Inkscape export to CorelDRAW X4? Awful! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Inkscape export to CorelDRAW X4? Awful!

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 25)
Hello!

So I'm a vector art newbie using Inkscape, but up and running after a good lot of bitmap/raster graphics experience, and I love it! Inkscape was SO easy to jump into with a bit of practice, and the capabilities are functional and intuitive.

I have a problem. I have to send a file to a publisher who unfortunately uses CorelDRAW version X4. The company's "artist" is awful, poorly interpreting my bitmap art into some shoddy finished work. So, I requested the source files: CDR (X4) format. NO PROBLEM for Inkscape to import!

With the CDR files perfectly-imported into Inkscape, I set to work making adjustments and alterations, and before long it was done! It looks great now. So I sent the Inkscape SVG files to the publisher. CorelDraw could NOT open them right.

So I installed a fully functional CorelDraw 15-day trial, and I started a trial-and-error method of eliminating export options that don't work for CorelDraw.
  • The short answer: NOTHING WORKS, except PDF, which ALMOST works right.
  • More details: importing an SVG more complex than a 2-yr-old child's scribble yields a highly distorted result.

As you'll see here, Corel's support of SVG format (opening/importing) in X4 is damn near useless, and very buggy:

(Ignore red mspaint scribbles! wink.gif )

So what do I do? Just do an export/import of PDF and fix it in Corel? Sigh. I just want a straight conversion. frown.gif Experienced ideas and insights are golden... More pictures below. Thoughts? Experiences? Successes/failures? Thanks!

Here are the save-as options in Inkscape:

Here are the open/import options in CorelDRAW X4:

Love big, sig small. Please do your part by keeping your signature compact. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 51)
Save to eps. Any decent printer should use that.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 25)
Thanks. What I ended up doing was exporting to PDF for the sake of interfacing. At this day and age, it seems PDF is the ONLY universal intermediary. Not all things will translate perfectly (gradients were goofed in my case) but PDF was the best export option in my case, hands-down. biggrin.gif

Love big, sig small. Please do your part by keeping your signature compact. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Trying to save files in Inkscape as svg etc isn't allowing me to open them in Coreldraw . Copy and pasting yields best results but edges of graphics come out choppy and crooked without anything close to as clean of a look that are originally in Inkscape.

Corel does lots of things Inkscape does not do, but as far as vector illustration goes, all vector illustration software does most of the same things: shapes, paths, node editing, text, clones, symbols, etc. . The shortcuts will be different, and some tools are unique to each program, or will require fewer/or more steps.

I have a XP-Pen Deco pro Pen Tablet to use with Inkscape and GIMP for node editing and drawing new art. There is no bitmap editing in Inkscape, but you can use GIMP with a linked bitmap and achieve much of the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in