[EG]Sony "not even debating near-future PS4" - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[EG]Sony "not even debating near-future PS4"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
FlyingNugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 742
Rep: 48 (Unique: 45)
Every new game is going to be a console port, so be it.... but could we at least get the inferior consoles to upgrade their hardware. That way when I get my console port it at least looks good?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Audio
Onkyo Tx 308
Behringer 2030p
SVS PB-10 NSD


FlyingNugget is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
FlawleZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,828
Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
They made these statements YEARS ago I don't understand why everyone keeps creating rumors of a PS4 release even remotely close to the next couple years. The PS3/360 WILL be the longest running Consoles. Their replacements will likely run even longer. It's just the nature of consoles.
FlawleZ is offline  
post #33 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Gone
 
Skylit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,729
Rep: 541 (Unique: 328)
Fine with me for the time being... I mean, going from the PS2 > PC was like night and day back around 2004. Going from Uncharted/Killzone> Crysis/Metro isn't THAT much of an improvement to yield vast hardware changes which will only be utilized by a small amount of developers at the time of release. Believe it or not, but a lot of them still struggle with coding the PS3/360.

Besides, I doubt anyone would really want to shell $500-700+ for a next generation console with no set titles.


Edit: I realize better hardware will push full 1080p resolution without upscaling, but do you guys really think that the way the graphics look will phenomenally change once consoles get upgraded? I doubt it.

Skylit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
bojinglebells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,583
Rep: 60 (Unique: 52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxel;12418210 
They are in it together, at least silently. They both understand that if one company builds one, the other will have to build one. Then they both lose money.

Maybe if they can get it to release without drawing much attention.

The problem there is that once Wii sales start to slump enough to get the console dropped into the $99-149 range there's not much stopping Nintendo from putting out a Wii HD that could easily have hardware equal to if not clearly better than the 360 and PS3 and sell new for $249.

The best part is that it wouldn't necessarily have to infringe on the original Wii if they can make some of the games cross platform by simply having the Wii HD run the new cross platform Wii specific games with higher resolutions and textures, etc. Of course there would likely be some Wii HD only games but that wouldn't matter, there are already plenty of 360/PS3/PC only games that simply cannot be ported to the Wii that Nintendo is missing out on.

bojinglebells is offline  
post #35 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
B!0HaZard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 6,619
Rep: 370 (Unique: 310)
I want MS to make an Xbox 720 if not for my sake (better PC graphics) then at least for console gamers sake. They're stuck with crappy graphics and non-HD ('cause only 1 in 10 console games are even true 720p). I feel bad for them and they don't even know they're being screwed hard in the behind.

I've hooked my laptop up to my 1360x768 32" TV and it looks good. PS3, not so much. Why? Lower rendered res, texture resolutions, etc.

Achievements:
i5 3570K @ 5.1 GHz | i5 2500k @ 5.2 GHz | E8200 @ 4.0 GHz
M1XN
(18 items)
CPU
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
GPU
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128 GB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB
Optical Drive
LiteOn DL-8ATSH
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH-C14
Case
NCASE M1 V2.5
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
ViewSonic VP2770
Keyboard
Vortex Pok3r
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
HiFiMan HE-400
Other
Logitech C920
▲ hide details ▲
B!0HaZard is offline  
post #36 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,756
The problem is that there is no compelling reason for them to make their next-gen console.

For this generation's consoles each company had good reasons to make them:
Sony - Blu-ray format (this helped them with the format war), High Definition resolutions.
Microsoft - High definition resolutions (and knowing Sony was going to be making a new consoles they had to compete with).
Nintendo - Nintendo knew Sony and MS were making a new console, and Nintendo probably realized the Gamecube wasn't doing so well and that they needed something new quickly.

Someone give one good reason (from a business standpoint), that next-gen consoles should be developed. The only reason I can think of is to stay ahead of the competition. But if each company realizes the other isn't making another console yet, then none of them have to worry about that.


lordikon is offline  
post #37 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
B!0HaZard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 6,619
Rep: 370 (Unique: 310)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon;12419027 
The problem is that there is no compelling reason for them to make their next-gen console.

For this generation's consoles each company had good reasons to make them:
Sony - Blu-ray format (this helped them with the format war), High Definition resolutions.
Microsoft - High definition resolutions (and knowing Sony was going to be making a new consoles they had to compete with).
Nintendo - Nintendo knew Sony and MS were making a new console, and Nintendo probably realized the Gamecube wasn't doing so well and that they needed something new quickly.

Someone give one good reason (from a business standpoint), that next-gen consoles should be developed. The only reason I can think of is to stay ahead of the competition. But if each company realizes the other isn't making another console yet, then none of them have to worry about that.

But how much money would one rake in if the other didn't have a competing product? MS won with the Xbox because they released it earlier AFAIK. What would happen if one made a new console and the other didn't have a competing product for 2 years?

Achievements:
i5 3570K @ 5.1 GHz | i5 2500k @ 5.2 GHz | E8200 @ 4.0 GHz
M1XN
(18 items)
CPU
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
GPU
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128 GB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB
Optical Drive
LiteOn DL-8ATSH
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH-C14
Case
NCASE M1 V2.5
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
ViewSonic VP2770
Keyboard
Vortex Pok3r
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
HiFiMan HE-400
Other
Logitech C920
▲ hide details ▲
B!0HaZard is offline  
post #38 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Rookie1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: /dev/random
Posts: 8,555
Rep: 389 (Unique: 296)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard;12419093 
But how much money would one rake in if the other didn't have a competing product? MS won with the Xbox because they released it earlier AFAIK. What would happen if one made a new console and the other didn't have a competing product for 2 years?

Sega released the Dreamcast about the same amount of time ahead of Sony's PS2 that MS released the 360 and we all know how well that turned out for Sega. Just because you're the first doesn't mean you're the winner. The good news is that I won't need a new GPU for a while I guess right? rolleyes.gif

I really loathe Sony lately. Every single segment of the company is full of failure right now it's incredible. I wish someone would hack the PS3 further (if possible) to forces Sony's hand into making a new console. They need a lesson in humility. They lost a long time customer here.

On the flip side I guess they're still hurting in the profit margins on the PS3 and that's why they don't want to pursue another console right now. I guess it's impressive how well the PS3 is doing with that 7800GTX in it.
Rookie1337 is offline  
post #39 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
sirsycott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 294
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337;12419246 
Sega released the Dreamcast about the same amount of time ahead of Sony's PS2 that MS released the 360 and we all know how well that turned out for Sega. Just because you're the first doesn't mean you're the winner. The good news is that I won't need a new GPU for a while I guess right? rolleyes.gif

I really loathe Sony lately. Every single segment of the company is full of failure right now it's incredible. I wish someone would hack the PS3 further (if possible) to forces Sony's hand into making a new console. They need a lesson in humility. They lost a long time customer here.

On the flip side I guess they're still hurting in the profit margins on the PS3 and that's why they don't want to pursue another console right now. I guess it's impressive how well the PS3 is doing with that 7800GTX in it.

wait till a ps3 emulator comes out, then there will be a person running with an actual 7800GTX, and Q6600 and he will be angry at the fact that it won't run 100% fps,

OMG Drakes Fortune with AA, or Gran Turismo 5 with AA

sirsycott is offline  
post #40 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
PC Gaming Master Race
 
Stealth Pyros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,083
Rep: 450 (Unique: 355)
Wonderful, we have to wait and deal with the pathetic consoles slowing us down from advancing game technology. Oh well. So long as BF3 is a quality game, BC2 and BF3 will keep me going for years. BF2 sure did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif


Stealth Pyros is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off