Proposed HTPC Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Proposed HTPC Build

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 4)
About to build my first HTPC and I've got a lot to learn. I've only ever built gaming rigs, which are pretty much as simple as: set budget, figure out where you're willing to make sacrifices and buy the best stuff you can within that budget. The HTPC world has a lot more going on with it. Just learned about Kodi, I keep seeing the word Plex come up (gotta look into that) and lots of other stuff.

This HTPC is going to be used for viewing/streaming movies, Kodi, web surfing and playing emulator games (everything up to Wii) and maybe the occasional PC game.

The display for this will be an Epson 4010 projector which is 4k* (not native) going onto a 92" (16:9) screen from 16' away. Not the ideal screen setup, but I'm limited by the space available. A quiet HTPC is ideal, but silent (fanless) isn't required in my case because I'll be sitting about 15' from the case.

URL to build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WJKnhy

Hardware:
Case - Silverstone GD09B
CPU - AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Mobo - ASUS M5A78L-M
OS Storage - Muschkin Source 250GB SSD
Media Storage - Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB HDD
RAM - G.Skill Sniper 16G (8GB x2) DDR3-1600
GPU - ASUS GTX 1050ti 4GB Pheonix
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W
Disk Drive - ASUS BC-12B1ST
OS - Windows 7 Pro 32/64bit

Total Cost = $853.99 (Before shopping around)
Total Power = 258W

So being as this is my first HTPC build I'm asking... For my proposed setup, would this do the trick? Before anyone jumps in to say 16GB is overkill for the RAM, it just makes more sense to me to get 16GB when the price difference between 8GB and 16GB is only $15. Otherwise is anything overkill for my needs? Anywhere I could make improvements? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Animag

Edit: On the remote, I'm thinking of using an RII K25, unless there is something better out there that has a QWERTY on the back that somebody knows of.

Last edited by Animag771; 01-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
It will certainly do the job and will fly along in some tasks. Its definitely not what I'd build unless I already had those parts lying around.

If you are buying all of that, new or used, then I honestly wouldnt bother for those prices in your PCpartpicker link.
I would buy into AM4 instead of the defunct AM3 platform, and use a new APU without the need of a dedicated GPU.

Ryzen 2200G - $100 (possibly even the Athlon 200GE for $50)
ASrock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX - $61
G.Skill Aegis 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz - $99
No GPU required.

You could also use a smaller micro ATX case or even ITX, though AM4 ITX motherboards are in short supply and priced much higher than ATX and MATX versions.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Are you going to be adding a tv tuner card?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
I would not get an FX system unless it was super cheap (used) or you already had it. I would keep the nVidia GPU or get an Intel CPU if you plan on using Netflix for HDR (which I the 4010 supports), unless AMD announces support with their upcoming GPUs. To the best of my knowledge, you need an Intel IGPU or a 10xx GPU with 3GB+ vRAM (I think that means the 3gb 1050 is the lowest desktop card you can get, unless there is a 4gb 1030).

HTPC vs normal desktop building/selecting parts = no difference as far as I am concerned other than the 'select quieter/less power hungry stuff.' Your case seems big enough/will have good airflow, so I cannot really see you running into and heat issues with respect to what you pick.

Kodi is something you can look into/set-up, but I think it is pretty mediocre. Every time I use it to watch anything, the quality is so bad I would rather just not watch it. PQ issues will be magnified using "4K" (lower res stuff looked better to me on my 60" 1080p tv vs my 55" 4k TV [LG Oled]) and the screen size (92" is small for a PJ setup, but it is still pretty large).

Plex is for streaming local files from a server to other devices (phones, smart-TVs, consoles, etc.). You can check out Emby as well, I have heard good things about it as a Plex alternative (some things for Plex are behind a pay-wall [Plex Pass]). I have Plex and love it(!), but I had already gotten a life-time Plex Pass by the time I heard about Emby (which I probably would have tried out before spending the money).

If you are 15' away from the build, your PJ will probably be louder than the PC (assuming you are closer to the PJ than the PC). When I had a 2050a, I thought it was louder than my HTPC (2050a is rated at 29dB, the 4010 is rated at 31dB).
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't built a PC in about 4 years now and a LOT of new hardware has been released since then, so I'm pretty in the dark about the capabilities of these newer CPUs and GPUs.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
It will certainly do the job and will fly along in some tasks. Its definitely not what I'd build unless I already had those parts lying around.

If you are buying all of that, new or used, then I honestly wouldnt bother for those prices in your PCpartpicker link.
I would buy into AM4 instead of the defunct AM3 platform, and use a new APU without the need of a dedicated GPU.

