to recover after the 360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 AM
生き甲斐がない

Rep: 53 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
Like many on this forum who can't seem to get away from politics out of everything under the sun. Really people need to stop trying to tie every technology/gaming/hardware news to politics. Take the stupid tinfoil hats off people, this is not a flat earther convention. Why do people continually force this garbage on others... please just give it up already...

Microsoft owns the PC gaming market by API/OS, Xbox has always been an extension of that. They have been planning on merging the two for a really long time. You mostly covered this in the first paragraph of your post, the rest is just absolute speculation of a "logical individual" with a politcal overtone that is absurd.
Didn't know basic business and marketing sense was considered "tinfoil hat" territory. Sorry you were offended by reality.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
old console hardware holds back game design greatly.
It's cheap PC owners who hold back games. All the people with crap sub $600 machines that expect to play the latest greatest games. The fact they have to cater to so many different type of machines is what holds games back for us.

Even Sony is said to moving to letting it's exclusives moves to PC

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:50 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by Owari View Post
Didn't know basic business and marketing sense was considered "tinfoil hat" territory. Sorry you were offended by reality.
I don't know how your post would upset anyone. I think it's fairly well reasoned, even if it might not be the truth.

I can tell you, though, that his post added nothing to the discussion. So, it's kind of weird that he's sitting there criticizing you.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy White v2.0
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 04:10 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I don't know how your post would upset anyone. I think it's fairly well reasoned, even if it might not be the truth.

I can tell you, though, that his post added nothing to the discussion. So, it's kind of weird that he's sitting there criticizing you.
Some people get angry when they get a response they don't like.
It is very common especially in the current young generation which basically lives for arguing over the internet.
He feels to be very young considering he can't even do the basic distinction between economics and politics, and feels it is all interconnected.

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 04:16 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
It's cheap PC owners who hold back games. All the people with crap sub $600 machines that expect to play the latest greatest games. The fact they have to cater to so many different type of machines is what holds games back for us.

Even Sony is said to moving to letting it's exclusives moves to PC
Not everyone can afford up to date 2000$ machine every other year.

So many buy a cheap PC once every few years and stick to it, because that is what they can afford.
I doubt they expect to play the latest greatest games. Mostly I expect them to be less gamers oriented in their purchase.

You do see people here who bought a brand new 2000$ PC 2 years ago who get frustrated the latest greatest game doesn't run 4K/60fps on their system.

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:20 AM
LTSC for life crew

Rep: 156 (Unique: 107)
I suppose off topic posts and not adding value to a discussion is par for the course nowadays. I am certainly guilty of that myself many times over.

Exclusives really do drive a percentage of console sales - I know I bought an Xbox 360 solely for Tales Of Vesperia & Blue Dragon, two console exclusives. Actually I've bought three Xbox 360's due to the RROD thing but we won't focus too much on that.

This image I ran across seems to suggest that MS hasn't been terribly aggressive on exclusives for a while now. https://www.gameskinny.com/6ffwq/pla...lusives-better

Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

So many buy a cheap PC once every few years and stick to it, because that is what they can afford.
I doubt they expect to play the latest greatest games. Mostly I expect them to be less gamers oriented in their purchase.

You do see people here who bought a brand new 2000$ PC 2 years ago who get frustrated the latest greatest game doesn't run 4K/60fps on their system.
I've always liked the idea of building one system with high quality/top tier parts and keeping it for a while. Then you get value over the long run, good performance for the duration, and less headaches than cheap-o parts would cause. Granted my franken PC doesn't fit that bill but there's really no compelling reason for me to make a clean sheet build at the moment - My R9 390 does what I need it to just as well as my old GTX 1080 did for 1080P gaming. That and parts shortages have been a nightmare to deal with.

And yet here I am only further pulling things off topic.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by speed_demon; 07-19-2020 at 06:26 AM.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0

Perhaps it was a knock on platform wars. To clarify, cut consoles out of the equation entirely. I'd bet people would replace the word console with the phrase cheap PC in such arguments. We can't have nice things because Bob spent $600 on his "gaming rig" instead of $2000. Especially because, well, a console could be construed as a cheap "personal computer" with less functionality anyway. So perhaps the comment was meant to illuminate the hypocrisy in the great debate known as platform wars.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I've always liked the idea of building one system with high quality/top tier parts and keeping it for a while. Then you get value over the long run, good performance for the duration, and less headaches than cheap-o parts would cause. Granted my franken PC doesn't fit that bill but there's really no compelling reason for me to make a clean sheet build at the moment - My R9 390 does what I need it to just as well as my old GTX 1080 did for 1080P gaming. That and parts shortages have been a nightmare to deal with.
The trouble is you tend to eat a price premium for getting the best. See exhibit A, $1200 GPU's. Because... that isn't excessive or inflated. Queue the just buy it write-up. As I like to call it, the ultimate credibility booster.

I've always been a fan of the one or two steps down approach myself. That is, look at the "best" out there and purchase whatever is one or two steps below it. You can usually dodge the price premium this way and still get respectable longevity.

In terms of the thread topic.... I'm genuinely curious how games supporting the old square boxes with hardware from the stone age for a couple years after the new squareish boxes spelling the doom of PC's (not sure how that works either) roll around means there are no incentives to buy the latter. I'd think the new kids on the block ditching the spinny boy HDD's and elevating themselves above piss poor load times would be incentive enough. It's not like Xbox had a wealth of great exclusives to offer in the first place.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post
Exclusives sell consoles and MS does not have any thing to show for. Of course they have this kind of attitude and money to burn. Mean while Sony and Nintendo will continue to kick their asses. They have never been able to recover after the 360.
Like Microsoft's money comes from consoles at this point.
Gamepass is obviously their main money maker for the last years and i bet it makes a ton of money.

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 09:29 AM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)

that's the opposite extreme example to his extreme example.

4K60 sucks, 2 years ago, and now. It's just slightly less sucky now as games are slowly but surely getting better programming for it.

there are lots of people that'll disagree with me though, and state they've been playing at 4K60+ for 5 years now.

I decided to jump back down to 1440p120hz and have loved every second of it since. it helps that the PPI from my 4K to this 3440 isn't much different.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in