[GI] NPD: Software sales up for the first time since February - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GI] NPD: Software sales up for the first time since February

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The NPD Group has released its software sales figures for the month of September 2009, revealing a modest 5 per cent revenue growth from the same period in 2008, the first sign of growth since February this year.

Software brought in USD 649.32 of revenue between August 30 and October 3, 2009, up 5 per cent over the USD 617.57 reported during the same period last year. The software leader by a significant margin was Microsoft's Halo 3: ODST, which sold an impressive 1.52 million units during its September US debut.

"Halo 3 certainly impacted the industry two years ago when it was launched, and this year, Halo 3: ODST realised impressive sales making it the 6th best-selling SKU launch of all time," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier. By comparison, Halo 3 sold 3 million copies during its September, 2007 release.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...since-february
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
PC Gaming Master Race

Rep: 450 (Unique: 355)
Oh? They forgot to include the part where because of piracy, sales were a lot lower than projected and over $1 billion in profits were lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
Oh? They forgot to include the part where because of piracy, sales were a lot lower than projected and over $1 billion in profits were lost.
killjoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
most pirates wont go out any buy it anyways

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nniez View Post
most pirates wont go out any buy it anyways
^this. I never understood the arguement if it's cheap and good epople will buy it. Yes it is true more will buy it but if you already had the intent to pirate it most likely even if it was 5 dollars it would've been pirated anyway.

Then again I'm a hypocrite. I downloaded something(not saying what) and then went out and bought Transformers 2 on blu-ray and a PS3 game. Juxtaposition much?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM
B.O.W

Rep: 1287 (Unique: 749)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
^this. I never understood the arguement if it's cheap and good epople will buy it. Yes it is true more will buy it but if you already had the intent to pirate it most likely even if it was 5 dollars it would've been pirated anyway.
How we got on the discussion of pirates I don't really understand starting with the 2nd post.

But - just to contribute to the topic at hand, not all pirates pirate software for the same reason. Some do it because they can, others because they feel prices are inflated.
If it was too expensive - one could attempt to argue they couldn't afford something so over priced.
If it was too cheap - one could attempt to argue why even bother paying $5.

Oh and by the way, you're not allowed to admit to piracy on OCN. Just a heads up.

[Project] Ω Reestablished / [Project]Nemesis i7 Revival
"A new Genesis is at hand, and I shall be its creator!"~Albert Wesker
"The best case mods are never finished, but in a perpetual state of evolution."~Flux
"Do not let the kindness of your heart be sullied by the underhandedness and lack of sincerity of those that you cross paths with." ~ Syrillian

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Starting to become a BOFH

Rep: 364 (Unique: 304)
Good to see sales are up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif
The persistance of a human may never win against the persistance of time, but the fruits of the labors are wonderous to behold, even in our brevity.
⚜ R.I.P Syrillian ⚜
8/13/2011

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
How we got on the discussion of pirates I don't really understand starting with the 2nd post.

But - just to contribute to the topic at hand, not all pirates pirate software for the same reason. Some do it because they can, others because they feel prices are inflated.
If it was too expensive - one could attempt to argue they couldn't afford something so over priced.

Oh and by the way, you're not allowed to admit to piracy on OCN. Just a heads up.
Heh I didn't admit to piracy per-say... I just said I downloaded something.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 90)
Quote:

Don't ask, don't tell?

They can, unless their processors are designed by ninjas, who only CHOOSE to obey the laws of physics when they want to. Ask a ninja, it's true. -voice
Complaining about SLi and 3DMark scores is about as useless here as complaining about the towing capacity of a Ferrari Enzo. -MNiceGuy
Bring her flowers, take her out to a fancy dinner, and then pop the question, "Will you buy me a video card?" -RussianGrimmReaper
I realize that buckets of people don't like steam...they view it as communism in the sense that it works well in theory but not reality... -x7337H

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Piracy is like masturbation, everyone denies it, but everyone does it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in