Proposed HTPC Build - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Proposed HTPC Build

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
Dont get 2400Mhz RAM if you use Ryzen, go for faster speeds like 3000 or 3200, and make sure to check the motherboard QVL for compatible RAM.
Considering the case is quite large with ample CPU clearance, I would get a small tower cooler rather than a low profile one. That being said, you could easily use the supplied AMD cooler on a Ryzen as they're pretty damn good for a free cooler.

Other than that, looks fine. Personally I'd replace the SSD with an M.2 form factor boot drive and move bulk storage to NAS, but thats not always an option for people.
At first I thought "would higher RAM speeds even make a noticeable difference?" but then I realized that without a dedicated graphics card it's going to rely on the RAM a lot more and every little bit will help. This is my first time building something with integrated graphics so I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched a benchmark for the 2200G comparing 4 different RAM speeds and going from 2400Mhz to 320Mhz added an average 7FPS improvement. I'd say it's worth the extra $20. I've updated that last link to include it.

You grabbed that link before I could edit it lol. I actually changed the Noctua out for the Shadow Rock LP I originally had set up. It's still a low profile cooler, but it uses a 120mm fan (which just so happens to be identical to the case fams) and has a 130TDP which is probably a little overkill.

As far as the m.2 ssd, I think for my purposes I'll settle for how it is.

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Sory never mind my mistake
???

Last edited by Animag771; 01-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Darn it, i've been thinking too much. Now I'm looking at the M.2 more and everything says it will make no perceptible difference for a build like this, BUT.... I found a 240GB WD Green M.2 for the same price as the Crucial Source 250GB. I like that the M.2 has lower power consumption and will take less wiring, just don't know if it will even make a noticeable difference and I'll lose 10GB (which isn't much).

Someone pick for me, so I can start buying stuff tonight
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2696 (Unique: 1603)
You need to be more specific when you say M.2 SSD since there are M.2 drives with both the AHCI protocole and the newer NVME protocole
An NVME drive is a complete waste of time and money for the kind of system you are building

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
You need to be more specific when you say M.2 SSD since there are M.2 drives with both the AHCI protocol and the newer NVME protocol
An NVME drive is a complete waste of time and money for the kind of system you are building
It appears to be the newer NVME protocol, but it's the same price as the standard SSD I was looking at.
https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...gkL&ref=plSrch
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2696 (Unique: 1603)
As long as the price is the same as an AHCI drive or cheaper go for it but if it costs more dont bother

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Why do SSDs have to be so complicated? So these are the only real differences I see.

Mushkin Source SSD: 250GB, 3D TLC
WD Green M.2 2280: 240GB, SLC

I may just get the Mushkin and call it a day. Not sure the difference between 3D TLC and SLC is going to be noticably better.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Tokyo the defiler

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
About to build my first HTPC and I've got a lot to learn. I've only ever built gaming rigs, which are pretty much as simple as: set budget, figure out where you're willing to make sacrifices and buy the best stuff you can within that budget. The HTPC world has a lot more going on with it. Just learned about Kodi, I keep seeing the word Plex come up (gotta look into that) and lots of other stuff.

This HTPC is going to be used for viewing/streaming movies, Kodi, web surfing and playing emulator games (everything up to Wii) and maybe the occasional PC game.

The display for this will be an Epson 4010 projector which is 4k* (not native) going onto a 92" (16:9) screen from 16' away. Not the ideal screen setup, but I'm limited by the space available. A quiet HTPC is ideal, but silent (fanless) isn't required in my case because I'll be sitting about 15' from the case.

URL to build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WJKnhy

Hardware:
Case - Silverstone GD09B
CPU - AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Mobo - ASUS M5A78L-M
OS Storage - Muschkin Source 250GB SSD
Media Storage - Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB HDD
RAM - G.Skill Sniper 16G (8GB x2) DDR3-1600
GPU - ASUS GTX 1050ti 4GB Pheonix
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W
Disk Drive - ASUS BC-12B1ST
OS - Windows 7 Pro 32/64bit

Total Cost = $853.99 (Before shopping around)
Total Power = 258W

So being as this is my first HTPC build I'm asking... For my proposed setup, would this do the trick? Before anyone jumps in to say 16GB is overkill for the RAM, it just makes more sense to me to get 16GB when the price difference between 8GB and 16GB is only $15. Otherwise is anything overkill for my needs? Anywhere I could make improvements? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Animag

Edit: On the remote, I'm thinking of using an RII K25, unless there is something better out there that has a QWERTY on the back that somebody knows of.
that 8350 uses a lot more power at idle. Also, I personally wouldn't spend 800 on an HTPC. Hell... my HTPC is literally a rasppi 3 LOL. My server is another thing, but even then, my server didnt run me 800$ and i'm running Raid 5 with 4 3TB disks, then again... it was built from spare parts, so theres that. i5 2400s, 8GB of ram, 120GB OS, Storage 9TB Raid5, headless

Babies are just something you have to not make die...

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by emeianoite View Post
that 8350 uses a lot more power at idle. Also, I personally wouldn't spend 800 on an HTPC. Hell... my HTPC is literally a rasppi 3 LOL. My server is another thing, but even then, my server didnt run me 800$ and i'm running Raid 5 with 4 3TB disks, then again... it was built from spare parts, so theres that. i5 2400s, 8GB of ram, 120GB OS, Storage 9TB Raid5, headless
Did you only read the first post? The build has been switched to a Ryzen 2200G and it's a $750 build because I'm not using any spare parts, which could have significantly reduced the price (heck the OS alone will run me nearly $100) and it's pretty much going to be an HTPC+media server with light gaming.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well crap... Looks like I'm just going to get the WD 240 M.2 SATA. It's a whopping $0.50 cheaper and will have lower power consumption than a standard SSD. Plus I have had good experiences with WD in the past. This will free up a little space in the case and require fewer wires. Sucky thing though. Looks like I'm going to have to use Windows 10, because I've read that 7 doesn't support M.2. Oh well. I'll have to upgrade to 10 eventually when 7 stops behind supported.

Everything ordered. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in