[TechSpot] Xbox chief Phil Spencer promises no Xbox Series X exclusives for a 'couple of years' - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Xbox chief Phil Spencer promises no Xbox Series X exclusives for a 'couple of years'

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
that's the opposite extreme example to his extreme example.

4K60 sucks, 2 years ago, and now. It's just slightly less sucky now as games are slowly but surely getting better programming for it.

there are lots of people that'll disagree with me though, and state they've been playing at 4K60+ for 5 years now.

I decided to jump back down to 1440p120hz and have loved every second of it since. it helps that the PPI from my 4K to this 3440 isn't much different.
If you can’t see the pixels then you aren’t sitting close enough

What this backwards compatibility says to me is I’m getting one more console gen out of my quad core.
Oh yeah QUAD CORE!

L5
(16 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
Team 16GB [email protected]
Hard Drive
1Tb Team sata+1TB Team sata+1TB 42mm msata
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design C (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, M1060, DT990pro, Fidelio2
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB Samsung cheap
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 291 (Unique: 210)
The way I look at it, if the Xbox One X is limited to 30 FPS, make the Series X 60 FPS. If the One X can do 60 FPS, make the Series X do 120 FPS.

As long as there is a tangible upgrade going from the Xbox One X -> Series X, I'm all for it.

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Just Lift Bro

Rep: 166 (Unique: 125)
PS exclusives have been pretty subpar i must admit, so i don't really see an issue with this.

R.I.P Terry Davis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Well who wants to play slideshow on the old hardware? Consolers haha. Maybe it will get too much for them and will want to buy a more powerful machine, be it more powerful newer console or something else.

There is no need to have exclusive games when all consoles are essentially a proprietary PC and could all run the same stuff. The question is how much will developers turn down the hardware requirements so it does run usable on older consoles when even current titles are a no go on those.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 139 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
I suppose off topic posts and not adding value to a discussion is par for the course nowadays. I am certainly guilty of that myself many times over.

Exclusives really do drive a percentage of console sales - I know I bought an Xbox 360 solely for Tales Of Vesperia & Blue Dragon, two console exclusives. Actually I've bought three Xbox 360's due to the RROD thing but we w
This image I ran across seems to suggest that MS hasn't been terribly aggressive on exclusives for a while now. https://www.gameskinny.com/6ffwq/pla...lusives-better

First off, that list is bogus because it has things like Dreams in 2016, and excludes Ori and the Blind Forest for Xbox in 2015 (Digital 2015, Physical 2016, neither is listed) the list is a mess.

More importantly, anyone looking at these lists really has to ask "How many of these games have I played?"

Even if it were fully correct, these sorts of lists are really deceptive because 75% PS4 titles are JRPGs. "If" you're into that genre then clearly Xbox would never be your platform of choice. Even if Microsoft has tried to make inroads into the Japanese market it's largely a lost cause (though with the way Sony has been behaving Japanese devs might start to look at Xbox more positively, it seems Nintendo has largely gained from Sony's hamfisted policies).

From 2013 to 2015 Microsoft had the superior lineup, if you like shooters then Microsoft has always had the upper hand. In general it seems that Sony has intentionally separated themselves by genre this generation, on PS3 we had the big push for Killzone, SOCOM, MAG, Starhawk, now on PS4 all of that is gone and Sony doesn't even try anymore, they gave up on the entire genre. Maybe the intention was just to push Destiny and CoD with exclusive marketing but that's not a good long term strategy.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
RYSE was so god awful too.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 139 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
RYSE was so god awful too.
Was it though?
Both Ryse and Quantum Break were way better than The Order 1886, and probably right around the same quality as Days Gone (both Days Gone and Quantum Break had issues with bugs, which is one of the main factors that hurt their average score).
At the beginning of the generation people basically blacklisted Microsoft out of sheer spite. Specifically with Quantum Break it will be very interesting to see how that game ages. The story is full cheese mode, but it actually executed on a premise that no other game ever has. Go back in time and get Quantum Break released on PS4 instead of Xbox and it would have received 9's across the board just because media hype for PS4 was worth that much.

Once the 4K60 Back Compat mode is working on Series X I'm definitely going to have to play through Ryse and Quantum Break.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 09:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Was it though?
Both Ryse and Quantum Break were way better than The Order 1886, and probably right around the same quality as Days Gone (both Days Gone and Quantum Break had issues with bugs, which is one of the main factors that hurt their average score).
At the beginning of the generation people basically blacklisted Microsoft out of sheer spite. Specifically with Quantum Break it will be very interesting to see how that game ages. The story is full cheese mode, but it actually executed on a premise that no other game ever has. Go back in time and get Quantum Break released on PS4 instead of Xbox and it would have received 9's across the board just because media hype for PS4 was worth that much.

Once the 4K60 Back Compat mode is working on Series X I'm definitely going to have to play through Ryse and Quantum Break.
I liked all those games but Days Gone sits above those for me as I really enjoyed horde missions. It also has the better color art style imo compared to tlou2 and horizon. Kinda sits in between those, except DG nights look too bright and blue for my taste.

My issue with DG's progression felt too slow in the beginning.

Quantum break was really fun.

The problem was how MS just slowed down with their output as if the ms deeper than sony pockets weren't real. A lot always use that as a defense on disqus threads. I would've been so game for QB2 and SSOD2 if they were late MS exclusives this gen.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 10:38 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
yes, it was. none of that other stuff about the other games or being black listed matters.

Ryse is a bad game, even if it runs smoothly now. It's at best a short engine demo with bad real time event scripting, and there are $5 games on Steam that better handle sword combat, and give you much more of it to boot. Or did they drop DLC patching in more than the super short story?

pretty sure the devs also stated they got thrown under the bus & had to release it at the 1 year mark or something.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/86045-...ox-series.html

To me this basically means there is no reason at all to buy an Xbox Series X. It's such a dumb decision from Microsoft... So stupid that even a couple of years after the Xbox Series X comes out, all the games on it will still be held back by hardware from 2013. Despite what Phil Spencer wants us to think, pretty much all PC gamers know that old console hardware holds back game design greatly.
First of all, they make all of their money on game sales. It wouldn't make sense to release an exclusive game until the new Xbox has has sold so many units.

Second of all, the Series X can provide better graphics settings, higher resolutions, higher FPS etc...

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in