Ryzen 2200G - $100 (possibly even the Athlon 200GE for $50)
ASrock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX - $61
G.Skill Aegis 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz - $99
No GPU required.

You could also use a smaller micro ATX case or even ITX, though AM4 ITX motherboards are in short supply and priced much higher than ATX and MATX versions.
One of those CPU's would save me the upfront cost of having to buy a GPU which would be nice and I could always add one later on of needed, but will they handle games on Dolphin and PCSX2 without issue? I do like the lower TDP though. As far as the case, I'm going to be honest... I didn't even look at the measurements on that case (I hate that everything is in mm and has to be converted), I just picked one I thought would looked ok under the screen that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The MAX (not including room for airflow) available space I have for a case is 20" W x 13" H x 24" D.

Quote: Originally Posted by iSpark View Post
Are you going to be adding a tv tuner card?
Probably not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
I would not get an FX system unless it was super cheap (used) or you already had it. I would keep the nVidia GPU or get an Intel CPU if you plan on using Netflix for HDR (which I the 4010 supports), unless AMD announces support with their upcoming GPUs. To the best of my knowledge, you need an Intel IGPU or a 10xx GPU with 3GB+ vRAM (I think that means the 3gb 1050 is the lowest desktop card you can get, unless there is a 4gb 1030).

HTPC vs normal desktop building/selecting parts = no difference as far as I am concerned other than the 'select quieter/less power hungry stuff.' Your case seems big enough/will have good airflow, so I cannot really see you running into and heat issues with respect to what you pick.

Kodi is something you can look into/set-up, but I think it is pretty mediocre. Every time I use it to watch anything, the quality is so bad I would rather just not watch it. PQ issues will be magnified using "4K" (lower res stuff looked better to me on my 60" 1080p tv vs my 55" 4k TV [LG Oled]) and the screen size (92" is small for a PJ setup, but it is still pretty large).

Plex is for streaming local files from a server to other devices (phones, smart-TVs, consoles, etc.). You can check out Emby as well, I have heard good things about it as a Plex alternative (some things for Plex are behind a pay-wall [Plex Pass]). I have Plex and love it(!), but I had already gotten a life-time Plex Pass by the time I heard about Emby (which I probably would have tried out before spending the money).

If you are 15' away from the build, your PJ will probably be louder than the PC (assuming you are closer to the PJ than the PC). When I had a 2050a, I thought it was louder than my HTPC (2050a is rated at 29dB, the 4010 is rated at 31dB).
I don't have any of the hardware, so I'll have to buy bit all and build it from nothing.

Any Kodi alternative? Or would I just be better off streaming through the browser? I may have to look into Plex, although this is (and will always be) the only TV in the house, it may be nice to stream to our phones or laptop.

Yeah, the projector is going to be the loudest. It will be in a cabinet to the left of the couch, which will be my wife's side, cause she is deaf in that ear 🙂 Also the reason the sound system isn't going to be a huge priority.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Quote: Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post

One of those CPU's would save me the upfront cost of having to buy a GPU which would be nice and I could always add one later on of needed, but will they handle games on Dolphin and PCSX2 without issue? I do like the lower TDP though. As far as the case, I'm going to be honest... I didn't even look at the measurements on that case (I hate that everything is in mm and has to be converted), I just picked one I thought would looked ok under the screen that didn't cost an arm and a leg. The MAX (not including room for airflow) available space I have for a case is 20" W x 13" H x 24" D.
Requirements for Dolphin and PCSX2 are both minimal. A Ryzen APU is more than adequate at running both.
The selected case will easily fit within the space available. For am HTPC build it is huge though:

440mm (W) x 170mm (H) x 358mm (D), 26.8 liters
17.32" (W) x 6.69" (H) x 14.09" (D), 26.8 liters

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't built a PC in about 4 years now and a LOT of new hardware has been released since then, so I'm pretty in the dark about the capabilities of these newer CPUs and GPUs.

Probably not.

I don't have any of the hardware, so I'll have to buy bit all and build it from nothing.

Any Kodi alternative? Or would I just be better off streaming through the browser? I may have to look into Plex, although this is (and will always be) the only TV in the house, it may be nice to stream to our phones or laptop.

Yeah, the projector is going to be the loudest. It will be in a cabinet to the left of the couch, which will be my wife's side, cause she is deaf in that ear 🙂 Also the reason the sound system isn't going to be a huge priority.
It depends on what kind of content you are streaming. I prefer a browser/windows 10 apps vs. Kodi, which (although not exclusively) is geared toward umm... less-than-legal streaming. Never actually set it up myself, just seen it at various friends/families places. I much prefer ripping my blurays to my server and using plex to play them wherever.

If you have cable you can probably go to the channels website (abc.com for example) and login and stream from them. I find the quality to be more than acceptable. For things like HBO/other premium channels, I found that Amazon has the best PQ by far (HBOgo looks terrible compared to HBO on Amazon; at least it did when I still had HBO).

If that is your only PC in the house, but you have smart TVs elsewhere (or watch content on your phone/laptop/tablet), it might be worthwhile to use plex if you have a lot of local content. Otherwise, it would be much easier to just use a stand-alone media player. Plex does have the benefit of looking nice/having better sorting options than files/subfolders in a 'media' folder in Windows.

Also, as far as a 2200g is concerned, check this out if you have not:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ricwin View Post
Requirements for Dolphin and PCSX2 are both minimal. A Ryzen APU is more than adequate at running both.
The selected case will easily fit within the space available. For am HTPC build it is huge though:

440mm (W) x 170mm (H) x 358mm (D), 26.8 liters
17.32" (W) x 6.69" (H) x 14.09" (D), 26.8 liters
It is probably huge for an HTPC, but for the price I really like the look of it and the extra size (for me anyway) is actually kind of a good thing. I would hate to have a tiny 4" tall box sitting in such a huge cubby leaving it looking empty. There are a few other things to this case that I like as well... The extra room will provide additional airflow, possibly make it a bit quieter and the biggest thing (for me) is that it uses 120mm fans, which I really prefer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
It depends on what kind of content you are streaming. I prefer a browser/windows 10 apps vs. Kodi, which (although not exclusively) is geared toward umm... less-than-legal streaming. Never actually set it up myself, just seen it at various friends/families places. I much prefer ripping my blurays to my server and using plex to play them wherever.

If you have cable you can probably go to the channels website (abc.com for example) and login and stream from them. I find the quality to be more than acceptable. For things like HBO/other premium channels, I found that Amazon has the best PQ by far (HBOgo looks terrible compared to HBO on Amazon; at least it did when I still had HBO).

If that is your only PC in the house, but you have smart TVs elsewhere (or watch content on your phone/laptop/tablet), it might be worthwhile to use plex if you have a lot of local content. Otherwise, it would be much easier to just use a stand-alone media player. Plex does have the benefit of looking nice/having better sorting options than files/subfolders in a 'media' folder in Windows.

Also, as far as a 2200g is concerned, check this out if you have not:
Yeah, I've read that Kodi has a lot of less-than-legal content, which I'll try to avoid, but since I refuse to move to windows 10 (let's not get into why) and trying to navigate windows may turn out to be a pain from the couch, I'll probably have to at least give Kodi a try to know if it's going to be for me.

I don't have cable, nor will I, so the PQ for streaming premium channels shouldn't be an issue.

The 4010 will be the only "TV" in the house, but there will be 2 smart-phones, 1 gaming desktop, and 1 laptop. The HTPC will store all of my media, so I suppose I could use it as a Plex server as well. That way if I'm not home, I could still access the content with a phone or laptop.

That video was EXTREMELY helpful!! Especially when I saw him play God of War. I tried playing that on my old gaming rig on PCSX2 (before I got a decent graphics card) and was definitely playable, but it would stutter when there were a lot of enemies on screen. It's nice to see how smoothly it plays on the 2200G.

Ok, so here is my revised build. I will be shopping around for better prices on each item, along with looking up coupon codes, plus I'll be getting 2% off of everything by paying with a cash-back credit card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sRsBtg

Last edited by Animag771; 01-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

That video was EXTREMELY helpful!! Especially when I saw him play God of War. I tried playing that on my old gaming rig on PCSX2 (before I got a decent graphics card) and was definitely playable, but it would stutter when there were a lot of enemies on screen. It's nice to see how smoothly it plays on the 2200G.

Ok, so here is my revised build. I will be shopping around for better prices on each item, along with looking up coupon codes, plus I'll be getting 2% off of everything by paying with a cash-back credit card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZWQxdX

Dont get 2400Mhz RAM if you use Ryzen, go for faster speeds like 3000 or 3200, and make sure to check the motherboard QVL for compatible RAM.
Considering the case is quite large with ample CPU clearance, I would get a small tower cooler rather than a low profile one. That being said, you could easily use the supplied AMD cooler on a Ryzen as they're pretty damn good for a free cooler.

Other than that, looks fine. Personally I'd replace the SSD with an M.2 form factor boot drive and move bulk storage to NAS, but thats not always an option for people.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2696 (Unique: 1603)
Sory never mind my mistake

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in